Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 1:36am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « DHE / Steroid injections...any feedback? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   DHE / Steroid injections...any feedback?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: DHE / Steroid injections...any feedback?  (Read 500 times)
Jacqui
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

DHE / Steroid injections...any feedback?
« on: Apr 19th, 2006, 12:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My name is Jacqui. I am new to this site  - a little back ground, I've had CH since I was about 7-10yrs old. I am 33 yrs old now. Of course it wasn't diagnosed that early on and still Dr.’s will say different things along the way. A new cycle has just come on (it’s been 3 years) I never have the same Dr. We are a military family and move a lot. These new Dr.’s have there spin on things –  
1st trip to the ER last night. The Dr. gave me Compizine(nausea med) and a steroid (Prednisone) to the lead up of a DHE injection. I had a HORRIBLE anxiety reaction. I thought it was the nausea med, now I’m supposed to take the steroid again for a few days and the Pharmacist said it was most likely the steroid. I am in a panic to take it again – by the way, because of me reaction I never got to the DHE injection.    
The reason for the post… any insight of steroid reaction and what happens if I abruptly stop taking the steroid, and any feed back to DHE injections – has anyone had good effective results? Sorry for the run on- I’m in panic mode right now and nurse/Dr. not returning phone calls! Thanks for any insight and the ear!  
 Undecided
IP Logged
unsolved1

Email

Re: DHE / Steroid injections...any feedback?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 2:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've never heard of anyone having an anxiety attack becuase of Prednisone, but I guess anything is possible. I also don't think you have to worry about stopping them abruptly, you only recieved 1 shot, that's not much. It's the people who take it for weeks who cannot stop abruptly.

The DHE has been a godsend to me. It always brings me some relief. If you're still getting hit, I'd think again about going back for that shot!

Goodluck

UNsolved
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

Re: DHE / Steroid injections...any feedback?
« Reply #2 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 2:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I agree with Unsolved....both with the anxiety AND the stopping of the medication.  I'm currently on my taper down from Prednisone and am on 40 mgs per day for the next few days, then 20 mgs for a few days, etc.  Should be off by the beginning of next week.  Pred will usually stop the ch's dead in the tracks after the first 24 hours for me - but this last round was not as helpful  Angry

My experience w/ DHE was a 9-day stay in the hospital with a DHE IV drip.  It really messed with my mind for many of those days - but it actually stopped my cycle after the first dose.  I believe I had only one break-thru headache after I came home from the hospital.

Good luck to you - get the shot next time and see how it works - you'll never know if it will be helpful or not.  At least you have the comfort of knowing that something is there for you if needed.

Mia
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss