Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 26th, 2024, 8:33pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « accupuncture »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   accupuncture
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: accupuncture  (Read 3046 times)
inyoureye
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

Thank you to the site owners/creators

fvrustyhooks
WWW Email

accupuncture
« on: Nov 9th, 2007, 8:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

any one tried it?
IP Logged

Whether you think you can
or think you can't,.......
you're probably right.
jackieg
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: accupuncture
« Reply #1 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 8:28am »

Yup.  Made it worse.  Never again!
IP Logged
annar
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

platanoanna  
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 6:41pm »

any other advice on this one?  I was going to make an appointment for sometime in the next two weeks? Huh
IP Logged

Supporter of a CH-er for 5 years
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 7:29pm »

Money spent.....no results.
thebb Grin
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
rolo65

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 8:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Nov 9th, 2007, 8:03am, inyoureye wrote:
any one tried it?

And you’re afraid to stick yourself with a insulin needle? Grin

Save you're money, accupuncture did nothing for me. Wink
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2007, 8:21pm by rolo65 » IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 8:48pm »

103 posts and you haven't read where it has been said over and over and over again that it has not ever worked for CH????   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
inyoureye
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

Thank you to the site owners/creators

fvrustyhooks
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 9th, 2007, 9:32pm »

on Nov 9th, 2007, 8:48pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

103 posts and you haven't read where it has been said over and over and over again that it has not ever worked for CH????   Roll Eyes

Geez, sorry  
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2007, 9:33pm by inyoureye » IP Logged

Whether you think you can
or think you can't,.......
you're probably right.
slacker032
New Board Junior

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10th, 2007, 2:35pm »

Made my cycle worse as well.
IP Logged

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain. - Bob Marley
Jill
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
Sweden 

"Life is a series of goodbyes and hellos" Billy J.

Worldshots2003   FarmerGJill
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11th, 2007, 3:51am »

Hey..

I have only heard of a select few that have had any good results from acupuncture and even then, it was not long term. I have tried it and each time, it triggered a massive, long, intense hit and, yes, I tried it more than once. Roll Eyes

And don't apologize for asking a question - you have no need to. I have been chronic for five years and I still do not know everything, no one does. Ask any question and someone will always be here to answer it or put you in the right direction.Wink

Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Jill
IP Logged

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
black

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11th, 2007, 9:41am »

i went 2 times.each time includes 15 sessions.the first time i thought it helped me a little bit.the pain in the eyebrown was tolerable.less tears even though the eye still red and i could breath easier from right nose strill.the second time nothing worked.it was pointless so i skipped the last two sessions.i really cant advise u what to do.it might give u some relief but in my case i cant say if it was this that helped even a little bit or another trick from the demon
IP Logged
mike
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 12:19pm »

I WAS a CH sufferer for 9 years.  Often using up to 7 imitrex injections a day, even with the use of verapamil.  The last CH I suffered from was the hour before having accupuncture, which was 5 months ago.  PLEASE TRY IT.  If you have tried it with no results I suggest trying a different accupuncturist.   I'm curious about the methods all you nay sayers recieved.  Can you tell me more about your treatment (needle placement, technique, length of time) 
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2007, 12:22pm by mike » IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 12:57pm »

Well Mike you'll be the first to have posted that degree of success with accupuncture. The other hundred plus posters received no benefit. I know there's a lot I don't know about accupuncture, pressure points and relaxation techniques, but I won't use accupuncture for a compound fracture and I won't use it for a defective hypothalumus. Neither makes much sense to me.

That being said, I hope (if you really had CH) that your remission lasts forever. These things suck. But be on guard, being the cynical pessimist I am, I'm afraid I believe your remission was typical CH morphing and NOT a result of the needles. Please stay up on the current meds and treatment options so you'll be ready if he decides to come back.  

Wishing you pain free peace...

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
mike
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 1:10pm »

Do you really suffer from CH?  If so, you should understand that there really is no mistaking it for something else.  Of the 9 years, only 4 of them was there a remission peroid, always landing between November and March.  It would be quite the coincidence that in May (start of my typical cycle) they went away.  I'm only trying to help others the way I have been helped.  Instead of being so "cynical", as you put it, why don't you give me details about your treatment like I asked (or have you not recieved acupuncture?).  I would hate to hear of someone NOT trying it because of your disbelief.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #13 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 1:12pm »

on Nov 13th, 2007, 12:19pm, mike wrote:
I WAS a CH sufferer for 9 years.  Often using up to 7 imitrex injections a day, even with the use of verapamil.  The last CH I suffered from was the hour before having accupuncture, which was 5 months ago.  PLEASE TRY IT.  If you have tried it with no results I suggest trying a different accupuncturist.   I'm curious about the methods all you nay sayers recieved.  Can you tell me more about your treatment (needle placement, technique, length of time) 

Mike,

Welcome to the site. It isn't the first time that someone on their first post has claimed to be cured - albeit from a method that has rarely everbeen cited as having had any success in the past.

As for the naysayers... You will have to excuse us, we actually do have the interest of sufferers in mind. Spend enough time here and you will see that there a lot of alternative treatments tried -- most of them unsuccessfully - thereby wasting a sufferer's time and potentially forcing that sufferer to ignore methods that have a broader level of success.  There are a lot that are successful, and the great thing is that they stand up to scrutiny.

For example - Kudzu. Who'd a thunk it? But several people tried it and success was duplicated repeatedly. Not always for everyone but enough that it makes it a viable alternative for some. Another example, Energy Drinks. Who'd a thunk it? But, several people tried them and some got results. More examples abound...seeds...shrooms....

But, never has acupuncture stood up to the scrutiny of having repeated success. The example cited in this thread was from a guy who it took 5 years to get the "method" to work. Knowing what many of us know about CH, 5 years is too long and CH changes on its own over a 5 year period. If it worked for you after once, wow! that's amazing. But for the many others who have tried it, including a practitioner on this thread, no one claims it works.

So, sorry, hope your PF times continue.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
black

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 1:16pm »

as far as i can remember the accupuncturist put on me about 7 needles.one at the top of the head.another above the ear.one at the center of the forehead,one at hand at the base of the thumb.one over the upper lip and towards the right side of the head.another down from the right eye(ch on right side) and towards the nose and the last one  between eye and ear(not familar with the word).i lied down about 25 minutes and then puled them off.the second way was  about the same with the difference that the needles where attached to an electrical battery.
could u be more specific?were u 9 years chronic or episodic?what was ur treatment with accupuncture?did u have any side effects when u took 7 injection in 24 hours?in a few words u became free so tell us more
IP Logged
mike
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 1:43pm »

My firts 3 treatments included electrical stimulation in two points on the top of my head along with 4 additional needles, 2 in my neck on the CH side, and two more on the side of my head near my ear, also CH side.  Then he gently twisted them for stimulation, this only lasted about 20-30 seconds per needle.  I was in and out in about 10 mins max.  

He also had a chart showing the different points, and was able to tell me there was watering of the eye, and runny nose without my saying so.  Pretty good guess work... I doubt it!
IP Logged
black

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 1:51pm »

3 treatments?u mean 3 sessions?what about the rest?
IP Logged
mike
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 2:17pm »

Sorry about that.  The first 3 sessions were 2 needles in the neck, and 2 in the side of my head, both on the CH side.  In addition to that, he put 2 needles in the top of my head that were electrically stimulated, slowly increasing the level of electricity until I said stop.

There were 3 more sessions to follow, they were the same but he didn't use the electrical needles.  Again, there was no waiting in any of the sessions. All he did was "twist" each of the 4 needles in my neck and head to stimulate the muscles in that area for about 20-30 seconds each.  This he told me is the eastern way of doing it, which he thought to be more effective.  

As for the 7 needles a day, I wouldn't recomend it.  I found it tiring and hard on the heart - it restricts blood flow , that's not good!
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2007, 2:22pm by mike » IP Logged
black

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 2:48pm »

i really hope mike this is ur solution and not another remission period.either way u are free from pain.hope it keeps that way
IP Logged
mike
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 3:01pm »

There is no doubt that acupuncture cured me.  I could litterally feel the tension go away as he "twisted" the needles (although it hurt like hell for a few seconds).  You have nothing to lose by looking into it further.  It sounds as though the person that treated you stuck needles everywhere but where they were needed.

The way I see it is there is cause and effect in everything.  All the medication in the world will only treat the symptoms, not the cause of the problem.  I wish you luck in finding your cause!
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 3:06pm »

I certainly wasn't looking for a brawl. I don not have the gift of eloquence others possess, Boomer did a far better job of saying what I was trying to say. We work on a percentage basis here. With over a hundred posts on accupuncture, (using numbers provided by someone else I didn't do the search on this but that sounded about right), you are the only one to have had significant relief. I understand your fear that others would view my cynicism as a reason to not try something that would prove effective.

My fear is they won't try the high percentage routes first. If accupuncture  continues to work for you it'd be foolish to abandon it. I cling to my lithium and oxygen like a 2 year old and his teddy bear. I'll keep sqeezing the stuffing out of it as long as it continues to work.  

Sincerely wishing you many more years of pain free time.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
black

Email

« Reply #21 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 4:01pm »

sorry mike but how did u jump right now at the conclusion that with accupuncture u found the cause of the problem??????what my accupucturist told me was that he tried to ease the trigeminal nerve.he never promised any cure.just relief and in case that happened i had to repeat it twice a year every 6 months.he was honest i can tell.u found the cure with 5 sessions?????as for medications cant treat the cause yet.and after this i really nedd to ask u.what makes u think its not a remission period but surely a cure??pls be specific
IP Logged
mike
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 10:08pm »

Black,

After 9 years of them, there was never a year I didn't have them in May (the month I first tried acupuncture).  If I'm not mistaken I had 3 that day already, maybe 4, before going to see the acupuncturist.  I think the odds of going into remission at that point are astronomical given my history with CH.    

As for the cure, maybe that was a bad choice of words.  I suppose my way of looking at it is this.  If you break your leg you can either get a cast to heal it, or take enough drugs to kill the pain.  That doesn't mean that you can't break your leg again though.  For me, the acupuncture was the cast.

I am curious though, what signs (if any) do you get when a headache is first coming on.
IP Logged
atcevik
New Board Newbie
Turkey 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 5:25am »

2 years ago, the attacks started, it was nothing like I knew and seemed like nothing nobody knew. I was going crazy, I thought of nothing but just felt the fear of the ache coming back.  

I went to a doctor and he told me the medicine required to ease the pain, which were mostly related to blood pressure and I didnt want to take these, even the inhaler, as I thought and still think that these medicine will be a sacrifice of health, and will be encountering different problems after some time, if I used them.

I then started to have acupuncture sessions. The first session was during an attack, although I didnt think it would be useful, even the pain from the needless was distracting the headache, so it was not a problem. After this session, the ache just went. Maybe attack was just expired, or maybe was the needles. Anyway, I went on with acupuncure, as I had nothing more to do. After a few sessions, the ache started to lose its strength and faded after some time. After two years, previous month the attacks started again. The first one was very strong, and the second day I started to have the acupuncture sessions again. And I continued on having the sessions.  

I have been having this ache for 5 weeks now. But it is nothing like the one that occured 2 years ago. The strength is weak, I can even wait for the pain to pass sitting on my desk at the office, I can bear it, I can attend meetings during the ache, and yes it is cluster for sure.  

What I think is acupuncture helped me very much, the attacks didnt go away, but were really weak comparing to my previous experience. During 5 weeks, I only woke up once, though on my previous attack period, I do not remember sleeping at all.

So, please, please give it a chance. It worked for me.  
Do not expect immediate results after one session. You should experience a few sessions before seeing any effect.  You must be careful choosing about the practitioner, it would be good to find someone specialized on migraine headaches if not cluster headaches because acupuncture practice is not an easy to learn practice, someone specialized on losing weight may not be the one that knows the real mechanisms.

Please try it.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #24 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 6:31am »

okay that's three. two of the three making us aware of this on their first post.

scott
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2007, 6:32am by seasonalboomer » IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss