Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 12:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « o2 am I doing it right? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   o2 am I doing it right?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: o2 am I doing it right?  (Read 393 times)
Mattrf
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Thank god for my wife and kids who keep me alive.

Mattrf  
Email

o2 am I doing it right?
« on: Mar 31st, 2006, 10:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have read all the info on the site for o2 and just got mine late last night. I used it about 9:00 then again about 9:45 flow is 6 Ltr and used a non re-breather mask for 15 min.
It seemed to help then used it again this morning when I got up before my shadow started. I still have the shadow but do not seem as bad as normal.  
Question for you guys is, am I doing it right and do you have any tips on using it better?
IP Logged

There is no stronger a person then one who can deal with brain pain and still function.
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: o2 am I doing it right?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 11:01am »

6 lpm is probably not enough. Most of us use 10 - 15 lpm
Also, look at a clustermasx...it gets rave reviews.
www.clustermasx.com
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Mattrf
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Mattrf  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 11:06am »

Thanks I will try a higher flow rate tonight.
IP Logged

There is no stronger a person then one who can deal with brain pain and still function.
PV
New Board Newbie
USA 

It's been about 30 years now!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 12:28pm »

I kind of have the same question here.

Also got the O2 yesterday for the first time, had an attack at 1 am, used it for about 10 minutes and it could stop the pain.

but then I had the next attack at 3 am, then at 5 am then at 7 am

I've never before had 4 attacks in one night and my cluster period has only just started.

I had the feeling the O2 just postponed the pain, but could not really abort an attack.

anybody had similar experiences?
IP Logged
Mattrf
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Mattrf  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 1:35pm »

Well it has been 4 ½ hours since I used the o2, right after taking it I took my pain meds since I am always hit with a heavy shadow and it helps, normally by now I would have taken a second dose of pain meds but the shadow is very light, still there but not bad enough that I feel I need pain meds. It is nice to feel clear headed for a change even if it is short lived. Well if I go the rest of the day I will probably find out if I have become dependent on them and then have to deal with the feeling really sick for a couple days thing to brake it but most of us here have been through that before and luckily I have never had a hard time stopping the use of any drug even when I have become dependent on them it’s not fun but I can suffer through it, and it is worth the effort to feel somewhat normal again. Grin
IP Logged

Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 1:43pm »

Have you tried Excedrin Migraine. I use it for persjstent shadows and have afair amount of luck.  However, likea nything else, too much too often can lead to otrher problems.

pf wiahes,

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Mattrf
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Mattrf  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 1:45pm »

My shadows are bad enough that I take two Tylenol #4’s and still am in pain but it makes it manageable so the over the counter stuff has never done me any good.
IP Logged

Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 1:49pm »

The Excedrine Migraine is loaded with caffeine, which seems to make the difference.  I ionly use it after going back to the O2 several times only to have the shadows return.  
Is there any caffeine in T4?  I quit all of th other OTC stuff myself.  It generally doesn't do anything for me either.

pf wishes,  

Rich
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Melissa

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 4:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The T4's might be causing rebound HA's, basically nonstop shadows...

I'd try the Excedrin Migraine like Rich suggested (I did last cycle, only you have to be careful not to overdo it) or ginger tea or capsules for the shadows.

Those can be more cumbersome sometimes than the hits themselves!

Sorry for the pain Matt.

hugs,
mel
IP Logged
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

You're doing it right if it's disgusting. Like sex
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 6:59pm »

O2 aborts a CH. Dead. That's it. Whether you're doing a triptan, Zyprexa or a SPUT, O2 is the interim way out.....
It kills the current CH. That's it. What happens after that is up to you. A triptan? Zyprexa? SPUT? Your choice, but O2 is only for a quick abort till something else kicks in, or you're ready to O2 your way thru the day. It's a matter of choice, effect, and desired result.  

120 channels on every TV, and there's STILL nothing on.
RJ
« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2006, 7:00pm by Mr. Happy » IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Scott S
New Board Newbie
USA 

Laugh every day and you have more days to laugh!

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31st, 2006, 8:56pm »

I do think the O2 flow sounds a little low.  I usually find success with 10 L using a mask for about 15 minutes.  Fortunately or unfortunately, the alleviation of the pain will often allow me to return to sleep, only to wake up a while later with an almost empty canister.  Oh well, I'll go ahead and refill my canister every few days if I can sleep with minimal pain.

As for OTC meds, I do find that Excedrin Headache PM does help me to get drowsy enough to sleep for a while if I take it prophylactically; but in the middle of a cycle, I often need the O2 as well.  Problem on my end is that I have to take Excedrin without aspirin because I have an aspirin allergy... bummer.

Anyway, I would say try to preventatively use some OTC and increase the O2 flow when the serious pain comes on.

IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 1st, 2006, 12:49am »

I have found that using the 02 for the full 15 to 20 min an hour keeps it away longer...but that is just me..

Randy the clustermasx is working wonderful and I am diggin it .
return to your positions
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Mattrf
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Mattrf  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:15pm »

Well I have been on o2 since Thursday night and I have to agree with a lot of the people here it is good. I have had my first symptom free time in over three months. I did find that when I awoke in the morning I needed to hit it right then and not go back to sleep. I did that on Saturday and had a bad shadow all day, when I used the o2 it helped but on Sunday when I hit it the first time I awoke it made for the best day I have had in quit some time, I did hit it probably every couple hours on Sunday but it was so nice to have a clear head and some PF time.
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #13 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 1:17pm »

Matt - I think most people here would report that they have done away with the green elastic strap. You get a much better seal around the mouth and nose if you just hold it with your fingers and push it against your skin.

Just a suggestion.

Bill

P.S. - Either that or you can drink ginger tea.  Grin
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss