Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 8:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Taurine Trial »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Taurine Trial
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Taurine Trial  (Read 10492 times)
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

Taurine Trial
« on: Apr 25th, 2006, 9:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well folks the first week has passed & there have been some improvements in how I am feeling generally.
Prior to starting on April 19 I was getting light – heavy shadows, after the fourth day they had reduced to light and then down to the point of nothing – to only light which is where I am at now.
I haven’t had a hit in four days and I have been increasing my alcohol intake to test it out, I have gone from zero alcohol to having four drinks per day over the week.
I also have Exploding Head and Restless leg syndrome; both of these have reduced in frequency since starting this trial.

Being only one week into the trial I’m not saying this is the be all & end all of it but I am certainly encouraged by my improvement and will keep you updated weekly.

I have a spreadsheet recording all of what is happening but am unable to post it, if anyone wants to see the result so far just PM me with your Email address & I will send it on to you.

Kind Regards
Barry  
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2006, 4:13am by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
Melissa

Email

Re: Taurine Trial Week 1 Update
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 2:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for guinea pigging Barry!!!

Smileymel
IP Logged
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 8:09am »

And for testing the alcohol part too! Keep us posted! I hate being "dry" for 3 months at a time......
IP Logged
jhammer
New Board Veteran
USA 

This is pure AGONY!!!

jhammer98
Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 9:54am »

on Apr 26th, 2006, 8:09am, marlinsfan wrote:
I hate being "dry" for 3 months at a time......

Amen to that!

It sure keeps the checking account looking healthy too.  Well...just enough to cover $140 in co-pays every other week or so.

~Jake
IP Logged
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #4 on: Apr 26th, 2006, 1:19pm »

Barry, the good news is very encouraging!

What dosage are you taking and when?  (And are you taking any other supplements, like magnesium, calcium or melatonin?)

Thanks!

Laurie
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2006, 1:20pm by Garys_Girl » IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 27th, 2006, 1:30am »

I have managed to put the log I am keeping into a BLOG, it’s a little untidy cos I’m new to this blog thingy but all the info is there.
There are 2-3 there but they are all the same and I couldn't work out how to get rid of the shitty ones.

Here’s the link.
http://au.blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-oT2JJXMzerQyQBygCRv3YiMCJuzW

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 1st, 2006, 2:37am »

Taurine Trial Log to 30 April 2006
Firstly I should explain why I am trying Taurine out as a therapy for those who don’t know what Taurine is, some of us have had reasonable success with using Red Bull as an abortive for low level hits & shadows, Red Bull contains 400mg of taurine /100ml.
My thought was that if Red Bull worked for killing a hit then maybe if taurine was taken as a supplement daily it may just prevent or at least reduce the effects of shadows.
Well folks I’m 13 days into the trial and things are looking good.
My shadows have all but ceased: when I do have them they are so light they are hardly noticeable.
I have had 2 hits in the last 10 days 1 @ 3 KIP and 1 @ 4 KIP but both have lasted less than a minute, yesterday one tried to start but didn’t reach a 1 and disappeared in less than a minute.
I gave the alcohol a nudge over the weekend: 6 low alcohol 3.5% Friday, Saturday & Sunday with no hits.
I’m at last able to sleep on my cluster side comfortably, something I haven’t been able to do for around 14 months and getting a decent nights sleep.
I have updated my blog for those wishing to look at the log I am keeping, the link is below.

Kind Regards
Barry
« Last Edit: May 4th, 2006, 8:52pm by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

[img]
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #7 on: May 1st, 2006, 4:57am »

Thanks Barry for the update.  I see you use 500mg per day.  Do you take it once a day or at different times?

Which product/label do you use?
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

Re: Taurine Trial Week 2 Update
« Reply #8 on: May 1st, 2006, 6:26am »

Hi Jasmyn
I take the taurine3 times a day with my meals and the magnesium at lunch time.

The product is an Australian one but I guess that it should be available mostly anywhere, the product name is Orthoplex.
Thier Email addy is info@orthoplex.com.au and I think it's in the state of New South Wales Aust.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

[img]
Melissa

Email

Re: Taurine Trial Week 2 Update
« Reply #9 on: May 1st, 2006, 10:30am »

Barry, this is great!!!  I'm so glad you are seeing a difference from taking the Taurine.  I want to also try it next cycle, along with my kudzu, to see if I can knock them out completely.

I keep checking here for your updates, so I thank you for taking this on.

Smileymel
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

Re: Taurine Trial Week 3 Update
« Reply #10 on: May 9th, 2006, 1:22am »

Well folks the third week has passed & things are still going well, it's now been 18 days since I had a hit.
It's tried to attack a couple of times but just can't start up and I'm feeling good.

Here's the link to the Blog again.

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

[img]
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 9th, 2006, 1:26am »

Great news Barry.  Taurine will be on my list for next season.   I am really glad you are pf!
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #12 on: May 9th, 2006, 1:32am »

Well, the results look good and thanks for the info Barry.  I'll look in SA when I go next week to see if I can find the brand.  SA do import from Australia, good neighbours the Aussies. Wink
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
Steve_Gn
New Board Newbie
USA 

grifden  
Email

« Reply #13 on: May 9th, 2006, 1:00pm »

I also started taking Tuarine, 4000 Mg a day, and Magnesium,1200 Mg a day and all headaches stopped.

For me this is not a far test though as I was close to the end of my cycle anyway. I am still taking both and will continue for at least a month or so. I will also try it again next cycle.
IP Logged

Someday my tomb stone will read...

Finally
Headache Free!

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #14 on: May 9th, 2006, 4:11pm »

Congrats on the PF time and thanks for being a beta tester for another weapon in the arsenal against the beast.

Mike
IP Logged
nikozai
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pain... ow.. pain..

« Reply #15 on: May 13th, 2006, 4:06am »

Awesome, I'm going to give this a try as well.
I can't get the perscriptions I need so I'm going herbal, probably the best thing anyway. Kudzu will start on Monday and Taurine will start tomorrow.

I'm about to try the redbull abortive for the KIP 3 I've been at for 3 hours (was a kip 6/7 for an hour when it started) Can't really sleep anyway - can't lay on that side either =)

I went running an hour ago to see if increased heartrate could stop it, it did, but only as long as my heart rate was up. Really weird, these CH's sure don't act like any other headache.

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2006, 4:07am by nikozai » IP Logged

Peter - 3 months since first attack, ongoing cycle. Pred. under 20mg sets it off. Starting Kudzu, Taurine and Melatonin while coming off pred. Praying it works.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: May 13th, 2006, 11:20pm »

Hi Nikozai

Welcome to the site and hope you get some relief shortly.
Glad you’re going to give Taurine a try but I’m not sure how it will go with the bigger hits. I turned chronic my last cycle and had been shadowing heavily with low level hits the max being a KIP 4 until I started on the Taurine.
As you can see from my headache diary I am getting some pretty good results: BUT although its working for me it may not work for everyone and I don’t know what the effect is going to be when used with other meds as I don’t use them, my weapon of choice for the biggies is oxygen and remembering that I am only in the early stages of trying Taurine out.

Your talking about trying Kudzu; the only reason I didn’t try that was I just couldn’t get it here, and its interesting when you look up the info that both are used for is treating alcoholism.

If you’re not keeping a diary on what’s happening you really should do, not only for your info but for your Doc because I know it’s hard to remember every thing when you go there?
Hope things get better for you soon.
Kind Regards
Barry  
IP Logged

[img]
nikozai
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pain... ow.. pain..

« Reply #17 on: May 15th, 2006, 1:34pm »

I actually have a wholesaler of Kudzu a few blocks away that quoted me US$140.00 for 5 kilograms of 4-1 concentrated Kudzu in powder form. They come in 1 kilogram bags. I miiiight get it but it's always easier to get a bottle of pills, The cost savings is decent depending how much I go through. If you want me to ship you a bag, let me know.

Also it doesn't surprise me that the part of the brain effected by alcohol is the part that's acting up. The pain behind my eye I always got as a hangover headache, but never as bad or with the facial effects before. I'm sure alcohol has something to do with the problem, and I'm starting to think Taurine might too. I stopped drinking redbulls around February and that's when it started. I drank 2 a day this weekend at a lower (10mg) Pred dose and I haven't had a full-on attack yet, some very slight shadows, that eyelid is heavy.

Could be somethin to this!
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2006, 1:38pm by nikozai » IP Logged

Peter - 3 months since first attack, ongoing cycle. Pred. under 20mg sets it off. Starting Kudzu, Taurine and Melatonin while coming off pred. Praying it works.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

Re: Taurine Trial Week 4 Update
« Reply #18 on: May 15th, 2006, 8:54pm »

Well Folks everything was going good until May 6 when I couldn’t get the 500mg capsules and had to go for 200mg and up the dosage to 6 a day.
They aren’t as good as the 500 and I’m felling the effect, got whacked with a 3 last night but it only lasted for about a minute and went as quick as it came and I’m left with a pretty sore head from 5 exploding head wacks overnight.
Hopefully when I can get back on the 500mg things will turn around again, they certainly appear to be reducing the incidence of the hits.

Regards
Barry
IP Logged

[img]
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #19 on: May 20th, 2006, 9:38am »

Barry,

I'm so sorry you got hit... Sad
I hope that you can find those 500mg tablests soon.

Best wishes & PFdays,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

stoneystone

Email

« Reply #20 on: May 20th, 2006, 11:13am »

It's been a long while since I've posted but I wanted to share my experience with taurine as well.  I too have have been using energy drinks with taurine during my cluster cycles. For the last two years.  Barry, the supplement idea is very intriguing.  

I started with red bull but I've found that some of the other energy drinks out there like Rock Star or others have much higher levels of taurine.  I think you may be on to something.  They haven't prevented all of my clusters but I believe they have made a difference.  I'll be following your experiment closely.  

Thanks Barry

Joe Stone
Denver
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #21 on: May 20th, 2006, 12:51pm »

I've been drinking Rock Star and Monster-they have a higher level of taurine-but are expensive-the tablet form would be alot cheaper if it works-and your experiment looks promising...one question-there has been concern raised over the potential side effects of taurine while taking verapamil-might increase the chances of cardiac arrhymia or even heart attack-are you taking verap or any other calcium channel blocker?
very happy to see these results, by the way.
PFDAN
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: May 21st, 2006, 10:15am »

Hi Kathy

The Taurine tablets I’m taking are $15.00 Aust for 60 that’s about $11.00 US so yes it is cheaper than the energy drinks.
As for what effect they would have with other medication I don’t know as I don’t take any prescriptive meds for the CH, my weapon of choice is o2 for the biggies as it works well for me.
If you are thinking of trying Taurine I would discuss it with your Doc first, everything I have read about Taurine doesn’t suggest there should be any side effects.
Being only four weeks into trying this out i'm not getting totally excited until i've run with it for three months.

Kind Regards
Barry  
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2006, 10:16am by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

[img]
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #23 on: May 21st, 2006, 10:30am »

This looks very promising, Barry. Thank you for being a beta tester. I'm thrilled to see that it's worked well for you so far. I do have another question. Perhaps Flo can answer it?
Would taurine have the same potentially negative effect if someone is on another type of blood pressure med?  

continued PF wishes to you, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
nikozai
New Board Newbie
USA 

Pain... ow.. pain..

« Reply #24 on: May 21st, 2006, 5:17pm »

Well I found these great 1000MG Taurine pills made by a company called Jarrow (jarrow.com).
I've been taking one in the morning, but it sounds like i should increase that to another in the late afternoon.
I'm also taking a 613 Kudzu pill at 9am and 9pm along with 5mg (1/4 tab) of the Prednisone.  

Something is working in this mix because I've only been hit twice. Once on wednesday (only 2nd day of kudzu and taurine, happened because i stepped down prednizone to 5 from 10 that day)

Then the second attack was this morning, probably due to heavy stress with the girlfriend last night. But the good news this morning was, i started to get hit, downed a red-bull with one of the taurine pills, and it never got past a 3 and was gone within 20 minutes.

I've also found that when I have shadows, If i drink a glass of gatorade, they seem to go away. Shadows do feel like a light hangover to me, and my old hangover cure was to chug a 1/2 gallon of gatorade before bed and then the rest in the morning.  

Talk to ya soon, try this jarrows stuff. Says pharmaceutical grade on it =) (how true is it though lol)

I'm going to stop prednizone completely on wednesday. I actually think i'll be able to quit!!!
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss