Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 2:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « ? for those who've taken antidepressants... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   ? for those who've taken antidepressants...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ? for those who've taken antidepressants...  (Read 484 times)
Melissa

Email

? for those who've taken antidepressants...
« on: Mar 11th, 2006, 7:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Just wondering if anyone had weight gain after stopping their antidepressants?  This is the 1st time it's ever happened to me, and I'm wondering if it's a possible withdrawl effect.  I'm going to call my doc regardless to check for any thyroid problems, as I have never had my weight climb like this before after eating right and exercising each morning. Undecided

BTW, I had taken Cymbalta for 5 months and my last pill was about a month ago.

Thanks,
Melissa
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

Re: ? for those who've taken antidepressants...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 8:38am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Not to scare you, but...

was eating more perhaps a symptom of feeling deppressed or anxious or stressed before?

If so, stopping the antidepressant could result in falling back into that habit.

I'm not saying this is the case, but it is a possibility.....

Hugs,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 8:49am »

Gaining weight is a common known sideeffect of antidepressive medication over here.

Svenn "that refuse to use them"  

Mainly bc Bente keep nagging me about my "airbag is way to big as it is"for some reason

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 8:53am »

Also, I actually lost weight while on Cymbalta, so in reality I may have gained by going off it simply because I got my appetite back.  But I can't remember at this point!

Most antidepressants do make you gain, though...  ugh
IP Logged

Melissa

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 9:10am »

Carrie- Nope.  I've been doing really good and was taking the Cymbalta for anxiety, not depression (yeah I know ALL about how anxiety is a form of depression, yadda yadda yadda Roll Eyes).  And when I'm anxiety ridden and depressed, I LOSE weight.  I honestly think the Cymbalta screwed up my metabolism. Undecided

Svenn- I didn't gain weight while ON the med, I started gaining when I went off.  I also wasn't exercising when I was on the Cymbalta, so am wondering if I'm retaining more water due to it being added?

Cripes, this sux. Angry  I had so wanted to lose some weight before this summer, but it looks like everyone's going to have to deal with me 20lbs heavier than I was 3 years ago. Sad  Oh well, in between that time I did have a miscarriage, quit smoking and developed anxiety.  Even though I hate having excuses, it's all I got right now.... Undecided
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2006, 9:11am by Melissa » IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11th, 2006, 11:46am »

I have gone off lots of different antidepressant meds and not gained wait until I just went off cymbalta.  I gained about 10 pounds when I went off.  Could be coincidence.  Your suppose to gain wait while on it (which I didn't) not when you go off of it.  Hmmm.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Melissa

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13th, 2006, 2:21pm »

Karla, that IS quite the coincidence!  My weight is finally budging, but I've noticed that if I don't eat enough, my body hangs onto any water in my fat cells, hence the weight gain.

2.5 pounds and losing!

Cripes, this sucks!
IP Logged
ABarham
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

weezerbarham  

« Reply #7 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 10:40am »

Yes it does suck.  I have recently been put on Zoloft, taken off Prozac.  I had not connected the 2, but on Zoloft I have noticed a significant gain.  I know I am eating more but had not connected it to the Zoloft.  HUMMMMMMM, better talk to the doc and see if there is something that I can take that will not make me inhale everything I see.

Mama Weezer
IP Logged

Louise
Mother of CH son
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 15th, 2006, 10:45pm »

I recently came off ENDEP after three months.
There was a small loss in weight that was more than usual; only 2 pounds but I put that down to it being summer over here and I usually loose between a 1/4 - 1/2 a stone over the summer period, 9 & a half stone at end of winter & 9 stone at the end of summer.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
cootie
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

sumday I'm gonna be sumbody........ ..

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16th, 2006, 10:45pm »

I won't take anitidepressants cuz of weight gain cuz that causes a MORE serious depression or anxiety for me in the long run and then I am stuck ! I took Paxil for about 2 or 3 years and gained weight slowly but didn't seem to worry till one day I realized I had gained alot of weight and didn't like how I looked and started to dread doin the fun things cuz of haveing to wear baggy clothes and I felt miserable....short and squat is not my thing. So I quit the paxil and man oh man I could NOT loose and seem'd to gain more and more ! I got back into working out and tryin to watch what I ate but it got worse and worse. I retained water like no tomarrow and seem'd to gain more from less. Took me about 6 months to start looseing and once I noticed the difference I got even better sticking to some sort of diet. But.....I took paxil at a time where it held off some mid life crisis stuff and when I quit it it all CUT LOOSE and I dealt with nausia and felt HORRIBLE for two years. Too much started to change at once.....I lost ALOT of weight within 2 weeks time and that's not cool but it started to really come off fast. So for you it mite just be a time frame thing......I tried celexa or whatever it's called antidepressang and LOST weight cuz I lost my appitite but I still didn't like how WIERD I felt. Draggy and my jaw was too tight and chronic yawning which that stuff can cause for a while. I won't take any of that stuff now.....my doc tried to get me to take that stuff you just quit and I said NO WAY.....he said it worked for some pain control issues. But for me to GAIN weight adds to my back issues so that would of been a real catch 22. Your motabolism is probly outa wack........took me a total of two years to get mine more NORMAL to where I gain if I eat more and loose if I don't verses gain weight breathing air !!! Life's a beach Pam
IP Logged

Cause and Effect......"Cause is the effect concealed, Effect is the cause revealed"

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss