Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 8:20pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Combination meds »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Combination meds
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Combination meds  (Read 384 times)
Wartooth
New Board Newbie

Don't tell me its just a headache...

Combination meds
« on: Jun 7th, 2007, 12:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

Although I do not post much, I have been signed on to this site for a few years.  I normally do not post, but read most of your posts for suggestions.  Anyway, it has been 1.5 years since my last ep and they are back.  The 1.5 years is the longest I have ever gone.  My neurologist had me on imitrex stat dose which really does the trick for me.  However, he also combines it with 40mg of prednisone twice a day.  I hate taking the pred with all the bloating and restlessness, so I decided not take it when the onset begain three weeks ago.  The headaches started off slow with low pain as usual, but then started to ramp up.  I was getting approx 5-6 a day and going through the imitrex like water.  I decided to start taking the pred and they have slowed to 1-2 a day this past week since being back on.  It seems that the pred does not stop them completely, but sure seems to spread them out and lengthen the time between attacks.  It may be something for you to think about as somewhat preventative.  And, getting a scrip for 240 10mg pills is cheap and insurance has no problem covering it.  Anyone else found success with prednisone, aside for the usual side effects from taking a steroid?
IP Logged
Wartooth
New Board Newbie

Don't tell me its just a headache...

Re: Combination meds
« Reply #1 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 1:06pm »

Also, I wanted to mention amerge.  It seems to help at night.  Alslo, I take maxalt disolve 10mg tabs when I can bear a longer headache and take a rest from the imitrex.  My pharmacist goes nuts when I get refills on everything as he states they all do the same thing.  However, I use each med at different times and depends upon whether I have to slow down on taking the imitrex.  BTW, another helpful hint for those that are only allotted 8 injections per refill.  Have your doctor write out the prescription for 8 "boxes"  The pharmacy still turns it into your insurance as 8, even though you will get now get 16 injections (two per box).  Its been working for me...
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #2 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 3:07pm »

Most episodics would be familiar with prednisone, taken at the start of a cycle in a descending taper over 10-14 days only while a preventative is worked up to an effective level, which cuts down the number of hits or even eliminates them if the preventative works very well.  Oxygen then is an excellent abortive also for much less trex use.  
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 7:45pm »

Prednisone should not be taken haphazardly!!!!!!!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #4 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 2:55pm »

You really should NOT mix different the different triptans (trex, amerge, maxalt) within 24 hours of each other!!! it could be life threatening.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss