Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 3rd, 2024, 2:26pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « New diagnosis/ medication »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   New diagnosis/ medication
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New diagnosis/ medication  (Read 530 times)
Coz
New Board Newbie
England 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

New diagnosis/ medication
« on: Jun 6th, 2007, 4:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone on this forum. I live in the UK and was recently diagnosed by the wonderful staff at Kings college Hospital in London as a clusterhead. They have given me every test going to make sure that my Horners' Syndrome isn'r caused by anything really nasty and it's alsmost a relief to know that my headaches are just(I know they are bad) cluster headaches. I have been prescribed Indomethacin for when I have a bad attack but as they episode is fading, after3 months, I haven't had chance to test there effecacy. Basically has anyone had these and do they work or should I press for other pain relief.  Thanks for a great site.

Andy
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: New diagnosis/ medication
« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 5:56pm »

I am not familiar with that medication. I would strongly encourage you to read up on the oxygen link on the left, and look into getting it prescribed. It is my first line defense when i go on cycle. It must be started at the first hint of a headache, at a high flow rate using a non re breather mask. For me it will abort a headache in 6-8 minutes with none of the nasty side effects so many of the other meds have!

Happy to hear the cycle is winding down. Keep your guard up, he has a nasty habit of letting you get relaxed and confident then sneaking up and slamming you!!

Welcome to the board, it'll come to be your second home!!!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 8:20pm »

Indomethacin will not do anything for your attacks.

Please check out OUCH UK as they will guide you to proper treatment.

In the UK it is known that Imigran and Oxygen are first line abortive medications and verapamil is a first line preventative.

Be armed for your next round and become your best advocate

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
LindsayLoo
New Board Veteran
USA 

TwoTidbetts
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 8:30pm »

on Jun 6th, 2007, 4:58pm, Coz wrote:
I have been prescribed Indomethacin

Andy, Hi!

I am currently on Indocin (aka indomethacin), a NSAID, 25mg 3x's a day as needed.  Personally, I am VERY new to CH's (only had em everyday and building since May14th) but I don't think the Indocin does a damn thing. it should be built up in my system since it is not a new drug for me, it's just new for the CH's. I was originally put on it about 6 months ago for osteoarthritis in my wrist and it didn't do a damn thing for that either. Everyone is different though, hopefully they work for you.

Indomethacin is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that reduces fever, pain and inflammation. It is similar to ibuprofen (Motrin) and naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve).
IP Logged

“The pain of the mind is worse than the pain of the body” -Publilius Syrus
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 10:26pm »

It is also a medication that is very helpful with a few other HA types.

One Cluster like headache, Paroxysmal Hemicrania is extremely responsive to Indocin(indomethacin)

The one thing that you do have to watch out for is the dreaded "Rebound" Headache/ Analgesic Rebound/ Medicinal Overuse Headache.

This is a bitch!!!!!!!!! To be honest, it is bonecrushing and very severe but again it is quite different to CH.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works!

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 10:52am »

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

http://www.brightok.net/~mnjday/chtherapy.pdf  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Coz
New Board Newbie
England 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 12:32pm »

Thanks to everyone who had written so far. It doesn't look too good on the effectiveness of Indomethacin but luckily so far I haven't had to test it yet (touch wood).  I haven't had a headache for a couple of weeks now but I still have the miosis (is that how it's spelt?) in my eye. Will that go? And if it does will that mean my episode has passed and I can stop being wary everytime I get a twinge of pain in my head?  Oh and does anyone in the Uk know how to get oxygen prescribed. I know that when I am having a bad headache I feel like gulping air as much as I can and often go outside and breath deeply so I imagine oxygen might work for me.
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2007, 12:34pm by Coz » IP Logged
UN solved

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 2:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I was told by a doctor that if Indomethacin doesn't work rather quickly ( he told me 6 days ) then it's not going to help. It's no good for CH.

I took this daily as a preventative, not as an abortive. It didn't help me at all ... but worth the try. I had no side effects from using it.

Goodluck

UNsolved
IP Logged
GrandPotentate
New Board Veteran
USA 

mmmmmmmmmm

« Reply #8 on: Jun 8th, 2007, 7:09pm »

I had indomethacin prescribed by a neuro who thought I had migraines.  It didn't do me any good, but maybe it works for some folks.

Brisk walking helps - seems to knock off the peak.  Fortunately, my cycle comes with the first warm days of spring.  I've gotten to see a lot of my neighborhood and lost a few pounds (or a fraction of a stone).

O2 was a delight for me - seems to reduce both intnsity and duration.
IP Logged

Jon
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss