Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 5:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « moisturizer for O2? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   moisturizer for O2?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: moisturizer for O2?  (Read 509 times)
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

moisturizer for O2?
« on: Mar 31st, 2006, 10:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am curious as to how many people use O2 with no humidifier vs how many with humidifier.
I dont use one, and when I use the O2 my mouth and throat get extremely dry.  I have been looking at getting a water bubbler thing.
There are some water containers that are refillable and there are some that are enclosed and come pre-filled with about 5 ounces of distilled water.  When its empty, just throw it away and put on a new one.
Which one is more common amongst yous guys?
Any advice for me before I get a bubbler?
Is there a noticable difference in the moisture when you use a bubbler?  
How much water do you go through per portable tank of O2?

Thanks a lot  
B$
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: moisturizer for O2?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 10:22am »

The advice I've been given is that you shouldn't fill the bubbler more than 1/4 of the way. You'll end up inhaling water otherwise. You can always buy distilled water to refill one yourself.  
(I haven't needed any O2 since I got that advice, so I can't give you a personal account)
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #2 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 4:44pm »

If you are using a Non-rebreather or even this clustermasx the humidifiers that you will get from your oxygen supplier or anywhere are not designed to support the high flows that you will require. In addition, you will not be on the O2 long enough to suffer much drying out that cannot be cured by drinking more water. Furthermore, the reservoir bags and valves on each of these devices will trap some of the water and probably not function as they are supposed to i.e. valve gets stuck open on the bag and you are now using what is called a partial rebreather and not receiving 100% oxygen. Also the left over moister will make a nice breeding ground for bacteria.
 So drink more water and you will be fine.  

Good Vibes

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 2nd, 2006, 9:45pm »

Hi BMoonee
This is a copy of a reply I put in the post started by Chuck.
Perhaps I should place it as a new subject.
There is also a link to a pic of the bubbler I made that works really well and is as cheap as chips.

Kind Regards
Barry

Copied from other thread
Been doing a little experimenting with bubbler / humidifiers for putting moisture into the o2.  
Below is a link to Mr. Happy’s site that shows a pic of the bubbler I am using, thanks once again Randy for providing a source for the pic’s.  

http://www.mushys.com/kiwi/bubbler2.jpg  

The bubbler I am using is just a 750 ml water bottle with 2 holes drilled in the cap and an air stone that should be available at any store that sells aquarium fish supplies.  

I tried a little experiment to see just how much the bubbler would increase the moisture level in the o2 and the results are set out below.  

The instrument I used is an RS components humidity & temperature meter ( just back from calibration).  
The flow rate was set at 10 litres / Minute  
Room temp was 25 oC  
Room RH was 81 %  

RH = Relative Humidity  

The first figure is the RH & the second is the temperature of the air in the test chamber.  

o2 with no bubbler   1%    24  

o2 with air hose only    43.1%    25  

o2 with air hose & air stone  50%    25.1  

I have been using this setup for some weeks now and have never come out with a dry mouth and throat.  

Hope this helps out for anyone who hasn’t seen a bubbler before.  
Kind Regards  
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:53am »

Again sorry guys but these oxygen delivery systems are not meant to be humidified.  Sure you cane probably figure a way out to do as it seems many of you have but it doesnt mean that that is how it should be done.  I understand that given your respiratory rate you get a little dry while doing this but I bet followed by a glass of water you are fine.  You are asking for bacterial growth that is just not what you need besides the fact that when you add humidity to the valves they stick and you are no longer getting the 100 % O2 that the system is designed to deliver.  Just drink the extra water.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:54am by mynm156 » IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss