Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 4:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « verap and breakthrough HAs. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   verap and breakthrough HAs.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: verap and breakthrough HAs.  (Read 453 times)
peep_nugget
New Board Newbie
Canada 

http://www.geoc ities.com/peep_ nugget/geekdog3 0jul0

peep_nugget  
WWW Email

verap and breakthrough HAs.
« on: Mar 27th, 2006, 3:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm currently on 10mg of Paxil and 240 mg of verap...my cycle actually started ramping up about two months ago, but i started this treatment approx. two weeks ago when my HAs hit the three/day mark.

it seemed to be a good combo for a couple of weeks, but for the second time in 3 days i'm having breakthrough headaches (in conjunction with the general headaches i seem to be experiencing from the verap).

i've seen from other posts that many people are on a much higher dose of verap than i am, and am wondering if this is a function of breakthroughs.

thanks!

Leanne
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

Re: verap and breakthrough HAs.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27th, 2006, 4:09pm »

For me, when episodic, there was a level of verap which would work for a period of time well, but at some point there seemed to be a sort of mid-cycle peak whereas I'd have to add a bit as hits began to come through.    
  Towards the end of an episode I'd be able to slowly taper to 240mg verap but anytime earlier in that period, breakthroughs would have been frequent at that level.  Keep in contact with your doctor about how it is going, he may initiate some flexibility in your treatment if he knows about it.

on Mar 27th, 2006, 3:48pm, peep_nugget wrote:
but for the second time in 3 days i'm having breakthrough headaches (in conjunction with the general headaches i seem to be experiencing from the verap).

ps.  I experience a kind of "almost wants to breakthrough" headache pain called shadows, along with some breakthrough hits when the verap dosage is a bit light or undergunned as a preventative.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2006, 4:21pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
peep_nugget
New Board Newbie
Canada 

peep_nugget  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27th, 2006, 4:24pm »

my doctor, as are most in this god-forsaken province of Saskatchewan, know nothing about CHs.

In fact, when my cycle started again, I went to see four different (including one emerg doc who prescribed oxycontin, blick), none of whom knew anything, nor wanted to.

i brought the CH info with me, they asked me what i wanted and then prescribed it. one guy even said that he didn't want to read the literature (this is the only doc in my town of 600 people, the nearest "city" is an hour away).

so here i am self-prescribing.

we moved back here (i grew up here) from the Seattle area about two years ago - and i'm so fed up with the health care system that i could spit.

doctors do not want to be here (it would seem that nobody does), and consequently we get the dregs and quacks...

so, after the visit to the ER, i've been referred back to the same neuro (appointment is a month away) from my childhood, it didn't seem that he could help me at that time.

i hope he can help me now, because i should be nice and messed up by the time april 17th rolls around...

in the meantime, did you double dose your verap, gradually ramp up to more, or cut pills to get a higher dose?
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27th, 2006, 4:42pm »

I understand your situation but there are blood pressure issues here which a doctor needs to take into account and monitor, as mine does; reactions can occur.  As a new treatment, more pronounced side effects can be experienced for awhile.

Any change in verapamil should always be done very gradually.
« Last Edit: Mar 27th, 2006, 4:47pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2006, 11:47am »

Leanne,

when I used verapamil year ago, my dose was 600mg/day.  

I started with 200mg (and dose of prednisone), then it went up to 400mg when 200ng wasn't enough to stop the hits and I fainted because of the side effects. 400mg dose didn't help, but when I begin to take 600mg all the side effects vanished and it sent ch to remission.

My doc said that when you take higher doses, the side effects vanish - that's why my dose whent slowly up.
I do hope that you'll find a combo which works with your ch. Smiley

Wishing you PFdays,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 6:02pm »

Peep,
There are actually people in the U.S. that think y'all have a better health care system.  Tongue Guess they need to talk to you, huh?  My Dr. doesn't want me to take more than 240 mg of Verap becasue my blood pressure is already kinda low.  But I confess, I have cut those 240's in half and taken an extra 120 mgs just to see what would happen.  Nothing happened.  Sooo, Guess it would have to be higher.  Or else its not working.  However, I really feel a bit wrong, changing my own dosage...probably should let a Dr. do that.  Then I have someoneelse to blame Grin
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
peep_nugget
New Board Newbie
Canada 

peep_nugget  
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 6:13pm »

yeah, i think i'll find another doctor to ask...

actually, during the six years i spent in the US, i had fantastic health care - it was prompt and informed.

i think the problem here is that the docs are being paid by the gov't, so there is no incentive...  

docs in my prov, anyways, seem quite apathetic and uninformed. small towns are particularly bad because nobody wants to live here (i commute 60 miles each way, every day, to the city).

there will be some who disagree with me - but...at least if you need it, the emergency care is there (although you may have to wait several hours to get care), and its free to the user.

anyways...i have an appointment with the oldest neurologist on the planet on the 17th of april, perhaps he can shed some light on the situation for me.

otherwise, i'm about to give up. i've had CH for most of my life and i'm starting to believe there's nothing that'll work...

just have to put up with it the best i can.
IP Logged
Mattrf
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Thank god for my wife and kids who keep me alive.

Mattrf  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 12:18pm »

Maybe you should send all the information about CH to him before you go with a pleading letter for him to read the information so he would better be able to help you?
Maybe request your medical records from the US as well and give that to him so he can see the history you have with CH. I bombarded my doc with the information and he is being much better now. Just a thought.
IP Logged

There is no stronger a person then one who can deal with brain pain and still function.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss