Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 12:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « the large list of preventatives »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   the large list of preventatives
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: the large list of preventatives  (Read 853 times)
mrnice

Email

the large list of preventatives
« on: May 14th, 2006, 7:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

i imagine that when I get to my neurologist she is going to present me with the same overwhelming list of drugs available for treating clusters.. many overlapping with the list i've already seen which was to treat migraines...
I hate the meds doctors give and the side effects they have and even worse how shitty you feel when you decide you need to get the hell off of them,
if you all could choose one preventative to try first which would you go with and why?
IP Logged
chewy

Email

Re: the large list of preventatives
« Reply #1 on: May 14th, 2006, 8:45pm »

Verapamil because it works.
IP Logged
Dave
New Board Junior

« Reply #2 on: May 14th, 2006, 9:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Verapamil is usually the first line of defense.  

It seems to be regarded as the most effective and has few side effects at the typical dosage.

IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: May 21st, 2006, 5:26pm »

Melatonin - seems to work for me when I start it immediately on going into a cycle and before the headaches start.  A small dose (1.5 - 3 mg) at the same time every night, only side effects are a little groggyness in the morning, but my other makes me get out of bed and into the shower.
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 21st, 2006, 8:31pm »

Melatonin works for me too. Also, I watch what I eat/drink as I've found many triggers in my diet.

From all I've read in the year I've been coming here, I believe (my belief only, not necessarily factual) that verapimil will extend a cycle, and is hard to stop taking it.
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2006, 12:52pm »

Everybody who knows me will probably drop their jaw when they read what I write here, but I would have to say a combination of verapamil and a prednisone taper would be my first choice!

The pred taper will beat the beast back long enough for the verap to start working if you work with your doctor on a quick enough ramp up schedule.

However, pred isn't for everyone and I'll be the first to admit that it's caused me long term damage.  But I also am chronic and took taper after taper...every 6 weeks or so.  Used properly only at start of cycle while giving a true prevent a chance to work, pred can be our best friend.   Grin

Best of luck, either way!

Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 23rd, 2006, 11:15pm »

I'm convinced that Verap is what made me go chronic. I'd still probably try it first, combined with a prednisone taper, as it is supposively most effective for most people, but watch it. If you get weird (non cluster) headaches within 20 minutes of taking it, stop immediately. Journal your symptoms religiously. If you don't see some results within 3 weeks, stop taking it. DO NOT make the same mistake that I did and let your doctor talk you into staying on it and increasing the dose for several months when it is clear it's not helping and has bad side effects (headaches, exhaustion). INSIST your doctor honor that you understand your symptoms better than they do. If they argue, find a different doctor immediately. When it comes to CH, no one will know better than your own instincts, not even doctors.

Good luck!

(edited for typos)
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2006, 11:16pm by Katherinecm » IP Logged

http://www.squidoo.com/clusterheadaches/

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience." Teilhard de Chardin

"It is not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of pain or death." Epictetus
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 24th, 2006, 9:49am »

My choice would be the pred taper for the first few weeks (not the Medrol that only lasts 3 or 4 days).  After that I'm going with O2 and cafergot for abortives with no preventatives to see if the verap is what made my cycle last 5 months last time.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Jimi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Who loves ya baby!

Hendrix1473  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: May 24th, 2006, 10:06am »

I think that it is just our age Bob. My last 2 cycles were 5 mos and 6 mos. As opposed to 2-3 mos as before. The good news is that instead of yearly during those long cycles, I went 3 years in between and my last cycle (the 6 mos one) was 5 years ago. Have I finally "outgrowed it"? I don't know. BTW, my last two cycles, I used no preventatives and only used 02 and cafergot. Go figure. See you in a couple of months.
IP Logged

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: May 24th, 2006, 4:25pm »

Quote:
See you in a couple of months.

Sorry plans changed.  My daughter announced her engagement a few weeks back.  Now have to figure out how to finance a $30k wedding in October.  Cancelled my hotel reservation last week.  Was looking forward to seeing everyone and visiting my city of birth (not to mention the Harley factory).

You are right about the remissions.  Mine get longer each time.  Last one was 3 years 3 months.  Maybe this one will be 5 years.

I'll bet you did outgrow them (since you're so much older than me).
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: May 24th, 2006, 5:41pm »

on May 23rd, 2006, 11:15pm, Katherinecm wrote:
I'm convinced that Verap is what made me go chronic.

LMMFAO!!...Thanks for the laugh Grin
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

lashultz
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #11 on: May 24th, 2006, 7:25pm »

Well here I go again. After a couple of months of "getting better", they are starting. I think the summer has a lot to do with it. I have increased the verapimill and started with the prednisone. I was previously chronic for several years. Which maybe I still am. I was hoping not. I also use kudzu and zomig as preventatives daily. Oyxgen also helps for an abortive along with imiterx. I do not use a prednisone tapper. I just use 10 mg. once or twice a day. My doctor is very stingy with steriods and doesn't believe in the tapper theory. I tend to agree with him.

lashultz

IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #12 on: May 25th, 2006, 6:36am »

I would start with the preventive that works best for me,  but your neuro is not going to write you a script for tryptamines.

Done properly, tryptamines such as psilocybin can prevent entire cycles. The side effects, if you are careful with the dosing and are not insane, are just about non-existant, except maybe for a case of the giggles.

The cost is low, there is no hassle with doctor appointments, insurance coverage & etc. and you take your medicine once a week for a couple or a half-dozen weeks.

Problems: still illegal, still have to grow them yourself (for best and safest results), must NOT use any of the hallucinogens if you suffer from inherent mental illness.  Do not drive or operate heavy machinery while under the influence (Heavy, Man!). There may be a moderate increase in heart-rate & blood pressure.

Another tryptamine,  seems to be effective with even fewer psychedelic side effects, but it is still early in the investigation. LSA is a much-milder cousin of LSD and is found in the seeds of certain flowering vines. The seeds may contain other alkaloids that can cause bad reactions, and one must proceed with caution.

And one must educate oneself fully before considering the use of any tryptamines: www.clusterbusters.com

-tommyD

IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss