Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 8:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Quickie question re prednisone »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Quickie question re prednisone
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Quickie question re prednisone  (Read 822 times)
CynthiaB
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

Quickie question re prednisone
« on: Dec 1st, 2006, 5:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Doubled up on Verapamil...now on 240 twice a day with topamax 50 twice a day.

In the past 12 hours I've only had one hit. I picked up the prednisone rx this morning....but I have not gone 6 hours without a hit in the past13 weeks, much less 12 hours. I think I should hold off on the prednisone.  

I've never taken it before, and I don't really want to if my cycle is ending and/or upping the meds is dampening it.

(Being a rookie is good, because it means I have not been dealing with this for years. But I still feel stupid sometimes/most of the time/all the time Roll Eyes

Thanks in advance cyn
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2006, 5:52pm by CynthiaB » IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: Quickie question re prednisone
« Reply #1 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 6:30pm »

Just my opinion, but if you feel you're doing better and may not need it, leave it in the bottle. If you start getting hit in earnest, you can always start up.

Also, two of my docs have told me that if you take a high dose of prednisone for only a few days, there's no need to taper off of it - you can just stop. However, if you take it for more than like 3 or 4 days, you have to taper.

If I were you, I'd see how long I can go without taking it. It can have some really nasty side effects.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 7:00pm »

I'm with brew on this. Pred is my last resort when nothing else is working and I just need a few days off to get some rest and get my wits back.  

For me it guarantees no hits, even if I dring hard liquor, don't sleep, I can try all of my triggers and I'm immune. So like I said, I save it for when I'm not doing well. Good luck and heres to hoping the cycle is gonna release its grip on you for a while!!!!!!
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
CynthiaB
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 7:22pm »

Thanks for the quick advice.
I've put the instructions in the bottle, the bottle in the cabinet.

19 hours...2 minor hits....I am so happy I would turn cartwheels if I still could!!!

I appreciate y'all keeping me out of the looney bin/ground Grin Grin
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 2nd, 2006, 8:37am »

Cynthia - Please keep us posted as to how it's going.

Bill
IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 2nd, 2006, 3:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I would save itfor an emergency. i.e back into cycle.

Doesn't sound like you need it right now.

And please learn to do cartwheels and post pics.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 2nd, 2006, 4:14pm »

Quote:
I've put the instructions in the bottle, the bottle in the cabinet.

I suggest putting it in a small paper bag in the back of the fridge.  That way it'll keep a little longer.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
johnd7
New Board Newbie

« Reply #7 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 1:11am »

Is Verap and Prednisone ok to take at same time?  I got my Dr. to give me Verap this time because I was looking for something other than Prednisone again.

I am on my third day of Verap but not sure it is helping, other than my headaches are back to be predictable again and are of less intensity than they were before my shroom hit last weekend.  Although they are still a little different than normal.  Now I am getting one at 11pm, 3am, 7:30am.  02 is knocking them all out within 15 minutes though.
IP Logged

Be not angry that you cannot make others as you wish them to be, since you cannot make yourself as you wish to be.
-Thomas a Kempis
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:24am »

Cyn - Pred. is high on the list of drugs with potentially serious side effects but it does help with the treatment of CH.  Save the Pred for a time when you believe it has become necessary.  Make sure that you  discuss this with your Doc. so that she/he is aware of how you are utilizing meds.  I hate using Pred. but have to use it as a last resort once or twice each year when this nightmare gets out of hand.  

johnd7 - It's best to research and discuss potential drug interactions with a pharmacist and your Doc.  I have used both concurrently without problems and have not found reference to indicate that they can't be used together.  However do your homework and talk with professionals until you are comfortable - you may discover something that I have missed.  

Regarding Verapamil effectiveness - it takes 7 to 10 days to establish stable blood levels and see if you will benefit.  Give it a little more time - it has been helpful for me but everyone seems to be different.

Tom  

IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:53am »

on Dec 2nd, 2006, 4:14pm, Redd715 wrote:

I suggest putting it in a small paper bag in the back of the fridge.  That way it'll keep a little longer.

Except there's one more added side effect - It'll taste like Tuesday's meatloaf when you take it.  Grin

Edited to add: Which is a HUGE improvement over the way prednisone normally tastes.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2006, 8:54am by Brew » IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 3rd, 2006, 9:01am »

on Dec 3rd, 2006, 1:11am, johnd7 wrote:
Is Verap and Prednisone ok to take at same time?  I got my Dr. to give me Verap this time because I was looking for something other than Prednisone again.

I am on my third day of Verap but not sure it is helping, other than my headaches are back to be predictable again and are of less intensity than they were before my shroom hit last weekend.  Although they are still a little different than normal.  Now I am getting one at 11pm, 3am, 7:30am.  02 is knocking them all out within 15 minutes though.  

John - Verapamil is usually considered to be a preventive, or prophylactic drug, while prednisone is considered to be a transient drug - you use it to bridge the gap until the preventive takes effect. Every time I've ever had to go back on the verapamil I've done about a 10-day taper of prednisone, which in my case works very well to knock the headaches out while the verapamil has a chance to build up to theraputic levels.

I was only on prednisone for an extended period (two months) once in my life. Never again.

Bill
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss