Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 4th, 2024, 8:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Expensive meds !! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Expensive meds !!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Expensive meds !!  (Read 1211 times)
UN-solved

Email

Expensive meds !!
« on: Nov 21st, 2006, 12:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I know alot of the meds we take are expensive. For example...Imitrex jabs are outragously priced !

Today I went to pick up an RX for 8 Actiq 'lollipops' (pain meds) and it cost $300 !!  Now that's the most expensive suckers I've ever heard of !!  Shocked

UNsolved  Angry
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Re: Expensive meds !!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 7:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

That's one of the reasons I'm looking into other treatments. Basically, meds are far too expensive (and cause too many side effects to me). Especially, because my insurance doesn't cover any medical expences anymore.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 1:46pm »

Unsolved just curious do you have no insurance or is that a co-pay?  I am sorry you are going broke to find a peace of mind.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
goof1031
New Board Newbie
USA 

goof1031  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 1:52pm »

The insurance companies make me so angry. With my co-pay I spent $130.00 for 6 Imitrex NS. You would think the insurance would cover the cost since our premiums are so high. I was going to ask my Dr. about the Imitrex injection but i probably couldnt afford it anyways.
IP Logged

In CLusterHead Friends we TRUST!!!!
CynthiaB
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21st, 2006, 6:21pm »

When my husband went to pick up my Topamax Friday, it wasn't filled. The insurance company wouldn't pay without an doctor's pre-authorization. Well, what the hell is a prescription? My heart goes out to people without the resources to cover these expenses. If I had to add financial stress to this other shit, I know I would lose my mind. I know pain is said to be the great equalizer, but it isn't quite so equal when you don't know how you're going to pay for the meds that you need. This is something that makes it on my gratitude list EVERY day.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 8:53am »

Unsolved

I have always had to pay cash for my Imigran Imjections with no financial help from my Medical Aid which is just a disguised hospital plan but still costs a fortune each month. A 3 month cycle of Imigran/Imitrex can leave you broke so I know how you feel!

I personally found the inj to be nothing less than a miracle at first but always tended to keep them back for emergency use only, because of the cost and availability of enough. I used the "tip" for most hits during the last few cycles but found my cycles got longer. It's been said by many here that the more Trex you use the more CH you get.

I decided several years ago to look for a totally med free alternative and have a method that works really well for me since for the past 4 years to break or prevent a cycle with a strict fruit and veg and water diet.

Unsolved I am sure you will have read my many posts on the subject in the past.

I have always been quite amazed at how many injections you say you have to use to beat this bastard. I hope you are not doing yourself any permanent damage with so much Trex.

I hope you manage to come right soon - hang in there.
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
UN solved

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 5:04pm »

Thanks for your kind words ppl.

Yes Karla, I do have insurance. It's Medicare Part D and IN. Medicaid but it will not pay for Actiq (so far). I'm not willing to dish out the cash for pain meds that probably won't help anyways.

Thank goodness I get all my Trex injects free from my local neuro's office. They get and give me TONS of it for free. Always have. They've saved me tons of pain. They've kept me alive and sane (<--argueable  Tongue ) for many years.

UNsolved
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 6:10pm »

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The insurance companies make me so angry. With my co-pay I spent $130.00 for 6 Imitrex NS. You would think the insurance would cover the cost since our premiums are so high. I was going to ask my Dr. about the Imitrex injection but i probably couldnt afford it anyways

What the Ins. co's do....bless their heart, is they will only allow 2 injectables for the same price as 6 nasal sprays.   So if you can afford the nasal sprays you can afford the inj.     Just make sure you only have 2 headaches per month.  bleah!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
HeadhurtinMama
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I'll be just peachy when it quits hurting!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 9:45pm »

Yeah, I get 4 shots a month for the same copay as 6 nasal sprays, so at least they do give me two boxes of injections.

Bridget
IP Logged

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are
Wake me up when September ends
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 9:08am »

If you are on Medicaide (MediCal in California) and the Rx is not covered, you can ask your doctor to write a Treatment Authorization Request.  Often this does the trick-though not always.  Also, check out www.needymeds.com.  You may be eligible for a Patients Assistance Program from the pharmaceutical company.  PM me if you need help-used to help Medicare beneficiaries for a living.
PFDAN
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
chewy

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 9:49am »

Always, Always, Always, fight the bastards.

http://headaches.about.com/cs/advocacy/a/trip_limits.htm
IP Logged
stacy3675
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hey! Everybody

stacy3675  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 11:56pm »

This is truly a problem for you all I didn't realize how bad it is My copay is only 10.00 no matter what and I getmuch more than you all. I am going to kiss my ins guy next time I go to pay my premium.
IP Logged

StAcY SpRiNg
jon019

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 27th, 2006, 12:42am »

on Nov 25th, 2006, 9:49am, chewy wrote:
Always, Always, Always, fight the bastards.

http://headaches.about.com/cs/advocacy/a/trip_limits.htm

Sorry Un for the tough choices you have to make.

Oh yeah! Chewy is right  (and that's a great link). Using it and advice from Linda and others I appealed my 6 zomig limit. Ins co upped it to 12 (max my neuro would allow) and at the SAME copay of $20. Makes no friggin sense. Also allow 5 vials Imi inject vials at the same time for the same $20 copay. (NO, I don't use them wo 24 hr wait).  

Point is ins co follows no discernible logic so APPEAL.  They are so busy screwing people that sometimes they screw themselves. Or at least that's what it looks like. Maybe just incompetent and they will catch on to my fortune. Sure helps to have a good Doc that will support you too.

BTW Stacy, could you share with us the insurance company (&/or plan) you use. Pretty please.

Regards

Jon
IP Logged
Bgorsh
New Board Newbie
USA 

slipnico

« Reply #13 on: Nov 30th, 2006, 1:53pm »

A prior authorization as its called is something you might need in addition to a prescription; it basically lets the insurance company know that nothing else is working for you and that you need the medication. Otherwise, the doctor would just be able to prescribe you something else that is cheaper than the original medication. I work in a pharmacy so I know how out of hand the insurance companies have gotten with the prior auths. But in some cases depending on your insurance they will cover a lot of the cost if you get one from your doctor also depending on whether the medication is on your insurances list of formularies.
IP Logged
liquidsuspension
New Board Newbie
USA 

James 1:2-4

« Reply #14 on: Nov 30th, 2006, 4:43pm »

yea i just started using imitrex injections this cycle. i can't really afford the $26 refill cost, so i've only used 4 shots since i've been getting them. its a shame, they work great for me, but i have use then sparingly. i was getting the nasal sprays $25 for 6 units, and i could get that twice a month, but those didn't work as well for me.

IP Logged
CraigA27
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Nov 30th, 2006, 9:41pm »

Dam you guys have to pay a lot. Thought i was getting ripped off last year when my doc prescribed me eight injections and i had to pay £6.60($13) prescription charge at the chemist.

Dosent make me feel so bad about paying national insurance over here now. How you guys survive on paying for these must need meds amazes me
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #16 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 5:09am »

8 injections cost me around £140 ($70)
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Tybo
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 12:04pm »

on Nov 30th, 2006, 9:41pm, CraigA27 wrote:
Dam you guys have to pay a lot. Thought i was getting ripped off last year when my doc prescribed me eight injections and i had to pay £6.60($13) prescription charge at the chemist.

Dosent make me feel so bad about paying national insurance over here now. How you guys survive on paying for these must need meds amazes me

I got ten last week on a prescription  for the £6.60.  
After they'd tried making me feel guilty about it,after telling me they were £44 for two.
If they mention it again,i'm gonna bring up how much it costs them to supply Methadone every day to the scrote standing in front of me in the chemist Angry
IP Logged
Giovanni
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 12:53pm »

I know this is off topic a bit with CH, but my wife was speaking to a cashier at Food Lion Store and she was being treated for thyroid cancer.

Her doc came in with a rubber suit on and gave her one pill and told her to go straight home and stay in one room for one week; flush the toilet 3 times after each use.

Guess what..........the pill was billed at $33,000.00.   Yep, as in thirty-three thousand dollars.

John  Huh
IP Logged
Tata

Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 2:05pm »

on Dec 1st, 2006, 12:04pm, Tybo wrote:

After they'd tried making me feel guilty about it,after telling me they were £44 for two.
Angry

Take a hammer and screwdriver with you next time and volunteer to show them how badly a CH feels by driving the screwdriver into their eyeball. I'll wager you don't get any volunteers and the guilt trip BS disappears very quickly. ( Sorry for the rant, but I can't get over how badly CH'ers are treated at times.)
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 2:11pm »

on Dec 1st, 2006, 12:04pm, Tybo wrote:

If they mention it again,i'm gonna bring up how much it costs them to supply Methadone every day to the scrote standing in front of me in the chemist Angry

Actually Ty be grateful he has old figures, its actually £56 for two  Grin  Have you got a pre payment prescription certificate? Even at 10 for a single prescription fee it soon adds up hon.
Have a look at http://www.ppa.org.uk/ppa/ppc_intro.htm

Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #21 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 4:57pm »

on Dec 1st, 2006, 12:53pm, Giovanni wrote:

Her doc came in with a rubber suit on and gave her one pill and told her to go straight home and stay in one room for one week; flush the toilet 3 times after each use.

Guess what..........the pill was billed at $33,000.00.   Yep, as in thirty-three thousand dollars.

John  Huh

I'm pretty sure that was a radioactive pill, and she would certainly have to be in quarantine for a while after taking it, not to mention practically glowing in the dark.
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
stacy3675
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hey! Everybody

stacy3675  
Email

« Reply #22 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 3:11pm »

well I have John deer but I think it has more to do with my neuo then ins. My dr. writes 12 nasal for two weeks wth 1 reill as medical neccessary and so  get 24 a month for only 2 copays. He writes imitrx injections as quanity 40 so I get 8 boxes at a  tme for 1 copay. So  thnk it is ust how the dr. writes it.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2006, 3:12pm by stacy3675 » IP Logged

StAcY SpRiNg
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss