Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 10:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Preventive: A dose of Turmeric »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Preventive: A dose of Turmeric
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Preventive: A dose of Turmeric  (Read 399 times)
dealsmafia
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Preventive: A dose of Turmeric
« on: Mar 29th, 2006, 2:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been a sufferer of CH and tried several remedies, and doctor's visits; but nothing worked.  In fact, I did'nt even know this was called CH, until I visited webmd and this site.

Well, after taking advils, tylenol's....finally I ran into some people who prefer herbs to medications.
I was asked to try turmeric with a glass of milk before, I sleep every night.

Recently, in early March 2006 my cluster cycle began, and so I gave this a try, and it seems to be working for a week now.  Although, the person who suggested I try this mentioned it was a long-term preventive solution (which means it could take some time to be cured, if so).

Here's some info, I came across on this spice:
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,10062,00.ht ml

Though, there was a time I had brandy, and I seemed to have the shadow headache which went away.  But again this was the first week.

I usually have most of my headaches at night, but often in the days between 1p.m. and 3 p.m.

Turmeric can be found at some Indian (Asian) grocery stores in the area. A lot of Indian dishes have this spice.    
I usually take a quarter spoon with a glass of milk at night.  

My other medications: One-a-day multi-vitamins.

My age: 28.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: Preventive: A dose of Turmeric
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 3:55pm »

Just out of curiosity how do you take the turmeric? IN the milk or on its own or what? All I know about turmeric is it turns everything yellow and it's a pig to clean up if you spill it while cooking!
I can honestly say I've never heard of this one before, but as you say, you can pick it up on the herbs and spices shelf in any supermarket.
Good luck if you've found something that works for you. I cook an awful lot of curries and I use alot of turmeric amongst other spices but I can't say its been any help to me, maybe it needs to be "uncooked"?
My mother in law had a really nasty cut on her ankle in India and it was in quite a mess. The guide who took them into the jungle put some turmeric on it and t had healed within a couple of days and didn't even scar. I've seen photo's of the cut and I'm amazed she got away without any visible scar.
I hope it continues to work for you
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

dealsmafia
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 5:16pm »

True, we use it in a lot of dishes too.  Though, I was told the trick is to have some with milk before you sleep, for those nasty headaches in the middle of the night.

Yeah, I've seen it work wonders on a fresh wound, and stop bleeding like a miracle.
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006, 5:16pm by dealsmafia » IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 6:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yeah, I have been speculating on turmeric (curcumin) for a while. It shares some modes of action in the body with lithium and corticosteroids, but lacks the side effects.  

Turmeric is only a few percent curcumin, and a person would have to eat an ounce or two of the spice daily to get the same amount in a tablet or two of the concentrated extract (the amount used for diseases like arthritis).  

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Curcumin

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006, 6:11pm by floridian » IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 30th, 2006, 3:25pm »

Thanks for the sites.

Charlotte
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss