Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 11:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « expired imitrex »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   expired imitrex
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: expired imitrex  (Read 642 times)
stacy3675
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hey! Everybody

stacy3675  
Email

expired imitrex
« on: Nov 19th, 2007, 8:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

this has probably been asked but do you all take expired imitrex and what is your limit on expired i know we normally use it so fast this isnt a problem but if you happen to run into it then what?
IP Logged

StAcY SpRiNg
lashultz
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: expired imitrex
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 10:48am »

I remember taking to my Doctor about this. He said they should be good for a while after the experation date. I don't know what a while is though. I would check with your Doc.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 11:37am »

Expired merely means "perhaps not quite at full strength." I've heard of people here using Trex that was 3 years beyond expiration and it worked just fine.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
room217
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 9:44pm »

Good question.  I'd like to hear from other people using expired imitrex too.

Earlier this year I used 2 imitrex injections which we're a year expired (may 06).  The side effects seemed to feel a little different, a little fainter... but the end result was the same.  The headache was gone in 10-12 minutes.

I still have some of this same batch, and it looks like I'll be forced into trying some again as I'm having far more headaches than insurance will cover.  I'll keep you posted.

Should I keep them in the fridge? Do you?
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 10:01pm »

Yeah, they're good for a few years past expiration, kept in the temperature range between 35 and 85 degrees F.

All this year I've used expired March 2006 stock and each has been fine, and have used older.
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2007, 10:08pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 9:40am »

My own neuro gave me samples that had expired 2 years earlier (no she's not a quack) and it worked great for me at that time.
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
DannyV
New Board Junior
USA 

Save Deadwood

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 6:22pm »

I have lots of experience with this one. Personally I have never noticed any difference. I have some from over 2 yrs old and they work fine with no sides at all. That is just me.
IP Logged

My life is like water, swirrling down the drain.
Gonna get me a shotgun, and disconnect my brain.
stacy3675
New Board Newbie
USA 

Hey! Everybody

stacy3675  
Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 6:47pm »

i only put 1 in the fridge and it kinda looked funny so i didnt put any more in there.  thanks for the post i guess i will be ok.
IP Logged

StAcY SpRiNg
DrBB
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Nov 20th, 2007, 8:13pm »

Hi Stacy,

As you have heard, expiration dates on most medications are arbitrary, usually a year after dispensing, or three years after manufacture, though there are exceptions. As long as you store most tablets and capsules in a cool (room temperature), dry, place, or in an airtight container, most will last well beyond the expiration date--or as lashultz so aptly put it, "a while."  

However, if you have stored them, say, in a moist bathroom or an otherwise humid room, or if they are regularly exposed to sunlight (or even ambient light), the lifespan of the medications usually will be shortened "some" (whatever that is).

I have two suggestions if all this vagueness is making you uncomfortable. First, explain to your pharmacist how long you have had the prescription and how it has been stored, then ask what happens when it gets too old. That's because some meds just lose their kick, but a few break down into bad stuff.

Second (which I actually just thought of), you can do a Google search of www.clusterheadaches.com, using the little "Search " button in the upper left,next to the "Home" and "Email" buttons of something like 'expired' 'Imitrex' without the single quotes. That will get you to other threads like this one:
http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=medsarchive2 004;action=display;num=1102346147.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2007, 9:18pm by DrBB » IP Logged

DrBB

Folding@Home. Make a Difference
http://folding.stanford.edu/
justthe2ofus
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 11:30am »

I use expired Trex from my last cycle...Its almost a year past date, doesn't seem to be much of a difference. I don't get as much of a "flushed" feeling as I do from a fresh dose, but it seems to work the same (as quick, etc.).
IP Logged
Paul98

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 4:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I used some this year that went out in 03.  As long as it has been stored properly, isn't dark or CLOUDY it should be ok.  I have found that the potency is reduced a bit with the old stuff but not by much.

Best palce to store it is in the fridge.  I have stored the single dose vials in the freezer and made sure they were on their side during freeze down.  Mix well after thawing and don't refreeze.  Do not try to freeze the autoinject packe as they WILL crack.

-P.
IP Logged
justthe2ofus
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 4:21pm »

thanks for the freezing tip, I use the auto-inject... Wink
IP Logged
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

« Reply #12 on: Nov 30th, 2007, 8:52pm »

A former Army surgeon I know told me that the U.S. Army found that of their stockpiled medications, only nitroglycerine and (I think) amoxicillin actually lost effectiveness. None of the others did. So, folks, hold on to your "expired" medications. Chances are they're good for a long, long while.

IP Logged
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 1st, 2007, 9:19am »

I know this is not what you asked about originally, but here's my experience with Zomig for what it's worth:

I had stockpiled some Zomig nasal spray over the past four years -- a few of them expired on 10/2005 and the rest expired on 10/2006.   I have been using these during my current cycle.

My experience is that the ones that expired 10/2006 are working just fine -- for me they take effect within 10 minutes which is as good as ever.

However, the ones that expired 10/2005 have not been effective (or at least they are taking longer to work).    

All of these were stored in my bathroom closet in the original boxes.   Thanks for the tip on the refrigerator storage.  I'll do that from now on.

Joe
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2007, 9:19am by JoeS » IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #14 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 3:02am »

neuro told me to take em won't hurt ya just not as strong as when first made!!
IP Logged

chris
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss