Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 17th, 2024, 2:34am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topomax Acne Eruption »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topomax Acne Eruption
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topomax Acne Eruption  (Read 281 times)
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

Topomax Acne Eruption
« on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I went to the dermatologist today, after waiting monthsbof course, because I've had an eruption of what look like tiny pimples all over my lower back (mostly) since August, which spread to my upper back and chest.  I usually get some acne on my upper back and shoulders in the winter, but they're larger and far fewer than these.

He said it definitely looked like acne, and went through my medical history and sawbthat it started just after my neuro had started me on a few new meds.  He looked them up, and saw that acne eruptions are listed as a possible side effect of Topomax.

He gave me antibiotics to see if they clear up, and I'll keep on the topomax because it works well.  I just thought I'd post this because I remember seeing an earlier post from someone with similar sounding acne on their stomach.
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: Topomax Acne Eruption
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Check out these two possibilities: papular drug reactions, and lymphomatoid papulosis (LP). Both look like acne, and both can be caused by various prescriptions. Verapamil has been associated with this condtion, not sure about topomax.  Antibiotics don't help much.  

There are various spellings for lymphomatoid papulosis - this is a relatively rare condition, poorly understood. It is caused by immune cells getting activated and clustering in the skin.  One form may be cancerous, but don't let that scare you - most types are not cancerous and seem to be a reaction to medicines or an infection.

I have had what seemed to be a minor case of this - for me, the pimples were smaller than normal acne (not true for everyone, they can be larger), and it was not in places I normally get acne (legs).
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2008, 6:19am by monty » IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss