Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 6:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH and apnea »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH and apnea
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH and apnea  (Read 474 times)
peep_nugget
New Board Newbie
Canada 

http://www.geoc ities.com/peep_ nugget/geekdog3 0jul0

peep_nugget  
WWW Email

CH and apnea
« on: Mar 27th, 2006, 3:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has there been any studies between CH and sleep apnea disorders?

IP Logged
floridian

Email

Re: CH and apnea
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27th, 2006, 4:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes, its more common, and it may be a trigger.  

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Apnea
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 4:03pm »

There are also abstracts on Ch and Apnea from various sources listed here:

http://www.ouch-us.org/chgeneral/apnea.htm

IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 4:26pm »

: Headache. 2004 Jun;44(6):607-10.  

Obstructive sleep apnea and cluster headache.

Graff-Radford SB, Newman A.

The Pain Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.

A patient with cluster headache often wakes from sleep. The relationship to sleep apnea has been described. This study sought to confirm the relationship cluster may have with sleep apnea. METHODS: Thirty-nine consecutive patients diagnosed with episodic cluster headache according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria were sent for polysomnographic studies. All patients were in an active phase when they were in the study. Patients were told of the proposed relationship and were allowed to choose a sleep laboratory close to their home. RESULTS: Thirty-one patients with episodic cluster headache completed an overnight polysomnographic study. Twenty-three were male and eight female. The average age was 51 years (range 33 to 78 years). The average weight was 173 pounds (range 117 to 260 pounds). A total of 80.64% had sleep apnea (25/31). Average respiratory depression index (RDI) was 19.0 (SD 14.6) with 6 patients having no apnea, 10 having mild, 11 having moderate, and 4 having severe apnea (RDI < 5 = none; RDI 5 to 20 mild; RDI 20 to 40 moderate; RDI > 40 severe). Oxygen saturation decreased on average to 88.4% SD 4.5. Sleep efficiency was 76.2% (SD 13.4). CONCLUSIONS: The data closely approximate those of Chervin et al, where 80% had RDI > 5. The relationship sleep apnea has in the perpetuation or precipitation of cluster headache is still to be determined. There are some reports that treatment stops the cluster but there is no prospective study. The high incidence (80.64%) seen in this population suggests the cluster patient should receive a sleep evaluation and perhaps intervention with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) or an appropriate dental device.

PMID: 15186306 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 12:03pm »

CPAP has not stopped my Clusters but has helped with AM headaches due to decreased oxygen saturations through the night. I think that it is just a statistical anomaly. We could hypothesize and make hundreds of correlations like smoking, over weight, drink milk, hypertension, etc. etc. just as these example papers listed in this tread show. However, having worked with, studied and completed my education in polysomnography (SLEEP STUDIES). So many people with sleep apnea do not have clusters I am convinced they are not related. Six out of every one hundred middle aged adults have sleep apnea an estimated 18 million in the U.S. have been diagnosed. There are thousands more who have not been diagnosed I might entertain the thought that more chronics have sleep apnea but it does not make sense that episodic cluster heads would. Sleep apnea does not stop when your cycle does and if it is a possible trigger (which I think is a bad term here it s being more looked at as a cause of) then why would it not continue. Just goes to show that the beast is a non-discriminatory, equal opportunity beast that continues to defy modern medicine.
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 9:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Mar 30th, 2006, 12:03pm, mynm156 wrote:
. We could hypothesize and make hundreds of correlations like smoking, over weight, drink milk, hypertension, etc. etc. just as these example papers listed in this tread show.

Yes, but so many of these variables are collinear.  The fact that obesity, hypertension, smoking, heart disease and diet are all correlated to each other in various ways doesn't mean that smoking and diet don't often feed into hypertension and heart disease, etc etc.  

Quote:

However, having worked with, studied and completed my education in polysomnography (SLEEP STUDIES). So many people with sleep apnea do not have clusters I am convinced they are not related.  Six out of every one hundred middle aged adults have sleep apnea an estimated 18 million in the U.S. have been diagnosed.

Yes, if 60% to 80% of clusterheads have apnea. Is that a coincidence that the rate is 10X higher?  I don't think so.  

You are right that it is complicated - we don't know what is causing what, or what the relationship between these conditions is.  But there is evidence that something is going on.  
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2006, 9:32pm by floridian » IP Logged
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #6 on: Apr 4th, 2006, 5:43pm »

THANK YOU for posting this info!  I've told hubby for years he's got sleep apnea.  Obviously everyone (docs) have told him to take this seriously.  But he's such an insomniac to begin with, and the idea of being monitored while asleep in some "sleep center" just wasn't his thing....

But now that we count the pf days few and far between, this relationship between sleep apnea and CH is just the kick in the ass he needed to get moving on this....
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss