Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 7:01am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Taurine Trial »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Taurine Trial
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Taurine Trial  (Read 10497 times)
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

Re: Taurine Trial Week 5 Update
« Reply #25 on: May 29th, 2006, 1:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just updated my BLOG for week 5 and things are still going well.

Going bush for a few days so wont be around till the weekend.
Kind Regards
Barry

http://au.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-oT2JJXMzerQyQBygCRv3YiMCJuzW
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #26 on: May 29th, 2006, 3:45am »

Thanks for the update Barry, enjoy your trip.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Thorns
New Board Junior
USA 

"Ahhhh....that feels good!"

Email

« Reply #27 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 7:15pm »

I knew I would hear about Taurine again someday! I interviewed with a professor at the University of Florida for a graduate position with him in their Pharmacodynamics Program (changed my mind and went elsewhere for Microbiology) and he preached on and on about Taurine and how it was "The Fountain of Youth" and "cure all" for many neurological disorders.

There is actually a lot of research on the subject but I'll be brief because I'm not sure if people here have posted much on it yet:

Quote:
ABSTRACT: Taurine is a conditionally-essential amino acid which is not utilized in protein synthesis, but rather is found free or in simple peptides. Taurine has been shown to be essential in certain aspects of mammalian development, and in vitro studies in various species have demonstrated that low levels of taurine are associated with various pathological lesions, including cardiomyopathy, retinal degeneration, and growth retardation, especially if deficiency occurs during development. Metabolic actions of taurine include: bile acid conjugation, detoxification, membrane stabilization, osmoregulation, and modulation of cellular calcium levels. Clinically, taurine has been used with varying degrees of success in the treatment of a wide variety of conditions, including: cardiovascular diseases, hypercholesterolemia, epilepsy and other seizure disorders, macular degeneration, Alzheimer's disease, hepatic disorders, alcoholism, and cystic fibrosis. Altern-Med-Rev. 1998 Apr; 3(2): 128-36

We all know that many epileptic drugs (e.g. Neurontin as well as some others) have been successful for many CH sufferers.

And just a reference to another:

Quote:
Maurizi CP. Could supplementary dietary tryptophan and taurine prevent epileptic seizures? Med Hypotheses 1985; 18:411-415.

I thought this one was interesting because the amino acid tryptophan is the precursor in the synthesis of serotinin and melatonin in the pineal gland. I know a lot of CH sufferers and myself use melatonin, which at one time had the name to fame as "The Fountain of Youth."

Although our bodies make serotinin and melatonin, taurine or L-Taurine to be more scientific is an "essential" amino acid that comes from our diet and now supplements!

I wish had listened a little closer to that professor a few years back. I believe he said that he was actually receiving a grant or some sort of funding from Red Bull at the time???

Chris

IP Logged
nikozai
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pain... ow.. pain..

« Reply #28 on: Jun 17th, 2006, 7:21am »

Well it has been 30 days on Taurine and Kudzu without any other meds. 1000mg Taurine / 516mg Kudzu at 9am and 9pm

I get hit once a week very lightly and usually enjoy a redbull to help eleviate the symptoms. I find that doing something to really relax helps a ton.

However, more annoyingly there is one day a week, for 3 weeks now, where i get a headache in the front of my brain that causes a high fever and disables me for most of the day. It only goes away once i sleep. Very annoying, almost worse than the cluster because it takes so much more time out of my day. Sometimes spikes pain behind my eye like a cluster but not quite as bad...

All in all, if i had come off prednizone 4 weeks ago without it, i would have been hit once a night and for an hour every morning. To see if that holds true now, as of today and I'm going to try stopping treatment for 5 days. =)
Wish me luck, maybe i'm in remission.
IP Logged

Peter - 3 months since first attack, ongoing cycle. Pred. under 20mg sets it off. Starting Kudzu, Taurine and Melatonin while coming off pred. Praying it works.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: Jun 17th, 2006, 9:32pm »

Hi nikozau
Good to hear some feed back with how it’s going for you and it will be interesting for all to get some comparisons.
It looks like you are getting results similar to me but with some variations which I guess we should expect knowing the nature of the beast is to not treat everyone the same and I cant get Kudzu.
The other supplement I take is magnesium 500mg; I was taking only one a day but started 3 a day four days ago after reading a bit more about it.

Interesting to see that; ‘(Quote,) doing something to really relax helps a ton.(Unquote)” I have found that I have better days if I have been able to do more physical work, not strenuous but steady work !once again the nature of the beast!.

Another similarity is about your headache in the front of your brain that only goes away when you sleep; I’m not getting that length of headache because if it wont go away I hit the o2 and it clears it up but I am able to sleep and sleep well which is a real pleasure after so many months of being in limbo with sleep patterns.

I haven’t been able to put my entire log of what has been happening in the BLOG as it just won’t fit but these are the noticeable and consistent happenings:

I have to take the Taurine when its due or I will start heavy shadowing within the hour.

The hits I am getting are around 3 to 4 days apart, the best period was 10 days but they last only a very short time and without an abortive and when I have to use the o2 they clear within 5 minutes.

The most noticeable thing is that I have got my memory back after so many months of frustration, I can now go to the shed to get something and actually remember what I went there for, instead of standing there wondering what the hell I was doing there.

What I don’t know yet is when I am going to go into another cycle as I only went chronic after my last cycle in Dec 04; prior to that I was episodic every 5 years, only time will tell I guess.

Oh and it’s good to be able to have a drink again. Grin
I’ve been away working out bush so I haven’t been able to update the BLOG for a while but will do that shortly.

Hoping it does work as well for you as it has for me.
Keep us updated.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #30 on: Jun 18th, 2006, 9:32am »

Barry, thanks again for keeping us posted about your progress with taurine.  Your information can be valuable, not only for CH, but also for sleep issues.  Although my headache cycle is over for now, I may try taurine to help stabilize my sleep patterns.
Regards, Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #31 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 4:17am »

Thanks Barry this Taurine trial and result so far brings much hope to me out here.

The last cycle was my longest cycle ever, more than 15 months. After the cycle, the shadows never went away until I started reading your progress with Taurine.

Energy drinks containing this is what I used during cycle but never out of cycle as I do not like any fizzy drinks.  As soon as I started with a Taurine regimen, I am shadow free.  It must be said that whenever I forget to take some, I am back with a shadow.

Thanks again. Smiley
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #32 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 4:28am »

Barry maybe you can get this one in Australia, it also contains Magnesium, I found this on the body builders side in a pharmacy:

USN's CREATINE X 4

What it contains:

Packaging  
 Pack size:   120  
 Content type:   Caplets  

Supplement Facts:  
 Serving Size:   4 Caplets  
 Amount per serving   per 4 caplets  
 Creatine Ethyl Ester HCL   3000mg  
 Glycine   1000mg  
 Taurine   600mg  
 Magnesium Chelate   300mg  
 Beta Alanine   200mg  
 CalPharm Tech Dynamic Release Formula   880mg  

IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

Re: Taurine Trial Week 9 Update
« Reply #33 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:37am »

Hi Jasmin
Thanks for the feedback on how it’s working for you.
Without someone else giving it a try and being able to compare some reactions I was a little uncertain as to whether I was getting some reprieve naturally or it was the Taurine doing the job.
With yourself & nikozau running with it as well we should be able to get some certainties or at least some comparable commonalities.

It’s no miracle drug but at least it seems to be putting some normality back into life.

After reading in your post about the length your last cycle I’m wondering now if maybe I’m still in cycle and not gone chronic; my first cycle was 10 – 12 weeks long and the second 5 years later was around 12 weeks with the big hits but continued on virtually unabated, I guess only time will tell.

Once again thanks for the feedback and on the strength of that I may just go and have Stout.

Kind regards
Barry
IP Logged

[img]
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

Re: Taurine Trial
« Reply #34 on: Jul 31st, 2006, 4:59pm »

Just some feedback.

I'm still out of cycle and have been sleeping even less than normal, (I call this one convention fever Wink.  As you know I've made these extremely long flights from Africa to the USA and back.

I upped my dosage of Taurine to 2400mg per day just before my flights and no hits at high altitude.  The days when I forgot to drink it,(days ran into nights and then into days again with the convention Grin), so yes I forgot... the shadows reminded me of my lack of discipline.

When I got home, very jet lagged but pumped with adrenaline, I just totally forgot to carry on taking any.  So... started with the twinges and very bad shadows yesterday.  I am the first day today back on the Taurine and will keep you informed as to its influence on aborting these shadows.

How was the Stout Barry?  Hope you survived one. Cheesy
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #35 on: Aug 1st, 2006, 7:51pm »

Interesting...
I've recently been drinking this stuff for energy in the morning.
http://www.agrolabs.com/acai/home.html
I'm just ramping up in my cycle right now and not having hits regularly yet, so I can't really correlate any effects yet, but I'll start paying attention.

This stuff tastes TERRIBLE, kinda like prune juice but worse... But it wakes you up in a hurry!
IP Logged

Chris
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #36 on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 4:57pm »

Oh, I forgot to mention it has 500mg of taurine per oz...
IP Logged

Chris
erickthered
New Board Newbie
USA 

erick_the_red71  
Email

« Reply #37 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 4:36am »

Man I wish I would have read all of this the last time I cycled with the beast, then maybe it would be better this time. But after reading up on the Taurine/RedBull earler this afternoon, I thought I would give it a try at work tonight. I have been living with a constant shadow sense this cycle started 2 weeks ago, and was willing to try any thing, the conv. store I went to before work didn't have any RedBull so I picked up a "Powerade Advance" to try, and wow the shadow went away (924mg per 16oz bottle, according to their web site  http://us.powerade.com/advance/) it worked for 5 hours, then the shadow came back, so I drank the other one I bought and like magic the shadow went away again. Now tommorrow I am going out to look for the taurine pills to take instead of spending the money on "power" drinks.
IP Logged
cjc68
New Board Newbie
USA 

The beast always looses in the end!

christopherjc68  

« Reply #38 on: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:19pm »

I also had great results with taurine during my last cycle about a year ago, I think I was taking between 2000 to 4000 mg per day, also taking 9mg of melitonin, magnesium and lots of the B vitamins plus a few other things......

just a qiuck shout out to Nani....Long time no see! Hope your doing good

PFDAN to ALL!
Chris
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #39 on: Aug 8th, 2006, 7:51am »

I've been following this thread with interest. I've decided that if Red Bull and caffeine tablets quick working for me, taurine is the next thing on my list.

I'm not the only Finnish clusterhead who is interesting in trying taurine... Barry, your taurine blog has made it to the Finnish ch discussion "board". Smiley

After making some research I found out that there's one product, Taurine Strong, available at a local department store (when it's not out like it currently is). And I can order 2 different brands from a Finnish online store. Yahoo! Smiley

Sanna

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2006, 5:45am by sandie99 » IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #40 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 5:03am »

Thanks for the info Sandie I hope it works as well for others as it has for me.
“ Made it to the Finnish ch discussion board “, does that make me famous. Grin

If I remember correctly you where th one who first noted the benifits of Red Bull & thats where I got the idea of the Taurine trial from.

I’ve been away for a break for the week and only checked back in today and boy is it good to be home.
I just updated my blog, had a few days that knocked me around but looking better now.

Kind Regards
Barry
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2006, 5:07am by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

[img]
prcole18
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Thank god for Imigran Injections!

« Reply #41 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 7:28am »

Hi, I may be wrong but drinking Redbull throughout the day may be helping me as a preventive. If so its probably the taurine thats doing it.

Redbull dosent do much as an abortive for me but yesterday drank it throughout the day & didnt get hit.

So, im off to Holland & Barrett to get some Taurine tabs, will keep you all informed.

Fingers crossed!
IP Logged
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #42 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 7:46am »

Hello Barry

Its Annette here from Sydney and my DH Daniel who is a CH . This is week 3 into his first diagnosed cycle. He has started on Melatonin and is getting some good result so we will start Taurine and Kudzu next. Thanks for the great thread, Barry.

I now know that we cant get Kudzu in Australia so I started a thread asking for help and Helen has so kindly offered to order some then post them here for us.

Please let me know if you are interested so that we can combine orders and save Helens time and effort.

Best wishes to you and hope you will enjoy lasting PF days and nights.

Take care

Annette
IP Logged
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #43 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 8:23am »

Hi. Barry Reading this thread with interest. I have added 1500 mg of Taurine to my arsenal and I am busting. So far so good but I am not in cycle. I am waiting for expected cycle in sept -nov to see if my new regimen retards the cycle or makes it more passable.  
What do you think of 500 mg three times a day for starters?
IP Logged
F1World
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #44 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 12:41pm »

Hi.

Haven't been here for awhile, so by accident, I stumbled upon this Red Bull thing.  My wife works at a gym, so lately, she's been getting excess RB that they are not selling, and bringing it home.  I have about 3 cases of it under the kitchen sink .. but I digress.  

Anyways, I ususally drink RB all the time, but after drinking it for the last 6 years, I sort of got bored of it.  My cycle started about 3 weeks ago, yay, and while going through shadows, I needed something to drink.  What the hell, few cases of RB, down a couple cans in 5 mins and if I didn't start to feel better within no time at all?!

So I decided to check back here, as I always do when I get into a cycle to see about new cures and/or wonderdrugs, and low and behold, there is all these articles about RB and Taurine.  Nice.

I am eager and curious to try this Taurine thing, as I am currently taking Zomig rapidmelts and nosespray.  At roughly 20 bucks a pill/shot X2 a day, it's becoming costly.

My question:  Do you need a prescription for the dose of Taurine you guys are suggesting, or is this something I can just pick up at the local GNC or Health store?

TIA

Jeff.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #45 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 1:00pm »

Hello again!
Its nice to see you (providing you're not a closet schuey fan in which case you can just bugger right off!  Tongue  Wink )
Only joking, I do remember you posting before though.

I don't know if you can buy taurine here, I'd suggest Holland and Barrett or their ilk. Paul (prcole)was going out today to try and get some so Im sure he'll post later.

What I do know is you can buy it online from www.vitacost.com I've used them to buy kudzu and melatonin in the past so I can recommend them from personal experience.

Let us know how you get on okay?
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

F1World
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #46 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 1:47pm »

LoL Helen

Yeah, it is the same Schumacher guy, but I've never been a closet fan!  Very proud Schumacher supporter, and have been since I first saw that race way back in '91 with a much younger man taking the place of an experienced driver named Bertrand Gachot ... sprayed a London cabbie with CS gas, and was arrested and jailed .. yikes.  So proud am I, that I have the MS logo tatooed to my left bicept .. heh.

Well, thank you for that then ... I was unsure as to which avenue to persue to get more information as to where to obtain this stuff.  I, like most others, am simply tired of the suffering and would like any kind of resolve to this constant misery.  Have not been able to go to work in the last 4 days because mr. beast is taking on a sporatic pattern again.  I prefer, lol yeah right, when it hits in the late evening as opposed to various times throughout the day.  The evening one rips to a kip 9, but I know the onset symptoms of a major, so I dose up.  The daytime ones happen whenever, though not as intense, but it's the frequency that bothers me.

Being a new father, my son is almost two, and another little one due in October, it pains me to have my son witness these attacks as he just does not know what is wrong, and he is crying along beside me ... poor lad.  Not only that, but it diminishes my capacity  to be the loving, caring, always there for my boy, father that he and I are so used to.   I'm just a useless pile of goo for the 2 hours of the attack ... plus so wiped out after that .... I'm sure it's the meds that give me that wayyyy too zoned out feeling ... eesh.

Anyhoot, cool that you remembered me!  I'll try to frequent a little more while I am going through pergatory for ... oh, I guess the next two months!

PFDAN people Kiss

Sorry if I hijacked this post Smiley
IP Logged
prcole18
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #47 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 3:21pm »

Just to let you know you can buy tourine in the UK. I bought some earlier from Holland & Barrett. 500mg ones.

My only prob is im on Verapamil as well which I know people say both may not be good.

I took a Taurine tab earlier & an hour later got hit with a kip 6-7.  Undecided maybe  a coincidence.

I also rang the doctor today on their opinion while taking both & she didn't seem to clued on what was in the Taurine tabs, (I said basically Taurine) & advised me against taking both.

Not too sure what to do now, but what I do know is i'll try almost anything to try & keep these headaches at bay.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #48 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 7:35am »

on Aug 16th, 2006, 3:21pm, prcole18 wrote:
Just to let you know you can buy tourine in the UK. I bought some earlier from Holland & Barrett. 500mg ones.

I just checked their website. Did those Taurine tabs cost only £4.99? Cheesy
That alone would be a reason to visit UK soon... Grin

Wishing you PF time,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

prcole18
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #49 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 10:02am »

on Aug 17th, 2006, 7:35am, sandie99 wrote:

I just checked their website. Did those Taurine tabs cost only £4.99? Cheesy
That alone would be a reason to visit UK soon... Grin

Wishing you PF time,
Sanna

Hi sandie99
yep they were £4.99 for 50X500mg tabs. If you want any let me know & I could maybe send you some out.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss