Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 3:57pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « O2 bubbler question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   O2 bubbler question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: O2 bubbler question  (Read 543 times)
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

O2 bubbler question
« on: Feb 27th, 2006, 11:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

When my hubby had my tank refilled at the welding place, a discussion about welders vs medical O2 came up. The guy said the only real difference is moisture content. He said welders O2 can have more moisture. Is that true? If it is, then should I still use a bubbler? I'm living in the desert where most days the average humidity is in the negative numbers...
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

Re: O2 bubbler question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 12:32am »

Hi Nani,
It's Howard Clustervilles Resident Respiratory Therapist / Pre Med Student. No you can’t humidify a Non Re-breather nor can you a simple mask.  This is for a couple reasons one is because of the liter flow needed for both is too high for the bubbler and two moister will disrupt the valves and reservoir bag on the NRB.  I am afraid that drinking more H2O is gonna be the only way to compensate for the drying out that you might be getting from the O2.  
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 2:52am »

The medical supply place I use advised against it and seeing as how I listen so well...I tried the bubbler thing.  

First I tried a home made mayonaise jar bubbler.  At 15lpm, the bag got wet and the valves stuck.  Plus, it seemed like the flow rate was cut way down by the moisture.  Didn't like that.

Then I tried a "real" bubbler from the medical supply house - same story.  
IP Logged
Ueli

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 9:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Iron (steel) + oxygen --> rust

So why don't we hear all the time about exploding rusted up oxygen tanks?

Because some water must be present for rust to form. Therefore, oxygen under high pressure, be it for medical or welding use, must be absolutely free of water. My tanks come with a leaflet that says: water content less than 0.2 ppm. Even scuba divers who fill their tanks with plain air, including all pollutants, must make sure to remove all traces of water.

In the lung the air (or oxygen) must be saturated with water vapor. If you want to supply all that water from your mucous membranes in your nose and throat it's your choice. I use a bubbler to combat drying out my membranes. I've never seen a drop of water in the 30 feet hose nor in the reservoir bag, even less I ever had water clogging the valves.    

PFNADs, Ueli                  smokin

IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 4:16pm »

Ive been using a bubbler with a non-rebreather mask for years with no problem.

Although, the first time I used it I filled the bubbler more than half way with water, I almost drowned.....LOL Grin

Now I just fill it one fourth of the way and there is no problem what so ever!

Gator, drop the water level down and give it a try, youll be amazed Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #5 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 4:39pm »

on Feb 28th, 2006, 4:16pm, Jonny wrote:

Although, the first time I used it I filled the bubbler more than half way with water, I almost drowned.....LOL Grin

I HAVE SEEN THAT SOOOOOOOOO  MANY TIMES  ROFLMAO!!!
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 7:08pm »

on Mar 1st, 2006, 4:39pm, mynm156 wrote:
I HAVE SEEN THAT SOOOOOOOOO  MANY TIMES  ROFLMAO!!!

Dude, I was soaked...It fuckin Tsunami'ed my ass....LOL Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 1st, 2006, 8:36pm »

You can do without a bubbler on the welding tank, but it will dry your throat and nose out badly.

I always use one, and like they say......DO NOT FILL MORE THAN ONE QUARTER FULL.  It will go everywhere.

Now, I have blown up a bubbler with my welding 02.....had the pressure just a wee bit high.

Rox
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss