Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 1:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Exercise..Cardio or Weights?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Exercise..Cardio or Weights??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Exercise..Cardio or Weights??  (Read 456 times)
annar
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

platanoanna  
Email

Exercise..Cardio or Weights??
« on: Nov 8th, 2007, 7:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I usually prefer to work out with weights  but have been avoiding them since I have been in my cycle.  I tried a couple of times.  Later that night, when i got hit pretty hard, I, of course, blamed it on the weights, but it could have been anything.  

I've done the cardio thing in the day too and have been hit at night.

So....Question.   What is everyones experience with exercise?   Specifically weights versus cardio.  

Generally, I would think that cardio would be a great way to keep the body in shape and lessen the hits.  And I would think the weights might possibly strain the body , especially the neck area.  I would really lik to get out there and relieve some stress with the weights.  Any advice?

Reg Wink
IP Logged

Supporter of a CH-er for 5 years
annar
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

platanoanna  
Email

Re: Exercise..Cardio or Weights??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 8th, 2007, 8:15pm »

I hope this question doesn't seem off topic.  Exercise is an important part of this equation (keeping the hits off).  I believe it can and does help but am just hesitant with the weights.  I do know that more muscle burns more fat which in turn will keep the metabolism higher.  You'll be burning more calories throughout the day.  You'll feel better, be less stressed etc.
IP Logged

billyjoe
New Board Veteran
USA 

Go Red Sox!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 8th, 2007, 9:08pm »

I can't tell any difference as a preventative.  However, during a hit or shadows, cardio helps me a lot!
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 12:08pm »

Staying in shape when I'm in cycle just doesn't work.  Whenever I workout I get hit later on.  That doesn't stop me though.

For the last 14 months I've been practicing Yoga instead of cardio or weights which used to be my routine exercise.  Anyway, some of the classes are heated - 90-100 degress F.  I can't take these classes at all when I'm in cycle or I get hit bad right then and there.

With my cycle ending now I'm hoping to get back to the heated classes again.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
slacker032
New Board Junior

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 2:44pm »

I usually lay off the weights when I'm in cycle since the neck strain does seem to be a trigger for me.  I should be doing more cardio though.
IP Logged

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. - Bob Marley
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 3:46pm »

I'm going to guess that your question takes us back to earlier discussions about how an increase in body temperature may trigger an attack.  

A medical report confirms this is not uncommon and several of us have reported experience of exercise or working on a hot day in the yard, etc. lead to an attack.

So, the form of exercise may not be the trigger but activity which increase body temp.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
annar
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

platanoanna  
Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10th, 2007, 12:25am »

Thanks for the responses.  

I have noticed that when i hit the weights and do some heavy cardio i usually get heavier and more hits at night, so they are most likely not a preventative.  It's always hard to tell when I'm in the middle of a cycle.  That's why I asked.  I was hoping that at least doing cardio could be a preventative.

I know cardio can be helpful during a hit but  I have yet to try it.

For know I will stick to walking my dogs everyday for 2 miles.  It doesn't get me too worked up and I feel like I'm getting some exercise.
IP Logged

vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10th, 2007, 6:48pm »

I vote cardio.

be careful, but you can channel your healthy energies into workouts.

I think it makes it easier to survive an episode.
I'll let you know when I'm done as to how well it actually went, but I think it's the way to go.
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
annar
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

platanoanna  
Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 12:05pm »

Thanks.  Ive decided to lay off the weights until the cycle is over.  I haven't been working out and have been hit once nightly.  O2 has taking care of all the hits.  As long as I can keep away from the Imitrex, im OK.
reg
IP Logged

Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #9 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 5:06pm »

Recommend cardio as rules to live by.

For the first time in ages I'm half marathon fit and for the first time in ages haven't had an Autumn hit - tho' clusterbusters might have more to do with that.

Mind you last time I was getting hit I started using the O2 cylinder to exercise the side getting hit.  Somehow that combined with thought of getting the blood flow livened up and away from the head helped a lot, certainly took the mind off things.
IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
CostaRicaKris
New Board Veteran
USA 

Currently training for AFC half Marathon

CostaRicaKris  
Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 9:25pm »

I usually run 20-25 miles a week and lift three times a week. I haven't noticed lifting affecting my CH, but running will make shadows go away - it will also trigger a hit depending on where I am in a cycle. But I'm such an exercise junkie I try to stick to my schedule as much as I can despite the HA. It's usually the sleepless nights that cause me to miss a workout or two.

IP Logged

Visit my website: http://www.active.com/donate/amnhealthcare/KristinaMorris to learn more about Girls on the Run, a non-profit prevention program that encourages preteen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #11 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 10:02pm »

Cardio is a pretty consistent trigger for me. When I say "trigger" I'm meaning that I do the cardio (running for me) and I get hit after 45 minutes of it. I probably wouldn't even draw the line between the two if I got hit that night. Personally I can't stop running during cycle but it does affect my training some. It's tough to motivate when you know the odds are pretty good you're going to get hit afterwards. But, I can get through a hit with O2 most of the time in a few minutes. But, I can't shake the overall crappy feel of letting my conditioning go....

Scott

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
constant_pain
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 4:41pm »

wow how bout that.

i've found excercise to be a cause and remedy of my headaches.

much like some have described i get hit after i run or excert myself around 20-40min after.

weird part is if i have a headache running or being active helps get rid of it.  

odd stuff...
IP Logged
swimchica623
New Board Veteran
USA 

Get hit.  Hit back harder.  That's life.

swimchica623

« Reply #13 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 10:59am »

As far as staying in good shape when you are feeling fine, any trainer will tell you that you should have a mix of cardio and lifting...each affects your body differently so you need to do both to reduce body fat and build muscle.
As far as which triggers more, I think for me thats tough to say because the time of day determines that for me...I swim competitively and so we would always lift really early in the morning when it was still night time practically and I think I was still in that night prone to getting hit time.  I got hit a few times during our lift time or right after, but some times I would get hit right before too..so I think it may have been more the time.  But since I swim, my body was also warmer during this exercise than it nomrally was, and the strian was differnet, so according to the answers here maybe the lifting did have something to do with it, not just the crazy early hours of the morning.  We did have early morning swims too and I didn't have the same pattern with hits then.  
As far as swimming goes, I have never gotten hit while swimming, but hits seem to come after swimming when I wasn't swimming as consistantly during an off time.  We go for long walks too and I've actually gotten a few shadows during the walks.
I think body temperature during your workout can affect hits...maybe try swimming? Wink My body stays cooler so I think that's why I'm okay.  I've also noticed that when I get really hot during a workout I don't have a hit or even a shadow but I notice weird feelings around my eye that gets hit.  I wonder if thats from a little o2 deprivation too maybe.  
Guiseppi didn't say this (unless I skimmd over it) but we've talked before about how he's never gotten hit while surfing...I do a lot of open water swimming and that makes my mom nervous when I'm going through a period when I get lots of hits (I'm chronic) and that calms her down....so far I've been fine in the ocean!  
Sorry this is a little long and disjointed...my mind's on vacation for Thanksgiving!!  
Lisa
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss