Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 12:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Ambien vs melatonin »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Ambien vs melatonin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ambien vs melatonin  (Read 865 times)
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

Ambien vs melatonin
« on: Dec 21st, 2007, 9:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Any thoughts on using ambien to sleep thru night time hits vs the typical 9mgs of melatonin? Is there something about the mechanism of action of melatonin that makes it work better, or something about ambien that would make it bad for CH'ers?
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Ambien vs melatonin
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 9:27am »

Translation: melatonin works on the core, causal mechanisms of CH. Ambien won't hurt but I can't imagine it keeping you asleep thru an attack. It's only a mask for an attack, whereas melatonin, taking regularly is helping alter the source.
-------------
Cephalalgia. 2005 Jun;25(6):403-11. Links  

Melatonin, the pineal gland and their implications for headache disorders.

Peres M.

Brain Research Institute, Albert Einstein Hospital, Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Melatonin, the pineal gland and their implications for headache disorders. Cephalalgia 2005. London. ISSN 0333-1024There is now evidence that melatonin may have a role in the biological regulation of circadian rhythms, sleep, mood, and ageing. Altered melatonin levels in cluster headache and migraine have been documented. Melatonin mechanisms are related to headache pathophysiology in many ways, including its anti-inflammatory effect, toxic free radical scavenging, reduction of proinflammatory cytokine up-regulation, nitric oxide synthase activity and dopamine release inhibition, membrane stabilization, GABA and opioid analgesia potentiation, glutamate neurotoxicity protection, neurovascular regulation, serotonin modulation, and the similarity of chemical structure to that of indomethacin. Treatment of headache disorders with melatonin and other chronobiotic agents is promising. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial shows melatonin is effective in cluster headache prevention, other studies also show benefit in other disorders. Melatonin plays an important role in headache disorders, offering new avenues for studying their pathophysiology and treatment.

PMID: 15910564 [PubMed]
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 9:32am »

I've taken both and  I prefer the melatonin because I was able to adjust the dosing  better to suit my needs. Also when i was taking regular ambien I found that when it wore off I was wide awake in the middle of the night.
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #3 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 11:33am »

Long-term side affects of ambien are not good.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 11:45am »

There was talk of a study of ramelteon (Rozerem) versus Melatonin some time ago.  The last I heard, the study had been put on hold pending FDA approval and the development of protocols or something like that.

Even if Rozerem works better than melatonin, melatonin will likely continue to be a favorite because it is available OTC and is cheap.

IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 2:41pm »

A little off topic, but following Gator's opening...

Rozerem works by attaching to the serotonin receptors, thus mimicking the action of serotonin.  Melatonin breaks down in the body into serotonin, therefore making this neurotransmitter more available in the body.  I would think that it would work as an antidepressant and there seems to be ample evidence that it works to limit sleep time CH.

Insert usual disclaimer here about my not being a doctor and this is not medical advice -- seek information from an actual doctor who has their malpractice insurance paid up.

With Pain Free wishes to the bunch of you,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 7:52pm »

Bob's right, the point of melatonin isn't to take a sleeping pill, it's to provide the chemical signal that the malfunctioning hypothalmus on CH sufferers may not be providing that sets the body's sleep/wake clock.  My sleep doctor gave me Rozerum once, said something about it being more effective for insomnia, but I think its just a synthetic melatonin, and it worked no better for me at least.

Ambien, on the other hand, is a whole different story.  I had years of experience with insomnia and sleep docs, and they all told me that regardless of how well sleeping pills work for someone, they'll only be effective for about 6 to 8 weeks, then the body adjusts.  I tried 2 of them, and they workednfor about 5 weeks for me.  If Ambien helped someone with CH, their cycle would have to be shorter than that, and I wouldn't try it unless my neuro knew how it would interact with whatever else I was taking.

I'm a sleepwalker, and sleepwalking tends to happen when something is really agitating you or you're dealing with unresolved issues.  I've done and said some really nasty things to family members in my sleep, because your level of consciousness is like that of a drunk, and people tend to figure it out and start poking fun, which makes you very angry.  Sleeping pills can make people prone to sleepwalking who have never done it before, and I can just imagine a mild CH hit triggering an angry, pacing, dancing, half-conscious sleepwalking CH sufferer .  If you think your spouse has been freaked out by your hits before...
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 10:46pm »

It's not that I need the help sleeping per se, I just seem to get hit every night by a headache, and was trying to get through the night in one piece.

I tried the Ambien CR last night, pain woke me up thru the ambien, probably a kip 7/8, and I was still able to shoot a Zomig up the nose thru the mental fog. I'll do melatonin tonight and see what happens.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 11:26pm »

9-12 mg taken 30-40 min prior to attempting sleep is a magic bullet for many. In the beginning I was so groggy and had difficulty finding my tank but soon after I was sleeping through the night PF. I was able to go 1yr without any night time attacks. the day time attacks still ocurred but I was rested so i coped a hell of a lot better.

best of luck
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 8:53am »

Got hit about five minutes after I left my 10:46 message - did the Zomig, waited for the pain to clear, took 9mgs of melatonin, the ambien, all my other meds, slept until 8 - first clear night since last Friday. If I don't get a late CH tonight, I'll try without the ambien ---
IP Logged
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #10 on: Dec 22nd, 2007, 8:58am »

YAY FOR SLEEP!!!!!! Cheesy
« Last Edit: Dec 22nd, 2007, 8:58am by lionsound » IP Logged
suesue422
New Board Newbie
USA 

Wanna Be Headache Free

write4sue
Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 8:11pm »

I've found that Ambien CR works for me, but it must be CR (controlled release) - the regular Ambien does not work.  I'll admit I've never tried Melatonin, but I have tried Rozerem, and it didn't work for me.  I've been on Ambien CR for close to a year at this point, and it still works (although it's not as strong as it was initially - it used to feel like I was drunk, giddy).  I haven't had any side effects that I've realized, but I've heard it's not something to be on longterm.  I need to get through the next few months before looking to come off it though.  Just throwing my experience into the ring...
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss