Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 7:38pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « ? on Verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   ? on Verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ? on Verapamil  (Read 633 times)
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

? on Verapamil
« on: Mar 10th, 2006, 11:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My most recent cycle ended about 4 weeks ago.  I did a pred taper and was up to 480mg of Verapamil at the end of my cycle.  I have been reducing the Verap about 120mg a week and everything is just fine until I drop below 120mg.  When I drop to 60 mg after about three days I begin to get shadowing and then last night I was awoken (is that a word?) three different times with Kip 4-5 shadowing that I was able to relieve with O2 rather quickly.  The good news is I finally got to try my clustermask which arrived after my cycle ended.  It's awesome!  After the third HA I took a Relpax (elitriptran) and have been fine since.  Needless to say, I pumped the Verap back up to 120mg this morning and plan on holding there another week or so before attempting another taper.
Does anyone else have trouble getting completely off of Verapamil between annual cycles or have suggestions for another approach?  

I really would like to get completely off of meds at some point?

Rich

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006, 11:48am by Richr8 » IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
dejay
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: ? on Verapamil
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 12:36pm »

Hey, I'm really new here but I'm glad you asked that question and be looking foward to responses. I take 240 vera, 120, twice a day. I thought I was done with cycle twice now, but each time I tried to cut out 1 dose, got hit again. so I'm confused. In past, cycle just ended and I knew it, now I don't know what to think.

dejay
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 12:40pm »

You can get 80mg tablets too.. would it be worth maybe using them to taper with and taking that bit slower that way?
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 12:47pm »

on Mar 10th, 2006, 12:36pm, dejay wrote:
but each time I tried to cut out 1 dose, got hit again.

Try breaking one in half and step down by 60mg instead of 120. Like I said that works fine for me until I get below 120.  Just a note, I do notice mild shadowing each time I step down and it typically goes away after a day or two. Just seem to be having a problem from 120 to 60.

pf wishes,

Rich  
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 2:29pm »

That's pretty quick!

I was on 560 and Dr. Sheftell (NECH)
had me taper 40 mg. per week. It took me weeks to be med free.
Each time I tapered I would have an increase in attacks.

Now I am med free and I feel great!!!

Still have attacks but feeling good.

It appears you are still in cycle or beginning a new one.

Good luck my friend!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 2:54pm »

on Mar 10th, 2006, 2:29pm, E-Double wrote:
Each time I tapered I would have an increase in attacks.

Sound just like what I'm going through.  I guess I'll continue to step back, just more slowly.  I'll talk to the doc about some other size tablets I can play with.  Perhaps 40 mg as you suggested.

I hope things are going well for you.

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 5:49pm »

on Mar 10th, 2006, 11:44am, Richr8 wrote:
everything is just fine until I drop below 120mg.  

Don't be in a hurry to rock the boat if you're continuing to get prevention at 120mg, it can be a dream situation when it's still working for you at that level after being at 480.  
  Trying to get completely off too quickly is like just wearing long sleeve shirts outside but wanting to put them away for the season too early and wear t-shirts, it's not a big deal when you remember the sweaters and overcoat you wore a month ago, be patient.  

* oh, you're from Tucson, AZ.  nevermind.   Grin
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2006, 10:19pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 7:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If your getting hit at the lower doses of the verap then I would say you are not out of cycle.

I dont stop the verap (480 mg) until I've had two solid weeks of no hits and good sleep.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10th, 2006, 8:58pm »

I cant taper on it.  I am up to 240 mg twice a day and if I come down man my clusters go CRAZY  like my head is spasms.  

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 3:10am »

Like the Chewy guy said wait at least 2 weeks with no hits before starting to taper.

Verapamil sometimes, at the correct dosage can lull the CH in to thinking it is gone but actually you are not out of cycle yet.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Kate in Oz
New Board Old Timer
Australia 

339600790 339600790    

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 4:55am »

Hi,  this is an interesting thread and just wondering if anyone has had this....    

I started getting twinges mid Feb so started on the verap 80mgx3 a day .... since then been shadowing pretty much 24/7.  (Last cycle on same dose)  Came very close to a full on hit yesterday about kip 6 - slight head banger and woke this morning (4am) with a banger on the other side??

Last cycle I noticed I shadowed more than any other time I can recall... especially after the hits stopped.

My question is...  does Verapimil increase the shadows or is it just that I'm shadowing rather than getting the big ones??

Appreciate any responses and hope this won't be seen as a hijak   figure its related  Grin

Good luck tapering off the meds Rich.  My last cycle when I was stopping the verap I ended up bitting the bullet and stopping despite the increasing pain.  Had to put up with a few days of really bad shadows and then that was it - all gone.   ????  Everyone here says you have to taper and I figure they do know best so ..... just my experience.  I'm not a fan of meds.

Kate
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 9:08am »

Kate

Sounds like an opportune time for a pred. taper. Might knock it out entirely.
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Thank you all...
« Reply #12 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 1:56pm »

...for your responses.  Did I mention I love this place.  It looks like patiecne is the key.  I popped back up to 120mg and the last twenty four hours I've been fine.  I'll wait a couple of weeks and then to talk to the Neuro about a scrip for smaler tablets, say 80mg.  I'll also donsider toughing out a couple of days of discomfort toward the end to get past this stuff.  
Feeling great right now.

thanks again,

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

dejay
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 4:07pm »

Hey Rich, hope your thread helped, it helped me. I like what Kevin said, don't rock the boat. I guess I'm still not out of cycle. It's confusing and wasn't like this last time. But I'm taking 120 vera, twice a day, and have really been almost pain free for 3 weeks, have slept every night, and just get "hits" I guess between 4:30-6:30 in afternoon.

This can be so confusing and is really doing a job on my mind, not just my head.
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Yeah, it looks like I may be...
« Reply #14 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 5:54pm »

...stuck on the Verap for a while.   I never did get below 120mg between my "rogue" bout last summer and my normal annual cycle this fall, though it sounds like a 60mg reduction may be too much too fast.  I'm going to talk to my neuro about getting some 80mg tabs that I can break in half and see how reducing by 40mg goes after a couple of more pf weeks at 120mg.

pf wishes,

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

jon019

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 9:49pm »

Hello all,

Started on 480 mg day to stop cycle which along with solu-medrol did! Since then reduced to 240 per day with good results. Following great advice here tried reducing more so I could use when cycle restarted. If I get below 160 per day the shadows are constant and ramp up to a kip 1-3. Scary!. I then have to bump back to 240. Sigh, I wanna cut back to have it still in the arsenal.

Regards

Jon
IP Logged
dejay
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 4:38pm »

I just noticed after weeks of looking at it that the verapamil I have is 120 extended release. Do I have the wrong type? It says you can't split these. Also, how long does 1 last? I've been using twice a day, at 3 afternoon and 11 at night. I thought I was done with cycle again, no hits or shadows for 3 days, than got one yesterday afternoon. Anyway, I'm stuck with these pills, went through hell with insurance for 2 weeks, they insist on mail order and finally mailed today. Made me get 3 months worth. Hope I don't need that many.

dejay
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 8:36pm »

It took me a full 5 months to completely wean off Verapamil after my last cycle.  Luckily I'm one of those 3-5 year people.  I was stuck at 120mg/day for about 6 weeks before I was able to stop without shadowing.  

Even after totally stopping, I had "twinges" for a few weeks more.  As they say .... "Slow, but steady wins the race."

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss