Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 4:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « OTC drugs...worked for me. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   OTC drugs...worked for me.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: OTC drugs...worked for me.  (Read 1589 times)
Genesius
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Noli me tangere!"

OTC drugs...worked for me.
« on: Oct 29th, 2006, 9:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This I really can't believe happened but it did.  I recommend trying it for the helluva it.  Can't hurt (more!), right?  

I had one at 5am yesterday..stayed for 2 hours..and left. Came back at 10am and stayed until 1pm.  I'm sitting at an IHOP thoroughly NOT enjoying my Breakfast Sampler with my wonderful wife and kids.   I notice a CVS across the street.  I remember buying an OTC headache med once and it broke what felt like a different type of headache (migraine?) once.  By this point, I'm feeling the surge of imitrex and don't want to take anymore.  Plus, its not working.  

I bought a bottle of Excedrin Migraine, took 2 and the CH was gone inside of 20 minutes.  Had another this a.m.  Took NO imitex.  Instread, Excedrin Migraine.  CH is toast.  The beast has been released. For now.  

WTH?  In the 12 years I've been afflicted, no OTC has ever done anything. Until now.  

I can honestly say that so far, it has been the best $5 I've ever spent in my entire life.   Wink

Cheers,
David
IP Logged
chewy

Email

Re: OTC drugs...worked for me.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 10:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Perhaps you had a migraine.
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 10:25am »

If you have clusters and the pain stopped after taking the asprin, it wasn't from the excedrin.

I've noticed lots of folks here are getting these 3 & 4 hour clusters. Maybe I'm misdiagnosed.

Cheers

Sean...................................
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 10:40am »

Or... confusing shadows with attacks?  
Excedrine Migraine will kill those long lasting, heavy shadows for me, but it won't touch an attack.  
What do you normally use as an abortive, David? Are you taking any prevents?  
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
chewy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 10:49am »

Quote:

More than likely the circumstance if an aspirin helped.
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 10:54am »

on Oct 29th, 2006, 10:40am, nani wrote:

I do that too, they can be easily mistaken for the same thing.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the info Dave.

Sean....................................................
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 10:58am »

Hi David, I'm glad to hear that Excedrine Migraine can help you with minor hits.  If it helped you with a major attack, I tend to think that you were reaching the end of the attack anyway.  EM ingredients: # Active ingredients: acetaminophen 200 mg, aspirin 250 mg, caffeine 65 mg

Caffeine is always part of my arsenal, but it only works if I take at least 200-300 mg right at the onset, and only if it's not a high level attack.  Let us know more about you and your experiences with cluster headache.  All the best.

pattik
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
chewy

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 11:42am »

Hey Sean. Try this.

IP Logged
Genesius
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Noli me tangere!"

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 11:47am »

It was most def. NOT a migraine.  Trust me.  Shadowing is always possible but unlikely as I took it during an attack..though what I was hoping was the end.  And it ended soon after.  

However, I took 2 right at the beginning and it went away.  A tough decision to experiment knowing what was about to happen but it worked.    

FWIW, I'm on prednisone (tapered) and usually respond to the Imitrex nasal..though I do "hit the needle" after I've had a couple of 7+ Kippers and a pattern starts.  Several cycles a few years back would only *slightly* respond to injections.  Man, my arms, ass, legs...sore!  Ugh.  

Around '94, during my first attack, I tried several meds including Lidocaine, Imitrex pills and spray, O2 and a few I tried and forgot because they failed.  

Believe me when I tell you....this just isn't right.  Asprin? Acetamenophin? Caffeine? Yeah right.  But it was right twice in two days at different stages.   Undecided

Cheers,
David
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 2:35pm »

David, sometimes anything will work.  I'm glad it worked for you.  I hope it continues.

What we have is unpredictable.

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2006, 2:37pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 4:41pm »

I guess I just imagined Excedrin Migraine with all that caffine helped me as well.  

Bill
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
Genesius
New Board Newbie
USA 

"Noli me tangere!"

« Reply #11 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 5:13pm »

on Oct 29th, 2006, 2:35pm, Charlotte wrote:
David, sometimes anything will work.  I'm glad it worked for you.  I hope it continues.

What we have is unpredictable.

Charlotte

No kidding.  Second only to the pain, is the unpredictability of abortives.  If I knew nothing would work and I could count on a 45-60 minute trip into pain hell once or twice a day for 5-6 weeks every 2 years (my current cycle) then it would almost be more bearable.  Eh...maybe not.  Undecided

Sounds odd but the fear of the unknown just hammers on me so much so often.  

Thanks a lot for your concern.  This place is such a comfort to me.  

Cheers,
David
IP Logged
BigCoffinHunter
New Board Veteran
USA 

The man in black fled across the desert

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 11:17am »

on Oct 29th, 2006, 4:41pm, Racer1_NC wrote:
I guess I just imagined Excedrin Migraine with all that caffine helped me as well.  

Bill

I would think it's the caffeine.  Remember Excedrin Migraine is just regular Excedrin with a fancy label that says Migraine.  Don't pay a premium for it.
IP Logged
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #13 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 3:25pm »

on Oct 30th, 2006, 11:17am, BigCoffinHunter wrote:

I would think it's the caffeine.  Remember Excedrin Migraine is just regular Excedrin with a fancy label that says Migraine.  Don't pay a premium for it.

Exactly. It is like a double dose of excedrin. For low level kips and shadows I take a red bull with 2-3 motrin for the same effect and cheaper too than fancy excedrin migraine. There is no real migraine drug OTC
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 4:13pm »

Excedrin Migraine works well for me on shadows.  I only use it when I have persistent shadows that are chased away with O2, but continue to return as Oxygen usually does the trick on it's own.

I'll have to look into it being the same as regular Excedrin, as throwing away money is certainly not my plan.

IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 8:25pm »

For shadows, even for low level hits, Excedrin "Extra Strength" will work for me, if I take it immediately.  I read the labels of Excedrin Extra Strength and Excedrin Migraine - exactly the same ingredients at the same quantity, yet "Migraine" was more expensive  Huh  

I guess it's all in the advertising.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 12:45am »

on Oct 29th, 2006, 11:42am, chewy wrote:
Hey Sean. Try this.

...'the hell is that thing?  

Huh

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
ti_beach
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 1:18am »

Sad Wouldn't it be wonderful if everything that worked for a few ppl....worked for everyone of the CH's??? We all know that certain things work for different people!! There are no known cures, no known "set offs"....One thing may work for one person, Thank God!....and it will have no affect on the next person! Embarassed... Just be grateful that something was affective for you!!  
Pain free days for you!, Robin Smiley twocents
IP Logged
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #18 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 9:31am »

on Oct 30th, 2006, 3:25pm, rickyshot wrote:

Exactly. It is like a double dose of excedrin. For low level kips and shadows I take a red bull with 2-3 motrin for the same effect and cheaper too than fancy excedrin migraine. There is no real migraine drug OTC

HOw can Red Bull plus 2 regular excedrin be cheaper than taking 2 Excedrin?  Online you can get 50 Ex Migraine for $6.20, that would be 25 doses, right?  How much is 25 Red Bulls?

Now, Red Bull is probably more effective, but I am surprised it is cheaper.

The first thing I thought when I read this thread is how he probably could buy a 2 liter of Mountain Dew (do they still make jolt?), some generic advil, and some generic acetomeniphin and be cheaper and just as effective.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Bethany1
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Always do whatever's next.

« Reply #19 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 8:03pm »

on Oct 31st, 2006, 9:31am, FramCire wrote:

The first thing I thought when I read this thread is how he probably could buy a 2 liter of Mountain Dew (do they still make jolt?), some generic advil, and some generic acetomeniphin and be cheaper and just as effective.

Eric, you just made me laugh with this post... just buy the damn excedrine if it works...
IP Logged

I am sofa king we todd did.

crack is wack
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 1st, 2006, 11:20pm »

on Oct 31st, 2006, 12:45am, georgej wrote:

...'the hell is that thing?  

Huh

George

Its an ice mask Grin He was politely telling me to STFU Grin

Sean............................... Grin
IP Logged
aubmari
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Do not lose heart~

« Reply #21 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 12:30pm »

I am glad that this worked for you Genesius! It makes sense on why this would work really. The reason for the caffiene is to open the blood vessels right?  This may not work for everyone but definately wroth a try!!! Probably works similar to redbull. I am going to try it when needed. Cant hurt and probably not as bad as half the things that arent OTC.  Smiley

PF wishes to you!
Aubmari
IP Logged

Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love deeply and forgive quickly.

thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #22 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 2:40pm »

on Oct 29th, 2006, 4:41pm, Racer1_NC wrote:

Bill

We go through that stuff like candy in my house.  It is great for shadows and it helps the nagging hanging on low kip ones as well.  I am not too proud to admit that I use OTC's as part of my attack plan.  Although I am huge consumer of O2 and zomig as well.  Hell I even use coffee to help, and hot showers and ice packs and all kinds of realitively "inert" stuff.  But hey what do I know?  Wink
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #23 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 2:41pm »

on Oct 31st, 2006, 9:31am, FramCire wrote:

HOw can Red Bull plus 2 regular excedrin be cheaper than taking 2 Excedrin?  Online you can get 50 Ex Migraine for $6.20, that would be 25 doses, right?  How much is 25 Red Bulls?

Now, Red Bull is probably more effective, but I am surprised it is cheaper.

She said redbull and two MOTRIN, not excedrin.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 3:04pm »

on Nov 6th, 2006, 12:30pm, aubmari wrote:
I am glad that this worked for you Genesius! It makes sense on why this would work really. The reason for the caffiene is to open the blood vessels right?  Aubmari

Hi Aubmari, caffeine actually constricts the blood vessels which expand when we're getting hit, THAT is why its so effective for us, it's a vaso constrictor same as triptans and O2!

Hope that helps
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss