Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 9th, 2024, 3:55am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Questions about Kudzu »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Questions about Kudzu
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Questions about Kudzu  (Read 582 times)
kimmiedawn81
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stuck in the middle with you!

kimmiedawn8199   kimmiedawn21

Questions about Kudzu
« on: Apr 17th, 2006, 12:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok, I think I'm getting ready to go into cycle and I would like to ween myself off of my meds and try kudzu.  I'm on Verap and Inderal, both of which I'm scared to ween myself off of.  But it would save me money and probably make me feel better.

Anyway, I tried looking on the GNC website for kudzu, but couldn't find it.  How much is it?  How often do you have to take it?  Any answers would be appreciated.

Thank you!
IP Logged

Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

Re: Questions about Kudzu
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17th, 2006, 5:07pm »

Hey Kimmiedawn!  

GNC doesn't carry Kudzu: it's not a supplement, it's an herb.  Nature's Way and Solaray make Kudzu root pills; Planetary Herbals makes a pill called "Kudzu Recovery."

A survery indicated the best results were from Nature's Way Kudzu Root and Planetary Herbals Kudzu Recovery.

The Nature's Way Kudzu root is 613mg and is recommended it is taken 2 pills 3x day?  I'm not sure, but it's on the bottle.

Planetary Herbals  Kudzu Recovery is 750mg tablets: they recommend 2 tablets twice a day.

However, it's better to start with smaller doses and "work up."  Also, best results seem to be if you set up your dosage so that you at least take 2 tablets 2 hours before what would be your worst CH attack.

Hubby now takes Planetary Herbals Kudzu Recovery:

1 at 11:30am
1 at 4:00pm
2 at 8:30pm

I believe there is a potential problem with taking Kudzu and Verapamil at the same time.  I don't know what Inderal is or if it is counterindicated with Kudzu.

You can continue to use 02 and caffeine as preventatives.

Also, because the "seat" of the problem with Cluster Headaches is believed to be a problem with the biologic clock, supplementing the Kudzu with Melatonin (5mg to 12mg) (taken 20 min to 1/2 hour before bedtime), magnesium and calcium may also help (all of these are integral in normally functioning body clocks).  For some people, magnesium alone has broken the cycle.  

Magnesium is difficult for the body to metabolise, however Taurine, which has been shown to have lots of benefits, helps your body metabolise the magnesium.  If you can find a supplement that combines magnesium with "Taurate," you could do that.  Or you can take magnesium supplements along with Taurine supplements.

Taurine is an ingredient in Red Bull, and apparently it helps increase the effectiveness of the caffeine.  I found a thread here where taking Taurine at the start of shadows stopped them for one person.  In clinical studies of Taurine for  various things, the dosages seem to be in the 4g to 6g range (though the recommended dose on the bottle is 1g (which is 1000mg)).

Hubby is currently on the following regimine:

With breakfast: 1 250mg magnesium, 1 1000mg Taurine, and 1 600mg calcium;

11:30am 1 Kudzu Root Recovery;

4:00pm 1 Kudzu Root Recovery and 1000mg Taurine;
With Dinner:  1 250mg tablet of magnesium, 1 400mg tablet of TurmericForce by NewChapter (Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory), 1 600mg tablet of calcium and 1 1000mg Taurine;

8:30pm 2 Kudzu Recovery;

10:30 10mg Melatonin (2 5mg tablets)

If you want to read up on Kudzu and what's working for others, the thread at the top of this forum is all about people trying Kudzu "What's all this about Kudzuuuuuuu?"

And there's a Kudzu Survey for those who have taken it for at least a week.  You may want to PM or e-mail some of those who ranked it a "10" to see what dosages they used and when they took them.

Good Luck!

Laurie
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 17th, 2006, 5:16pm »

Kimmie...

Order it online....it's alot cheaper than buying it at the Health Foods Store.

I took Nature's Way....I ordered 8-10 bottles at a time, and got free shipping.

Google it and see which place has the best price.

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17th, 2006, 5:27pm »

I used to get the Planetary Formulas online at iherb.com Cheap and quick delivery. I was taking 6 a day eventually. I noticed a difference with ne a day. Watch your BP, KD. You're already on 2 BP lowering drugs, and kudzu can also have a BP lowering effect. I'd say not to start until you start tapering off one or both of the others. Keep us posted. hugs, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Dragnlance
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Monster bait

Dragnlance  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 9:25am »

Kimmie,

I use Solaray, because it is listed as 100% extract, not partial extract and partial ground kudzu root.  

I take it twice a day, at breakfast and at dinner.  For Me this works best.  

The best place to get it is a local health food store. Once you know what works for you, then locate that one off the net.  

Hope this helps!
IP Logged

Melissa

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 10:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If I were you, I'd read thoroughly through the first 2 threads on this section.  

Oh, and ditto to what Nani said.

good luck,
mel
IP Logged
kimmiedawn81
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Stuck in the middle with you!

kimmiedawn8199   kimmiedawn21

« Reply #6 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 10:04am »

How often would I take it?  My cycle is usually 6-8 weeks.  Would it put me back into remission?
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 10:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Apr 20th, 2006, 10:04am, kimmiedawn81 wrote:
How often would I take it?  My cycle is usually 6-8 weeks.  Would it put me back into remission?  

As I understand it, it wouldn't put you into remission ... it would supress the symptoms and let you ride out a cycle. Then when the cycle is over, you could stop.  Kudzu has to be in the blood when the hits would occur; for most people that means taking 3 or 4 doses per day, some use more at night.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss