Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 9:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « thanks »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   thanks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: thanks  (Read 557 times)
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

Johnny & Roy puzzle where to apply the O2 mask

thanks
« on: Dec 25th, 2007, 3:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Maybe it's because I eat too much Turkey at Thanksgiving that I don't get around to giving thanks until xmas. I don't know where I'd be without this site. Actually I do know -- encountering doc after doc, one alternative [health provider] after another , person after person who doesn't understand ch and say things like "Do you think it's stress?" I've decided hearing that phrase jacks up my stress more than anything.

I checked in last night to refresh my brain as to options to maybe get through one night without desperation. Started verapmil four days ago, 120 mg/day. Never had to take a prophylactic. But here I am, 55 and female, with the worst episode yet -- 4-5 a night, each one worse than the previous, and the oxygen having less and less benefit. And what the site reminded me about was melatonin. Took 6 mg regular melatonin and 3 mg of time release at bedtime, woke up this am pain free. There must be a Santa after all.

Thank you all for the information you share, and for validating my experience -- yes, women do have ch; they morph just when you think you have them licked and all of the sudden your routine stops working; most of all, there is no cure, and they're not my fault!!!!

Again, THANKS!!
IP Logged
RichardN
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

lastchantsranch   babbleontn
Email

Re: thanks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25th, 2007, 9:03pm »

Yo Ho Maryo and Merry Christmas

I got here 2/02 (having 6-8 attacks per day and sometimes 3-5 at night)  Verapamil and 02 were my salvation.  Verapamil is a taper drug and I didn't have my first PF day til I reached 240 mg (had three that night I killed with 02, but it was a WONDERFUL day . . . the first PF day in over a year).  You need to make sure and monitor your blood pressure when taking Verapamil . . . can lower same more than you want . . . make sure your doc is on top of this.   Having said that . . . many here take MUCH higher doses and sometimes in combinations with other drugs such as Lithium.

I assume you are using the 02 12-15 lpm?  Non rebreather mask (the one with the bag)?  I ask because all too often docs who do relent  and give and 02 script prescribe much lower flo rates thru a nasal canulae . . . . which just doesn't do it for us.

Glad the Melatonin provided you with some rest.

Be Safe,    PFDANs

Richard
IP Logged

I can live with the beast as long as I don't have to "dance" with the bastard.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 6:33am »

good for you! you had a good night!!! Cheesy

and you are very welcome Smiley
thanks for checking back with us.
« Last Edit: Dec 26th, 2007, 6:34am by lionsound » IP Logged
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 8:42am »

Two pain free nights now. Woke up with a shadow both mornings, oxygen didn't help those so I popped a couple of cafergot. I feel certain it's the melatonin and not the verapamil that's given relief. Being a paramedic I never hesitate with oxygen and yes, I use a non-breather at 12-15. Will be checking in with medical folks today about upping verapamil to 250. I've been in this cycle two months. Am hopeful it will end some time this month. Cheers!
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 11:49am »

on Dec 26th, 2007, 8:42am, maryo wrote:
I feel certain it's the melatonin and not the verapamil that's given relief.

Very glad to hear that you're getting relief.

How are you certain of the above?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
maryo
New Board Junior
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 4:13pm »

How certain? Oh, gee, kinda certain. I had been on the verapramil 5 days with no change. Things changed when I added the melatonin.

Do c-heads generally do better with time release melatonin or the regular? I have both on hand. Thanks.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 26th, 2007, 5:05pm »

on Dec 26th, 2007, 4:13pm, maryo wrote:
How certain? Oh, gee, kinda certain. I had been on the verapramil 5 days with no change. Things changed when I added the melatonin.

Do c-heads generally do better with time release melatonin or the regular? I have both on hand. Thanks.

thought you were saying dickhead$ lol

some actually mix time release and standard suggestng that it provides a more natural sleep.
I have only used standard.

Sleep is good...enjoy Wink
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss