Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 12:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Tracking questions - revised for more input »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Tracking questions - revised for more input
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Tracking questions - revised for more input  (Read 539 times)
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Tracking questions - revised for more input
« on: Apr 11th, 2006, 11:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've seen numerous posts indicating that meds./treatments do not work for some folks.  It's not unusual, I've had similar experiences that I track in a log.  Out of curiosity...

Do you record/analyze cycles, seasonal issues,  medication usage and treatment effectiveness?

In your regular visits with your doctor(s), how do you provide specific information related to changes in your condition and treatments?

Tom  
« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2006, 11:51am by burnt-toast » IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Questions for folks who feel meds. don't work
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 2:58pm »

I haven't saved everything, but I keep track of medication - doses and combinations of, supplements, food, weather, stress, etc.  I've logged my history, logged individual cycles, logged individual headaches.

I've had some good doctors who have moved on who helped in the past, before we had triptans.  

The beta blockers I tried sometimes caused clusters on the opposite side, including Inderal which I just stopped this week.  I had a normal one on the right and a shadow or weaker one in a different stage on the left.  They were not in sync.  I felt very lopsided.  I hope & think that it was temporary.

Also, it seems like any oral medication makes it worse, but that may be a coincidence since these just are sometimes worse.

I'm one that depakote (I think 480 mg twice a day) didn't help much.  At the end of the high cycle, it was not worse than usual but it was also not better.

Verapamil caused more headaches, at the end of cycle, one after another, until I stopped.

The beginning of cycles or low cycles, anything helps.  At the end of cycles or high cycles, nothing helps and somethings make it worse.

Weather doesn't seem to affect it.

Did I already say, sometimes anything thing by mouth makes it worse - food, vitatmins & supplements, medicine.

I am reading about Kudzu from materials Nani sent me.  It sounds promising.  I'm doing ok right now so I have some thinking room.

When I was young, I just thought I was crazy.  If nothing else, it's a relief to know it's clusters.

Thanks for asking.

Charlotte

p.s.  The new doc said I can e-mail him, so I did that after this post.  I want to give him a chance.

Also, if you can see by this post what I am doing wrong, please let me know.  Thx again.
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2006, 7:01pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
I Cant Dance
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

Kicking "Fat Bastard" to the curb!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 9:46pm »

Yes, my doc and I both keep track.  I have quite the file!
IP Logged

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met."
-Steve Prefontaine, "Without Limits"----Yeah Right! "I got yer pain right hiya."
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 1:04pm »

Well Charlotte puts my records to shame! LOL   Wink

I  keep a headache journel when in cycle and send it to my doc at the end so he can keep it in my HUGE file.  We go over meds together which really makes me feel positive about my contribution to hitting the beast back out of cycle for a while.  Unfortunately the list of "didn't help" is longer than the list of "helpful meds."

Mia
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 12th, 2006, 6:46pm »

Though not as thorough as Charlotte, I keep a headache journal from the start to the finish of a cycle - until I'm totally med-free.

Since my doc insists on seeing me every few weeks while in cycle, my little journal really helps him and me both.  This last time, it really helped with determining the best Verapamil dosage for me.  In addition, by comparing one journal to the previous one, I'm able to see how my cycles might be changing or "morphing."

My total withdrawal from Verpamil this last cycle (which took 5 months total) is a journal in itself.

I'm a true believer!

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Icey
New Board Newbie
Great_Britain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 4:46pm »

I don't keep logs on anything  Undecided Looking back over the years before I knew it was CH I just sufferd . I had cycles where I tried not to take OTC meds ( that's all I knew at the time ) I thought taking the meds was making this nightmare pain worse . So at the start of the cycle was hard knowing what was on the way  , the middle where the night beast visited me I would just .. well you know ! .. n the end I almost loved those shadows knowing it was on the way out . this used to last about 16 weeks ..When I got diagnosed I  think over the years Ive tried that many meds  , nothing really helps . It's my cycle and it's like just get on with it . Finding this site was my godsend ,knowing I wasn't the only one . I remember my neuro looking me in the eye and saying " Characteristic , you'll have this all your life "  I walked away thinkin i'd rather die . That was 17 years ago . We can fight it  Smiley So this is my reason for not logging things , for me personaly I know it's not  what I eat drink etc . It's part of me
IP Logged
Icey
New Board Newbie
Great_Britain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 4:50pm »

Kris .. I'm just starting the verapamil for the first time ... took you 5 months to get off them ? *gulps  that's promising  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Apr 13th, 2006, 8:22pm »

Used to keep track of everything many many moons ago.

Helped me to give up on meds and doctors. Realizing that neither did anything for my CH.

Over ten years since I have been to a doc or taken presribed meds of any kind for CH.

Then along came clusterbusters and RC seeds.
I kept a diary here got some wonderfull no nonsense input and found some relief.  
With the diary and input to analyze, I was able to adjust and correct my treatment as needed untill success was found.
Now allmost 4.5 weeks PF.

IP Logged

MJ
Icey
New Board Newbie
Great_Britain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 2:09pm »

So pleased for you MJ  Smiley ...  I was adviced not to try them , so yeah we're not all so fortunate . So pleased for ppl that it's working for tho  Smiley
IP Logged
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 4:33pm »

I used to record everything. I say "used to" because I got tired of showing my records to docs, only to have them tell me I must be having migraines, and I could possilby having clusters, even though my symptoms were classic, except for the long durations, my lack of drinking, smoking ect...  
I simply quit doing it. I have a very good memory, and I can tell the doc what I think they will accept, and leave it at that.  
Now I just accept that the monster and I are intimate beyond words and it will be here till I die...

Dragn

IP Logged

Icey
New Board Newbie
Great_Britain 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 1:59pm »

Yeah i'm the same  Roll Eyes
IP Logged
seccsij
New Board Newbie
Australia 

I will survive!

« Reply #11 on: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:45pm »

I hope and pray that those of you with good Drs get PFDANs.  As for me, I gave up on Drs about the same time they gave up on me and suspected me of being an addict. (Beacause I told them that Pethedine didn't help) ((It Didn't!))

I know what wont work for me and I keep searching for what will.  As with a lot of us CHers, what works this cycle probably wont work next time, but I'll try it first anyway and see what happens.

Recording CH is a great idea and has helped me get to know the beast better.

Good luck!    xJx
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:47pm by seccsij » IP Logged

CH cannot stop me from still being ME!!!!!!!!!Smiley)
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 11:09am »

I really believe in tracking this disorder - too little is known about it to leave things to memory.  Solid information from/for sufferers and their docs. is the only key we have and what better study group than ourselves.  

I am proposing a stardard tracking mechanism to be used by those willing to participate and stick with it.  Something easy to maintain and share.  I have a form that I use that could be modified to incorporate ideas from outhers.  Is anyone else interested in more formally tracking this nightmare and treatments?

Here are the links to the tracking documents in two formats.

.pdf          
http://www.freefilehoster.com/view_file.php?id=99&verify_view=163284 0468

.xls
http://www.freefilehoster.com/view_file.php?id=100&verify_view=19711 09503

If you're interested email me and we'll see what we can coordinate.  Let me know if you have questions or have trouble linking to the documents.

Best Wishes,

Tom  
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss