Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 7:55pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « O2 Rebounding??? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   O2 Rebounding???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: O2 Rebounding???  (Read 774 times)
tpitts77
New Board Junior
USA 

Solutions are not the answers!!

Email

O2 Rebounding???
« on: May 10th, 2006, 8:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The past two of days I had a about 15 clusters.  I aborted most of them with Oxygen and 3 of them with Imitrex injections.

Does anyone know if Oxygen can cause rebound headaches??
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: O2 Rebounding???
« Reply #1 on: May 10th, 2006, 8:44am »

on May 10th, 2006, 8:18am, tpitts77 wrote:

Does anyone know if Oxygen can cause rebound headaches??

I haven't found this to be the case.  For me, it's more about not getting to the O2 quickly enough, and although I will get relief for a few minutes, the headache isn't knocked out completely and comes back. A few of my really bad ones just don't respond to O2.  I consider a rebound to be more of a new headache caused by a treatment after some pain-free time has passed.  
Pat
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: May 10th, 2006, 8:57am »

I have never had rebounds from either oxygen or trex.

IP Logged
tpitts77
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 10th, 2006, 9:31am »

I think I may have had some rebound when I was over using Trex.  So I try not to over use anymore.  It's hard because it works so good for me and the O2 doesn't work as quick.
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #4 on: May 10th, 2006, 9:37am »

on May 10th, 2006, 9:31am, tpitts77 wrote:
the O2 doesn't work as quick.

Do you have a high enough LMP, and do you have a  
clustermasx?
It can make all the difference.
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
tpitts77
New Board Junior
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 10th, 2006, 10:31am »

O2 - 5- 10 mins. 10 lpm
Trex < 5 mins.

I think I might buy one of those clustermasx.  Do they just get a better seal or what?
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 10th, 2006, 10:32am »

I don't get rebounds from oxygen but if I use only oxygen the headache almost always comes back about 20 minutes later. I get the best results by taking one cafergot tablet and starting the oxygen at the first sign of a headache. Usually aborts within 10 minutes and I'm generally safe for 12 hours or so. Good luck and I hope you find relief.  

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #7 on: May 10th, 2006, 11:40am »

on May 10th, 2006, 10:31am, tpitts77 wrote:
O2 - 5- 10 mins. 10 lpm
Trex < 5 mins.

I think I might buy one of those clustermasx.  Do they just get a better seal or what?

They get a much better seal, and the reservoir bag is much larger--you will use a lot less O2 to do the same job, or better.
IP Logged

mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #8 on: May 10th, 2006, 12:46pm »

O2 has not worked for me because when I use it the headaches stops after a few moments but returns soon after I remove the O2.  Hope fully you are just hiting a hard phase and the O2 is still working
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 10th, 2006, 12:50pm »

"Recurrence" would be a more accurate term, meaning that the headache redevelops quickly after stopping the oxygen (vs. "rebound" which refers to a headache caused by the overuse of a med).  

But,yes, recurrence has been reported both here and in the medical literature. I've not seen any stats on the frequency of this experience, however.  
---------
Neurol Sci. 2004 Oct;25 Suppl 3:S119-22.    

Cluster headache: symptomatic treatment.

Torelli P, Manzoni GC.

Headache Centre, Section of Neurology, Department of Neuroscience, University of Parma, Via Gramsci 14, I-43100 Parma, Italy. paolatorelli@libero.it

The clinical management of cluster headache (CH) attacks requires a symptomatic treatment that is rapidly effective in resolving or significantly reducing symptoms. First-choice drugs for the symptomatic treatment of CH are subcutaneous sumatriptan at a dose of 6 mg and 100% oxygen inhalation at a rate of 7 l/min for no more than 15 min. Sumatriptan acts by suppressing pain and the accompanying autonomic phenomena, with no substantial differences in its mechanism of action between episodic and chronic CH. The drug can be used for prolonged periods without loss of efficacy or safety and its side-effects are generally mild or moderate. Oxygen inhalation has a number of advantages over drug therapy: it is free from side-effects, has no contraindications--unlike sumatriptan, it can be used in patients with cardiac, cerebral or peripheral vascular disease and with kidney, liver or lung disease--acts rapidly and can be administered several times a day. Its disadvantages are that it is scarcely practical and may induce a "rebound effect". Sumatriptan nasal spray, zolmitriptan and dihydroergotamine nasal spray are scarcely effective. After the introduction of sumatriptan, ergotamine tartrate has been relegated to a secondary role in the symptomatic treatment of CH. Among other non-drug and topical drug treatment options, hyperbaric oxygen therapy and the intranasal application of 10% cocaine hydrochloride and 10% lidocaine in the sphenopalatine fossa have also proved effective.

PMID: 15549518  
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2006, 1:08pm by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Dave
New Board Junior

« Reply #10 on: May 21st, 2006, 8:00pm »

Here's a suggestion:  

Have you been prescribed an oral triptan like Zomig? If so, try O2, and at the same time, take the oral triptan.

The O2 works quickly, but the headache can sometimes recur in as little as 20 minutes.

Oral Zomig takes 20 minutes to start working, but has a more sustanined effect.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: May 22nd, 2006, 5:49am »

I used to get what I thought of as Oxygen rebounds.. but it was me stopping using it too soon, since trying this method I've never had a hit "come back"
I breath o2 at 15LPM until I feel the hit is over and then I carry on on the o2 at 12 LPm for a couple of minutes, reducing down another couple of litres every minute or so and holding the mask a little less tight to my face so I'm gradually mixing air with my o2. This way it isn't a huge shock to my system going from pure o2 to common or garden air again!
I generally  follow this method for the same length of time it took me to abort, so if it takes me ten minutes to abort (not that it ever does thanks to my clustermasx!) then I'll reduce o2 over a further 10 minutes.
It has never failed me.. I hope it helps you!
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 22nd, 2006, 1:06pm »

If mine recur, I will follow O2 treatment with Relpax (Eliptran) which will guarantee many pf hours afterward.
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #13 on: May 25th, 2006, 3:21am »

All I use for my CH is 02.   I haven't taken a triptan since January, 2005.

I agree with Bob about the recurrence.    

I do the 02 alot like Helen does...I get on it at 12 or 15 lpm.   Usually just takes about 5 minutes ...then I turn my regulator down to about 6...then after a couple minutes I turn it down to the 3.5 mark.  I leave it there...and I breathe normally for about 5 minutes.  For me, that has kept the recurrence from happening.

I've never taken the Trex....but alot of folks do get rebounds from it.   If you think it's the Trex causing the rebound, maybe check with your Doc...get something else.   CH is bad enough without treating it with meds that rebound.  

Lots of luck to you...

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #14 on: May 25th, 2006, 5:46pm »

on May 10th, 2006, 10:31am, tpitts77 wrote:
O2 - 5- 10 mins. 10 lpm
Trex < 5 mins.

Up your lpm to 12-15.  I had more hits when I was doing 8-10 years back, that's why I gave up on O2 at the time, have used it with good success the last 2 years at 15 lpm
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss