Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 6:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Taurine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Taurine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Taurine  (Read 4694 times)
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Taurine
« on: Jul 26th, 2006, 2:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I started taking taurine this morning--I am going to try 500 mg three times a day.  The reason for this is that I am in 2 1/2 weeks into the 8 weeks cycle--it seems for me that melatonin has been miraculous in a lot of ways however my body seems become immune to its effects so that I add 3 mg to my dose every 2 nights now--every time I add three more mg it helps me for two nights in a row and then the CH start breaking through full-force like gangbusters.  I am up to 18 mg now--last night still waking up every 90 minutes with pain but huge improvement--just had to walk around didn't need O2 till the morning--this will work for another night and then my body will become immune.  I am also getting the CH now in the evening--damn headaches.  Anyway, two things--1)  has anyone gone higher than this (18 mg) with the melatonin?  2)  Right now I am also adding taurine and will let people know how it goes.  I would love to hear about anyone's experience with taurine (and amounts taken)--it helps me figure out a plan.  Cause I got six more weeks to go--Thanks guys/gals and wishing you all painfree.

Starlight
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Taurine
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 3:49pm »

Have you read Barry's trial of taurine?

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1146013283

...and how much taurine to aboart...

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1153625827

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2006, 3:57pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 6:19pm »

Charlotte,

Thankyou for the links!  I had not seen the second link.  I did get the idea and the amount for the taurine from Barry's thread!  I am hopeful that it (the taurine) will be helpful b/c I don't really want to keep upping the melatonin 3 mg every two days (it just seems like I will end up being on a lot).  This place has been a Godsend with all of the ideas and information--to feel like you have tools to fight this thing...
Starlight
IP Logged
ShaneM
New Board Junior
USA 

Will someone pull this out of my eye?

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 6:23pm »

Star,
I was just posting briefly with Barry on the subject the other day.  He said that his Blog was not up to date, but I looked at it anyway.  Very promising! I may try myself.  He told me that he would be out in the bush for the rest of this week but would be back this  weekend.  I am sure that he will see this thread then.

Let us know.. and good luck.

Shane Wink
IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 6:31pm »

Shane,

Thanks a million for the support!  I just looked at your thread with Barry--it certainly does look incredibly promising.  I'm giving it a go...definitely let us know how it goes for you if you end up giving it a try yourself!  I would be very interested to hear how it goes for you! Wishing you PFDAN, Starlight
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 1:39am »

I took Melatonin for a long time.  It did make a significant difference.

Instead of upping the Melatonin....when the CH broke thru...I took less.   This worked just fine for a while...and when the CH broke thru again, I would up to the amount I dropped....make sense?  Huh

Just remember....more is not always better.   I yo-yoed the Melatonin...to fit my need at the time.

Just a suggestion...I do realize we're all very different.

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #6 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 11:14am »

I added benadryl to the melatonin-worked like charm so far...as for the taurine-am waiting for my shipment to arrive-this could be really exciting...its alot cheaper than the energy drinks-I also ordered the carnitine and a B complex-kinda picked the first few ingredients.  Figure I will wash it down with some mega coffee.
Best wishes for PFDAN ahead!
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 11:42am »

TXBasslady,

Thank you for your tip!  I will try to lower it--it is worth a try.  Cause it works so damn good when I have the right dose.  Were you lowering it 3 mg or 6 mg? Starlight
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Aug 4th, 2006, 12:34pm »

I only lowered or upped 3 mg.  I was afraid changing it 6 mg. might be too much.

The most I ever took was 12 mg.    

I started taking the Kudzu Feb, 05...but for me, the Melatonin and Kudzu mix didn't work.  I dropped the Melatonin, and stayed with the Zu till Dec, 05.  

My Doc gave me a Rx for 02....and fortunately, it's done a great job so far.  With a Clustermasx, I can abort in 2-5 minutes, depending on how soon I hit the 02.

Good luck,

Jean
IP Logged

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

Radha
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Aug 10th, 2006, 1:10am »

why does the taurine makes the clusters worse and for how long does it make it worse before you get relief? i am starting with 500mg 3  times a day and have noticed worsening of pain, anyone know why taurine might make it worse?  
radha
IP Logged
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Aug 10th, 2006, 1:21am »

I think it's because you're taking something new...different.    

You need time for the taurine to get in your system.

Good luck...I hope you find some pf time.

Jean
IP Logged

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #11 on: Aug 10th, 2006, 1:09pm »

Okay!  my taurine arrived, as well as the B vits.  So, will be trying this as soon as I get a little stable.  Sure looks promising!
kathy
IP Logged

rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #12 on: Aug 10th, 2006, 1:52pm »

HI Kathy We are posting on the same threads here. I also take magnesium along with Taurine and B vits but I still need my other meds sigh........Detoxing for clusterbust I found the Red Bull got rid of one bad migraine and a couple a shadows last week. I was lucky the kip level was low though. Coincidence. I dont know. I am keeping a headache diary again.
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10th, 2006, 2:12pm »

Seen alot of people taking magnesium-probably will add that as well.  I got the taurine to replace the energy drinks...haven't had a chance to try it yet becasue of the other things going on-last thing I need is any more "energy".
Will defintely be trying clusterbusters of some sort in the near future.  Hope it works for you!

PFDAN y'all
kathy
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2006, 2:12pm by kcopelin » IP Logged

Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #14 on: Aug 13th, 2006, 7:12pm »

If you're going to take magnesium, please include calcium supplements as well.  They work together - and without the calcium, magnesium often creates diarrhea.

Also there is a warning about taking Taurine with verapamil:

"CAUTION:  Taurine should not be taken if you are currently on a prescription for Verapamil or any other calcium channel blocker. Until more is learned, it is wise to assume that Taurine may increase the action of Verapamil, which could slow the heart excessively, causing irregular heart beats and possibly a heart attack. It is also not clear if Taurine would interact with other medicines like Sodium Valproate or Lithium."   - http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Taurine

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

Laurie
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
vermonster
New Board Newbie
USA 

From the monster !

« Reply #15 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 12:58pm »

on Jul 26th, 2006, 2:20pm, starlight wrote:
I started taking taurine this morning--I am going to try 500 mg three times a day.  The reason for this is that I am in 2 1/2 weeks into the 8 weeks cycle--it seems for me that melatonin has been miraculous in a lot of ways however my body seems become immune to its effects so that I add 3 mg to my dose every 2 nights now--every time I add three more mg it helps me for two nights in a row and then the CH start breaking through full-force like gangbusters.  I am up to 18 mg now--last night still waking up every 90 minutes with pain but huge improvement--just had to walk around didn't need O2 till the morning--this will work for another night and then my body will become immune.  I am also getting the CH now in the evening--damn headaches.  Anyway, two things--1)  has anyone gone higher than this (18 mg) with the melatonin?  2)  Right now I am also adding taurine and will let people know how it goes.  I would love to hear about anyone's experience with taurine (and amounts taken)--it helps me figure out a plan.  Cause I got six more weeks to go--Thanks guys/gals and wishing you all painfree.

Starlight

IP Logged

"there is no strength where there is no struggle"
vermonster
New Board Newbie
USA 

From the monster !

« Reply #16 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 1:04pm »

I stumbled upon the Taurine and after a little research, could find nothing bad about it.  I was suffering for SO long, and worried I had become chronic.  The O2 was aborting attacks, although only if I was at a level 10 and I was into my 5th month.  I started by chugging a red bull (has 1000mg of tauring in it) and was surprised that it stopped my cluster within seconds.  I went to GNC and bought a bottle of the stuff (cheap enough, too) and now take 1000 - 3000 mg a day.  If I miss a day - I know it by the next morning - I don't get a full blown cluster, but have a heavy head that feels more like a hangover. Nice reminder to get out the bottle of Taurine.  Makes sense to me that as I age, I body just isn't making all the stuff it needs to function properly - a decline in my own ability to make natural stuff (for instance, I became lactose intolerant at 35).  
I move on with new confidence - should the CH return, I have my sure fire O2 and now the taurine.  A lifesaver!
IP Logged

"there is no strength where there is no struggle"
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 1:15am »

Hi All

This is probably a good time to give a run down on how I have been going with the Taurine trial.
I started the trial Wednesday 19 April 2006 and only noticed a minor improvement in the first week but by the end of the first month I had settled into a period of 3 to 4 days without getting hit and then a couple of days getting hit but only very light and easily aborted with Red Bull or o2.
I had a couple of periods where I had around 10 days & no hits and then a period of 39 days hit free before getting a KIP 6 on Oct 2 06 without warning but it only lasted about 3 minutes and just disappeared as quick as it came & with no abortive, that was 7 days ago now so it will be interesting to see how long this break will be.

As a summary what appears to have happened is that I have gradually built up or reached a balance of the three elements in my system to get me to the point where the hits are not severe or if they are they just don’t last, from memory the longest I have had is about 5 to 7 minutes in duration.

As I only went chronic after my last cycle in Dec 04 I don’t have any history as to what to expect and I guess the only way to prove that the Taurine, Magnesium & Zink regime is working is to drop the trial, BUT I really don’t want to go back to where I was 6 months ago so for me that is not going to happen.

Kind Regards & PF times to all.
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #18 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 6:53am »

It's been interesting to read everyone's experiences about taurine. I'm going to add taurine to my ch kit as soon as it arrives. Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

lskilly
New Board Veteran
USA 

A dyed in the wool fly fishin fool

WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 8:13pm »

Barry  

Thanks for the post on Taurine. I think I wll give it  a try.

Lskilly
IP Logged
Chuffy
New Board Junior
United_Kingdom 

« Reply #20 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 6:09am »

Isn't it Taurine in Red Bull that helps abort attacks?
IP Logged

www.site full of PF idiots.com
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 6:32am »

Its the combination of caffeine and red bull. Alot of people found drinking strong coffee helped so others tried red bull which works really well. Flo did some research and found that Taurine increases the effect of the caffeine, sort of like a turbo boost so its the combination of the two in red bull that can make it a really good abortive.
Personally I've found you need to chug it as fast as you can (no trying to be ladylike here!) and knock it back as early onas you can. Don't wait for it to build as you do get to the point where it won't work.
Its a useful trick especially when out so I always carry a can in my handbag.
Doubly useful if I want to hit anyone with it  Wink
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Carl_D

Email

« Reply #22 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 6:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Aug 13th, 2006, 7:12pm, Garys_Girl wrote:
If you're going to take magnesium, please include calcium supplements as well.  They work together - and without the calcium, magnesium often creates diarrhea.

Also there is a warning about taking Taurine with verapamil:

"CAUTION:  Taurine should not be taken if you are currently on a prescription for Verapamil or any other calcium channel blocker. Until more is learned, it is wise to assume that Taurine may increase the action of Verapamil, which could slow the heart excessively, causing irregular heart beats and possibly a heart attack. It is also not clear if Taurine would interact with other medicines like Sodium Valproate or Lithium."   - http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Taurine

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

Laurie

BUMP on this!
IP Logged
Tata

Email

« Reply #23 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 6:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This is interesting, hope the link works. BTW, I tried Redbull at the onset of a HA the other night and it made me sick to my stomach instantly--usually I get neauseous in the middle of an attack. I guess I'll have to stick with mega doses of Pepsi daily.....
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/caffeine-stoked-energy-drinks-worry /20061029170309990001
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss