Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 2:06am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Got my meds, now what? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Got my meds, now what?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Got my meds, now what?  (Read 512 times)
AfraidOfTheDark
New Board Newbie
USA 

NOT so glad to be here. but I love ya anyway.

mandymarie96   mandymarie96

Got my meds, now what?
« on: Apr 18th, 2006, 2:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ok, can y'all deal with just a couple more questions??  Grin

I went to the doctor this morning, she was very kind and understanding. She gave me a script for Verapamil 80mg (3x a day), and gave me a couple samples of oral Imitrex 100mg. She also said she would give me more Imitrex samples if I needed them. Hubby filled my script and I also got him to pick up a bottle of Melatonin.  

Is the Melatonin an actual sleep aid, or can I still take my Tylenol PM with it? (been taking the PM to ensure at least some sleep). Is it safe to take the Verapamil, Imitrex, and Melatonin together (in a 24hr period). The Tylenol PM?

I'm not used to taking so much drugs at once, wanna make sure I don't OD, lol. Anything else I should know?
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Re: Got my meds, now what?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 2:51pm »

Put them away and get some oxygen.                                        Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 3:17pm »

Yes, it is safe.  I use Verapamil on a higher dosage , with the Imigtrex injections and Melatonin.

The Verapamil is your preventative.  The Imitrex is your abortive and the Melatonin, 6 to 9mg, half an hour before bedtime will help you sleep.  Melatonin is not a sleeping tablet, it does not work like that, it will just improve you REM sleep so that you will not wake in the middle of REM with a hit.

Verapamil takes about 7 to 14 days to kick in and reach the desired levels in your bloodstream, to prevent major hits.  Imitrex tablets do not work as fast as the injections and you can only take the prescribed amount in 24 hours.  Melatonin may increase your hits the first few nights (a few of us had this experience) but keep on using them as they real start to work when your serotonin levels begin to correct themselves.  

Good luck and I hope someone will advise you on the taking of Tylenol with the Melatonin although I don't think it will be a problem as I use Normison(a sleeping tablet) and the Melatonin together without any side effects.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 3:56pm »

melatonin may prevent you night time attacks from coming at all.

imitrex pills will be useless during your wake up calls and may take too long during the daytime attacks.

Injections are key or snorts.
Somig zmt (rapid melt pills) are pretty quick too.

GET OXYGEN!!!!

Zyprexa is a fast acting non triptan med that works fast as well.

Good luck!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
chewy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 4:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Is it safe to take the Verapamil, Imitrex, and Melatonin together (in a 24hr period).

Yes. You may find you need to up your dosage of verapamil.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 6:40pm »

When I used the trex tablets, I had the 50mg pills. You may be able to cut your 100mg in 1/2 and double the amount you have, but E-dub is right, it takes WAY too long to work. After 30 minutes you won't know if the pill got rid of it, or if it just ended.
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 7:31pm »

I would lose the tylenol and let the other stuff work.

Tylenol (acetaminophen) has a tendency to intensify the pain for me.

good luck.
IP Logged

MJ
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 8:46pm »

on Apr 18th, 2006, 2:37pm, AfraidOfTheDark wrote:
Is the Melatonin an actual sleep aid, or can I still take my Tylenol PM with it? (been taking the PM to ensure at least some sleep). Is it safe to take the Verapamil, Imitrex, and Melatonin together (in a 24hr period).

I agree with the above posts.  Lose the Tylenol.  If it works at all it could lead to rebound headaches after a while. The Melatonin may take several days to be effective, so stick with it.  Also, some folks supplement the Melatonin with Benedryl to aid with sleep if the Mel alone is not working for you.  

Oh did did I mention, GET OXYGEN!  If it works for you, it's like a miracle how quickly it will abort an attack and save you in many cases from having to use the Imitrex or other abortive.    

IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 18th, 2006, 10:22pm »

You might also consider keeping a headache diary.

It really comes in handy when/if you have to change meds for some reason.   It's also a great tool for your doc, he/she can see what worked/failed to work.

In my diary, I have listed the time of a CH, how long it lasted, what I took, and a Kip scale # of how bad it was.

When I go to see my doc, I always print it out and take it with me.  

Good luck with your meds....I sure hope things get much better.

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 9:51am »

3Afraid,

Sounds like you've got some great advice and I won't repeat what Richr8 said....but it surely will help.  I'm one of the fortunate one's who responds well to the Imitrex pills - 100 mgs.  I can take it at the onset of a ch and get relief w/in 15 mins   Grin  and that's with or without O2 (better w/ the O2 of course).  I try to use the pills during the day and the injections at night which work even faster.

All of us at some point were not used to taking this much medication....but most of us are on the Medication Wagon - so jump on and join us crazy people  LOL

Mia
IP Logged
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 19th, 2006, 11:51am »

I would get rid of the tylenol as well.  Just use 6-9 mg of melatonin (I use 9) and your verap.  Use the imitrex as needed.

You should really get O2 with a NON-REBREATHER mask.  I am sure noone has suggested that to you.  Wink

For sleeping, I think it is ambien that I used a few times but now that I am on melatonin, I don't need anything else.  However, do heed the warning that the first couple nights on melatonin may be WORSE than before but then it gets better, for me MUCH BETTER.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss