Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 16th, 2024, 8:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Raquetball in the shoulderblade »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Raquetball in the shoulderblade
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Raquetball in the shoulderblade  (Read 421 times)
JakeT
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Raquetball in the shoulderblade
« on: Mar 31st, 2006, 6:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm new to this web site.  Had a cluster a couple of weeks ago.  Have had CH's since high school.  Only recently self-diagnosed, thanks to this site.  

Mine are definitely triggered by tension in my neck and back.  My girlfriend, a massage therapist, gave me a massage a while back when I was in the midst of a cluster.  I said, "my neck is killing me."  She started working on my neck and I kept saying, "lower," until she was working down in my lower shoulderblade area.  She said, "honey, that's not your neck."  

Anyway, I've found that one thing that helps when I'm getting a headache is to lie on my back on the floor with a raquetball lodged in my shoulderblade.  (My massage therapist girlfreind recommended the raquetball technique.)  I kind of move around on it until it hits the right spot.  It's an intense self-administered accupressure treatment.  It varies how long it takes for it to knock out a headache to the point where I can get up headache-free.  Sometimes it only takes a few minutes; other times I've had to lie there for a good hour.  But while I'm doing it, my headache goes away.  It can be boring and painful, and I've ended up with a bruised muscle the next day, but it can be a real magic bullet sometimes.
IP Logged
Chip80
New Board Newbie
USA 

So this isn't a sinus infection?  Duh!

Email

Re: Raquetball in the shoulderblade
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have been able to abort an attack, in its early stage only, by doing something very similar.

I sat on the floor with my back to the sofa where my wife was sitting. She put her heel in between my shoulder blade and spine (right where the muscle was spasming/knotting), and I push back on her heel HARD and hold it until the tension releases.  According to my massage theropist, doing this actually decreases/stops the blood flow to the area which stops the muscle from cramping/spasming.  My CHs were brought on by a shoulder injury and resulting scare tissue.  Unless you had some type of shoulder/neck/back injury, I'm not sure why this approach would work?

However, I always cease getting massages when in a CH cycle, because the massage brings on a fierce attack.  Probably because the net affect of a massage is to increase blood flow to the head and neck, which is what you don't want to happen during a CH cycle.
IP Logged

Set a bead on the northern plains and just roll that power on!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss