Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 11:52am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Liquid Oxygen?????? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Liquid Oxygen??????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Liquid Oxygen??????  (Read 406 times)
ClusterChris
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Damn Head!

Email

Liquid Oxygen??????
« on: May 9th, 2007, 1:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has or does anyone use liquid oxygen?? I was told by VitalAire that a portable tank would be useless because it will last me one attack, she said liquid oxygen would be a possibility because it lasts much longer. Just curious to know if there is any difference between the two as far as effectieness. It is however very expensive. Thanks in advance.
Chris
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: Liquid Oxygen??????
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2007, 1:25pm »

um...never heard of anyone using liquid o2, Chris.

The little E tanks will last for 3 headaches, but there are smaller ones than that that probably only would last for one.

How's it working for you?
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
swimchica623
New Board Veteran
USA 

Get hit.  Hit back harder.  That's life.

swimchica623

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2007, 2:05pm »

umm...wow.  From what I remember from chemistry it would have to be under an INCREDIBLE amount of pressure for o2 to take on a liquid form...such a high amount that I imagine it would be way too dangerous to use!  Or it would have to be really, really cold!  I don't think it would be possible to get any sort of flow out of that sort of pressurized tank without some sort of damage.  I remember doing chemistry problems using liquid o2...but some of these problems took on hypotheical situations so now that its been a few years I don't even know how humanly possible it is to even make a tank of liquid o2, let alone release it without hurting yourself.  The tanks we use are already under significant pressure...ever changed the regulator when there is still a little left in there or put it on wrong and heard it leak out?  Sounds like something is going to explode!  
A D tank lasts 20 minutes at 15L, by the way.
IP Logged
medic1852
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

This will only hurt for a little while!

medic1852  
Email

« Reply #3 on: May 9th, 2007, 2:09pm »

Not sure and dont qoute me. But isn't liquid Oxygen used in small condenser tanks that last longer than a regular tank their same size. By allowing a little to evaporate at a time. I could be very wrong and not sure I think I will google it.
Rodger
Found this on google.

Liquid Oxygen Systems
Liquid oxygen systems are designed for home use. By taking gaseous oxygen and chilling it down to about 300 degrees below zero, we are able to make oxygen into a liquid form. The advantage of the liquid form of oxygen is that you can store more than 800 times as much liquid oxygen in the same space as gaseous oxygen. These units work by gradually letting some of the liquid oxygen warm up, turn to gas, and be used as a gas flowing from the main or portable unit. No electricity is required for these systems to work. The base units weigh more than 100 pounds and must be filled at the home with special equipment. Liquid oxygen systems consist of two distinct pieces of equipment: One is simply a smaller version of the other. Since the liquid oxygen is so cold, the base unit in the home is really a very large insulated bottle (similar to a Thermos®). The portable unit is a small insulated bottle (similar to a Thermos®) that can be filled from the larger base unit. Usually, once a week a truck comes to the home to fill the base unit with liquid oxygen; then the user can use the oxygen at the liter flow prescribed by his or her physician. When the user needs to travel outside the home, he or she simply attaches the portable unit to the base unit to fill the portable with liquid oxygen. Portable units last two to three times longer than tanks and are about half the weight. A portable unit will weigh about 8 pounds when full and last about 8 hours at a flow of 2 liters per minute. Liquid oxygen systems are ideal for users who are out of the home frequently or for longer periods of time.  

Liquid Oxygen for home use half way down page.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2007, 2:13pm by medic1852 » IP Logged

Shoot Low Sherrif He's Riding a Sheltland Pony!

Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 9th, 2007, 2:11pm »

Question:  Would it be possible for humans to breathe liquid oxygen?
June Hagberg

Answer:  Liquid oxygen is very cold, more than 200 degrees below zero on the
centigrade scale.  At this temperature all of the desirable physical
properties of the lung would be nonfunctional.  To get an idea of how
the flexibility of the lung would change, place a carnation in some liquid
nitrogen or a super deep freeze.  Your question is interesting though
because it would be desirable to breath liquid instead of gas under
certain conditions.  Special liquids are being designed to carry dissolved
gaseous oxygen to the lung and to remove carbon dioxide.  Even fish are  
breathing dissolved oxygen, the water is much too warm for liquid oxygen.
Michael B Lomonaco
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: May 9th, 2007, 2:18pm »

I use liquid oxygen all the time. It is liquid in the tanks but gas when you breath it. Both carrie and Matt used it while they were here staying with me too.

If you have any questions about it I'll be happy to answer them or to find out answers from my o2 sppliers if I don't know

Hope it helps
Helen

PS I love it and wouldn't switch back!

edited to add:~ I have a portable until that holds 1025 litres of gas from approx 1 litre of liquid. I refill it from a big tank at my house which holds approx 40 litres of liquid and so over 40,000 litres of gas! I don't run out LOL The cylinder is replaced fortnightly so it makes a lot more sense for the delivery people.
« Last Edit: May 9th, 2007, 2:21pm by LeLimey » IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

ClusterChris
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Damn Head!

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 9th, 2007, 2:51pm »

cool! I think i will tell them to give me a small tank of the liquid! They did tell me they will have to send somebody out to test me and see if I am able to take it. Apparently it isn't for everyone.  I'll give it a shot.

Thank you for your replies!

Chris
IP Logged
swimchica623
New Board Veteran
USA 

Get hit.  Hit back harder.  That's life.

swimchica623

« Reply #7 on: May 9th, 2007, 3:28pm »

hey i was right about the cold and the pressure, i just didn't think it was possible!  this is why i don't do chemistry still.  Wink
IP Logged
ClusterChris
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Damn Head!

Email

« Reply #8 on: May 9th, 2007, 5:16pm »

I just spoke with them again and they did say i need to get a big tank and just keep filling the portable. They caN'T GET IT ALL TOGETHER FOR ME UNTILL NEXT THURSDAY SO I ORDERED 3 OF THE PORTABLE  TANKS FOR THE HELL OF IT they will be here tomorrow..  oops sorry for the caps, as you can see i have to look at the keyboard when i type lol.

Chris

IP Logged
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: May 9th, 2007, 5:42pm »

I know this is not what you's are talking about but our health food store said to put 10 drops of this liquid o2 in my water.
 Hmmmmmm! Did not work at all.

I have my tank of o2 and a Clustermasx and am stopping my hits anywhere from 3mins. to 15mins depending how quick I catch them.

Barry

IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

ClusterChris
New Board Old Timer
Canada 

Damn Head!

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 9th, 2007, 10:53pm »

Good to hear Barry! I'm pretty much the same way. I only use the trex now @ work and if I wake up with a bad one other than that it's been all o2. I even hit the o2 just before I go out someplace for a bout 5 minutes and it seems to keep the beast away for loger then normal even if i don't feel one coming on!  I think I'm addicted lol. I guess thats one addiction i dont have to be ashamed of!

Talk to ya later!
Chris
IP Logged
IndianaJohn
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Into the jaws of the Beast we ride!

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 21st, 2007, 1:18pm »

Just my 2cents, but I work with cryogenic liquids all the time.  Mostly liquid nitrogen and helium but occaisionally liquid oxygen (LO2).  You can get the stuff but there are severe fire hazards associated with liquid O2.  Something doused with LO2 can ignite much more easily than it would under normal conditions.  Usually a cryogenic tank is filled by a vendor and the liquid goes through an evaporator to turn the liquid to a gas and raise its temperature.  You would need the insulated cryogenic tank and an evaporator.  It seems that it could get pretty expensive.  So, if you want to use it, just be smart about it.

IJ
IP Logged

Did my brains fall out or is this headache over?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss