Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 6:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A new med possibility? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   A new med possibility?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A new med possibility?  (Read 663 times)
johnnypatrick
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

johnnypatrick2   johnnyhix
Email

A new med possibility?
« on: May 16th, 2007, 6:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I mention this only in passing. I've been reading about a new high kids are getting. They are taking 5 or more times the dosage of dextramathoriphane a cough medicine. They say it acts like a hallucinagin. Well of course the problem is that DM is mixed in with other meds like Tylenol. Don't want to go taking ten times the amount of that! Could have liver failure. The doctors say this interferes with electrical discharges in the brain so it could frustrate an attack. If I get an attack I may get desperate and start experimenting. Huh
IP Logged

Old Italian Proverb
Amici e vini sono meglio vecchi
friends and wine are best when they've aged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: A new med possibility?
« Reply #1 on: May 16th, 2007, 7:00pm »

Please don't try that.  
If you are interested in a "new" med possibility look at kudzu, and Red Bull threads here on the meds board.
Or:
look at www.clusterbusters.com  
Lots of others have been testing these treatments and they all are promising.  
pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
johnnypatrick
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

johnnypatrick2   johnnyhix
Email

« Reply #2 on: May 16th, 2007, 8:13pm »

Well I am sceptical that Kudzu could affect something so significant as a cluster headache. I'm on 1500 mg of Depa Koat daily and that barely stoppes them.
Also what is with Red Bull? All it has in it is sugar and caffiene. I can't have sugar and caffiene, well , 3 or 4 cups of coffee should do the trick of one Red Bull
IP Logged

Old Italian Proverb
Amici e vini sono meglio vecchi
friends and wine are best when they've aged
ClusterChris
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Damn Head!

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 16th, 2007, 8:21pm »

taurine is the other ingrediant that redbull has that apperently helps!!  I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I would agree with your thinking. I will try anything once.  Not too much money involved in looking for a cure for ch's so I feel we need to try different things ourselves.  Not that I'm endorsing it, Just telling how I feel.  Bottom line is, If it wasn't for people here posting their results, we wouldn't know half the shit that works.    

Best of luck and if you do happen to try it please drop me a message!

Chris
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 16th, 2007, 11:58pm »

Bro, please be serious.

Dont take 5X the dose of something without your docs approval.  

Experimenting is one thing, experimenting with 500% of a dose is pretty stupid.  

no offense
B$
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 17th, 2007, 7:41am »

on May 16th, 2007, 8:13pm, johnnypatrick wrote:
Well I am sceptical that Kudzu could affect something so significant as a cluster headache. I'm on 1500 mg of Depa Koat daily and that barely stoppes them.
Also what is with Red Bull? All it has in it is sugar and caffiene. I can't have sugar and caffiene, well , 3 or 4 cups of coffee should do the trick of one Red Bull

Johnny,

Please open your mind a bit here.  Kudzu, is a preparation that acts very much in the same method as verapamil.  Many people have found it helpful to ease the frequency/duration/severity of attacks.

Red Bull acts as an early abortive.  Caffine is a vascoconstrictor, taurine helps to magnify the effect of the caffine, and if slammed at the first sign of an attack can can abort an attack for many of us.

Clusterbusters.com ...read..the effects of these alcoloids is due to the molecular similarities to other known meds we use to treat CH.  Namely the triptan family of meds.

Do some research here and at the buster's site before you go off drinking cough medicine.  Kids have died useing that.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #6 on: May 17th, 2007, 9:09am »

Johnny,

Dude, are you serious? Even just in passing, taking news about some over the counter cough syrup abuse by kids and turning it into a potential alternative for clusters?  I'm thinking maybe you should read more and understand there are a lot of tools in the belt out there for cluster, both conventional pharmaceuticals and alternatives -- before you spend much more time researching alternatives like cough syrup abuse. Geez.

As for Kudzu as a preventative -- it worked for me for a couple of cycles. As for other things -- if you don't have oxygen - get it, it is better and more effective at taking down a CH hit than anything you can ingest (except Imitrex injections).

Scott

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss