Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 10:04am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « CH, Dramamine, and Airplanes »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   CH, Dramamine, and Airplanes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CH, Dramamine, and Airplanes  (Read 570 times)
circus1031
New Board Newbie
USA 

HE Who Gets Headaches

CH, Dramamine, and Airplanes
« on: Dec 26th, 2007, 6:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everyone,

About 20 days into a cycle. I'm a bit worried about the flying I'll have to do tomorrow and next week. Drove 6 hours home for Christmas, got a terrible headache about an hour into the drive. Coming back today, the same thing, terrible headache one hour into the drive. Maybe the motion or speed triggered it? Anyway,

I have a three hour flight to Texas tomorrow and I'm worried about the movement, speed, pressured cabins, and recylced air. Something about all those things at once can't be a healthy thing for a CH sufferer. I'd hate to have a 6 or 7 up in the air.

I read a bit about dramamie treatment in lieu of melatonin for sleep. Thinking about trying it for the flight.  

Any ideas?
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: CH, Dramamine, and Airplanes
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 6:29pm »

I'm a big time fisherman who is very prone to sea sickness. I've used dramamine, the scolpamine patch, meclizyne, and dopemine, (not sure on spelling on all of those)...I've used them both in and out of cycle and have never noticed an effect positive or negative. (Except I didn't chum the ocean as much!!!)

They claim a side effect is they make you sleepy but I've never had that side effect from any of them. If you're looking for the sleepy effect I'd go with the melatonin, I've been using that lately strictly as a sleep aid, currently off cycle, and have had great results with regulating my sleep cycles.

Good luck!

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 9:55pm »

If it were me, I'd probably go the Benadryl route. 50-75 mg. It wears off in 4 hours.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2007, 4:05pm »

Hi,

Sorry I missed this earlier.  I've been spending a lot of time with the family in the last week  Wink

Check out this article I wrote on Frovatriptan for the December OUCH-US Newsletter: http://www.ouch-us.org/newsletters/2007/12-07/12-07.pdf

Then work with your Dr to see if it is appropriate for you.  It can be taken as a preventative 3 hours prior to when you expect to get slammed and can buy you 12-24 hours of pain free time to get where you are going.  

I always get slammed around an hour after landing.  I posted a thread on this topic some ago Helen suggested I look into Frovatriptan for traveling.  It is a welcome part of my arsenal now.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss