Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 10:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Caffeine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Caffeine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Caffeine  (Read 1007 times)
paulyboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Caffeine
« on: Nov 15th, 2007, 6:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Is Caffeine (Monster, drinks with taurine and other green tea juicers) a solution?  Does it work for anyone?

Also, I may be the first person ever given imipramine (an antidepressant) for CH.  Has anyone ever used it before?
IP Logged
midwestbeth
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Caffeine
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 6:17pm »

Hi Paul,

To answer your question about the energy drinks.
Many of us, myself included, have had hits aborted by chugging an energy drink at the first twinge.  Some hits are aborted, some aren't.  The only thing you can do is keep on fighting the beast in your head with whatever you got.

Do you have 02?  Read the oxygen link to the left.  Many of us have had great success with 02.

Beth
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2007, 6:18pm by midwestbeth » IP Logged

Do more than exist - live
Do more than touch - feel
Do more than look - observe
Do more than read - absorb
Do more than hear - listen
Do more than listen - understand
~ John Rhodes
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 6:51pm »

Welcome!!

Yup... what Beth said!  Grin  I, too, use energy drinks with Taurine and cafeine in them to abort CH. They seem to work great for me, and a LOT of others here. Drink it down quickly at the first sign of a headache for best results.
   I've heard of antidepressant use in treating migraines, but personally am not familiar with it's use in treating CH. More common preventatives are Verapamil, Topomax, and Lithuim, to name a few.
   Oxygen is probably the best weapon we have against individual cluster headaches. Used at the first sign of an attack, it can usually abort the headache within 10 minutes or so. But it must be used right!

Hope this helps some!

Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
paulyboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15th, 2007, 11:39pm »

You kidding me?  An excuse to drink real coffee?  I think the reason I got the darn headaches was cause I stopped 2 years ago...

I shall.. reluctantly.. stumble back to the caffeine fold.  

Funny story, I initially thought the headaches were a caffeine withdrawl headache, so I stalwartly (word?) fought to reduce my intake so I could move on.  After 3 more days of hell, I realized they werent going away.  sigh...

laugh more coffee, less booze.  Thats what the cycles about.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16th, 2007, 11:04am »

Paul,
welcome! Smiley

Now, I won't touch coffee, but energy drinks and caffeine tablets are my friends in the fight againts ch. After taking lots of meds and got loads of side effects I gave all those up and use solely energy drinks and caffeine tabs to get rid of hits.

Wishing you lots of PF days,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

paulyboy
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16th, 2007, 11:12pm »

wow?  And thats reliable for you?  amazing...  do you use O2 at all?  At this point, the caffeine seems to delay it a couple of hours.  but maybe I need to drink four drinks a day?  just kidding...
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17th, 2007, 10:51am »

I'd try 02, but the last neuro I went to didn't believe in the power of 02 what comes to ch... Roll Eyes So far, energy drinks and caffeine tabs have been my best options. They have failed me only when I didn't get to them fast enough. Besides, energy drinks get rid of ch faster than the best painkiller neuros have given me. Grin

BUT we all are different. What works for one, can help someone else, but what works for you the best... that's what you need to find out yourself. Smiley And I am concinced that there is a good treatment for each of us.  

PF days,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

schaan
New Board Veteran
USA 

My Headache Blows your Migrane Away!! :(

9923395 9923395   schaanman   schaanman
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 8:15pm »

strong strong coffee  has been a godsend to me the last few years since i wasnt sure what i had or was causing this,  someone reccommended coffee for headaches in general a few years ago and i just double brewed about 20oz  and would slam it and tylenol  and that would often abort or lessen my attack within an hour.

not always but usually.

now that i know what i have and have been prescribed other meds  such as lithium and verapamil ( just started that today)  and ergotamine , i use those,  since almost all my attacks occur at bedtime or right after  it makes it difficult to sleep with that much caffiene,  but i do it anyway.

it works for me................
\
IP Logged

this place gives me hope when i had none.
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 11:36pm »

melatonin works for alot of us at bedtime. I take 12-15 mg a night-and it doesn't matter how many energy drinks I've chugged that day, I still fall asleep.

PFDSN y'all
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
schaan
New Board Veteran
USA 

My Headache Blows your Migrane Away!! :(

9923395 9923395   schaanman   schaanman
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21st, 2007, 11:53pm »

fotgot that one
i take 6mg
do you have lethargy the next day taking 12-15?
IP Logged

this place gives me hope when i had none.
swimchica623
New Board Veteran
USA 

Get hit.  Hit back harder.  That's life.

swimchica623

« Reply #10 on: Nov 22nd, 2007, 6:25pm »

yup....i keep red bulls around for when o2 isn't convinient enough.  so its my second choice, just cuz i dont want to be chugging caffiene all the time, o2 works better and caffiene doesnt seem to work that well for anything above about a 7 or an 8.  I've used red bull and o2 together for really stubborn ones, rare ones that don't respond to o2 (works about 90-95% of the time for me) and when I'm home using the red bull I like to pour it in a cup with a bunch of ice, it tastes better when it is really really cold like that and it is easier to drink like that, I don't particularly like the taste.  I think the extra coldness might make it more effective, too.  

I've also noticed that when I'm really getting slammed that I tend to crave caffeine more than during lighter times.  Maybe because I'm consuming it more or maybe there is something to that, who knows.  CHers seem to be real coffee addicts though!  

Good luck, hope it works for you!  

Lisa
IP Logged
justthe2ofus
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 9:13am »

Gotta have my E. Drinks and Coffee...Everyday, all through out the day. The drinks helped to abort MANY ha's at the beginning of my cycle, but not so much now, during the worst part. I still use them to back off the daily shadows. Coffee is just a bonus for me, lol, I gotta have it loaded with sugar and creamer. Wink
IP Logged
MvT
New Board Veteran
Canada 

Computer Technician

« Reply #12 on: Dec 24th, 2007, 12:44am »

they work some of the time or at least help and try taking kudzu right after  Wink

Bawls Sobe Arush or rockstar
IP Logged

tigerman
New Board Newbie
USA 

WDE Anybody but#48

« Reply #13 on: Dec 24th, 2007, 7:55pm »

my doc gave me Amitriptyline(antidepressant,anti anxiety)&helps you sleep better.gave me prednisone to stop the cycle.My CHs have stopped,maybe my cycle was about to end?
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Dec 28th, 2007, 10:24am »

Imipramine and amitryptline (both tricyclic antidepressants) offer some protection against clusters and migraines. They are generally not the first choice for preventing, but they do help some people.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Dec 29th, 2007, 1:25am »

on Nov 15th, 2007, 6:06pm, paulyboy wrote:
Is Caffeine (Monster, drinks with taurine and other green tea juicers) a solution?  Does it work for anyone?

Also, I may be the first person ever given imipramine (an antidepressant) for CH.  Has anyone ever used it before?

Happy the imipramine helps your CH.

Imipramine and energy drinks doesnt sound like a combination I would want to try or even remotely reccomend.

I know very little about the drug. From what I did read, the combination has the potential to lead to devastating life events.  

Consult with your prescribing doctor before combining the two. (if your still with us)

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682389.html
IP Logged

MJ
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss