Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 9:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax doesnt seem to be working for me »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax doesnt seem to be working for me
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax doesnt seem to be working for me  (Read 543 times)
Patrick_A
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If i could get my hands on that wascally Wabbit

Email

Topamax doesnt seem to be working for me
« on: Dec 7th, 2007, 9:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Been on the Topamax now for 7 days, I have tapered up to 100 mgs and have been on that much now for 3 days. I am still getting the CH's at their regularly scheduled times.
I am wondering if I should keep it up or if I should go ahead and switch to the Prednisone/Verapamil taper that worked before. I hated the Pred/Verap combo because of the side effects but I am to the point now that I cannot wait much longer for the Topamax to start working.
I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Pat
IP Logged

Do you think that when they asked George Washington for his ID, that he just whipped out a One Dollar Bill?
EstieSA
New Board Junior
South_Africa 

Re: Topamax doesnt seem to be working for me
« Reply #1 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 3:25am »

I started Topamax a couple of weeks ago together with a steroid taper.

Started with 50mg/day. Increased with 25mg every 5 days.

Yesterday I went up another 25mg as I'm still having a breakthrough every 4-5 days... Sad

200mg in total now , 50mg am , 50mg noon & 100mg evening.

I am only now experiencing some relief , so increase the dose/give it time is what I suggest.

BTW , I'm chronic and chuffed with the results so far...

IP Logged
Corinakitty
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2007, 4:15am »

My husband started on Topamax about a week ago, and so far it's not working for him either. His neurologist still hasn't set him up with O2 either. He has an appointment for an MRI next week, and if he doesn't DEMAND the O2, I may just call and do it for him.
IP Logged
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 8:36am »

Topamax kept me headache free for almost two years, and although I've had a  recent breakthrough, give it some time, I didn't get relief until I titrated up to 100mg 2x a day. One thing about it tho, it that it may not stop an episode, you may need to break an episode with a pred taper or by some other means, and then let the Topamax be preventative from there ------ you might consider doing the taper as well as the Topamax long term to keep the episodes away
IP Logged
thekidd37
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 11:25pm »

I know you've got lots of replies on this already, but i just wanted to give you my 2 cents.  Im a chronic suffer.  I've tired everything!  So it seems anyways.  Smiley  I would suggest staying on the topomax.  Its worked for me.  It hasen't stopped my headaches but given me a life back!  For years i had none.  8 headaches a day.  3+ hours pr attack.  I was done.  Locked and loaded.  Topamax really saved my life.  Though i need to increase my dosage it really helps.  

My best advise would be sure to take it at the same time everyday.  In the am and night.  Be religious about it!
IP Logged
ccbiggsoo7
New Board Veteran

« Reply #5 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 11:55pm »

topamax did nothing for me except make mine worse! Verapamil and lithobid combo is one of the best!
IP Logged

chris
debbie
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 9:16am »

my doctor said that it takes at least 6 weeks for topomax to begin to work.  but I'm interested in the possibility that topomax might be making me worse.  I've been on it for over 6 weeks now and I am getting worse.  I didn't even think I had cluster headaches and now I'm definately getting signs of cluster headaches and last night I had my first bilateral pain on the left side of my face.  that never happened before. the only med I'm on that could make my symptons worse is topomax.   does anyone else  have any imput on this.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss