Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 12:07pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Zolmitriptan (Zomig) nasal spray »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Zolmitriptan (Zomig) nasal spray
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Zolmitriptan (Zomig) nasal spray  (Read 597 times)
webgopher
New Board Newbie
USA 

I may get older, but I refuse to grow up.

Email

Zolmitriptan (Zomig) nasal spray
« on: Dec 28th, 2007, 8:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I saw something about this being used for migraines and it being tried for CH with success (in as little as 10 minutes). How long will it take for the FDA to decide that this would be an appropriate medication for CH?  
Has anyone had any experience with it?
IP Logged
totka2
New Board Old Timer
Hungary 

Oxygen

Re: Zolmitriptan (Zomig) nasal spray
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28th, 2007, 8:46am »

Since nasal spray isn't available here in Hungary no experience but here are some readings
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/75988.php
http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/news-153839-5.html
IP Logged

http://www.clusterheadache.hu
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 28th, 2007, 8:59am »

Neurology. 2007 Aug 28;69(9):821-6.  
Zolmitriptan nasal spray in the acute treatment of cluster headache: a double-blind study.

Rapoport AM, Mathew NT, Silberstein SD, Dodick D, Tepper SJ, Sheftell FD, Bigal ME.

Department of Neurology, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA. alanrapoport@gmail.com

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of zolmitriptan 5 mg and 10 mg nasal spray (ZNS) vs placebo in the acute treatment of cluster headache. Design/ METHODS: We conducted a multicenter, double-blind, randomized, three-period crossover study using ZNS 5 mg, ZNS 10 mg, and placebo. Headache intensity was rated by a 5-point scale: none, mild, moderate, severe, or very severe. The primary efficacy measure was headache response (pain reduced from moderate, severe, or very severe at baseline, to mild or none) at 30 minutes. Logistic regression was used to account for treatment period effect as well as for cluster headache subtype effect. RESULTS: A total of 52 adult patients treated 151 attacks. For the primary endpoint, both doses reached significance at 30 minutes (placebo = 30%, ZNS 5 mg = 50%, ZNS 10 mg = 63.3%). For headache relief, ZNS 10 mg separated from placebo at 10 minutes (24.5% vs 10%). Zolmitriptan 5 mg separated from placebo at 20 minutes (38.5% vs 20%). For pain-free status, ZNS 10 mg was superior to placebo at 15 minutes (22.0% vs 6%). Both doses had higher pain-free rates than placebo at 30 minutes (placebo = 20%, ZNS 5 mg = 38.5%, ZNS 10 mg = 46.9%). Side effects were mild and seen in 16% of those attacks treated with placebo, 25% of attacks treated with ZNS 5 mg, and 32.7% treated with ZNS 10 mg. Conclusions/Relevance: Zolmitriptan nasal spray, at doses of 5 and 10 mg, is effective and tolerable for the acute treatment of cluster headache.

Publication Types:  
Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

PMID: 17724283 [PubMed]
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2007, 10:10pm »

I use the Zomig nasals all the time - 5mg, so I don't get my total dose up too high, I try not to use more than 10 mgs per day, and in this current episode, (started again 12/15), I've had as many as 3 in a day, but only for a few days out of the past few weeks. They work well for me, just don't wait too long, I'll spray my nose at a kip 4 so the headaches don't progress past that -----
IP Logged
tigerman
New Board Newbie
USA 

WDE Anybody but#48

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29th, 2007, 11:39pm »

It worked for me too,but seemed like when the CHs came back they were worse .I quit taking them and was getting hit twice @ night ,not to bad,then the 4th night UP 4 times,still didnt use Zomig(not many left)Went to the neuro the next day @400pm and she knocked the cycle out
IP Logged
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 7:48am »

Used one this morning as a matter of fact.  Worked well.  I try to use it instead of the imitrex injection.  I find less side effects from Zomig.
IP Logged
tigerman
New Board Newbie
USA 

WDE Anybody but#48

« Reply #6 on: Dec 31st, 2007, 11:36am »

Are the injections more or less expensive?The spray was $160 for 6,I think we will get 80%back though in 3 months
IP Logged
webgopher
New Board Newbie
USA 

I may get older, but I refuse to grow up.

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 2:32am »

I picked up my Imitrex injections this morning. my insurance covers most of the cost. I paid the $20 co-pay for four boxes. BTW - the pharmacist said there is now a 4 mg dose in addition to the 6mg dose available.
IP Logged
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 6:55am »

At my CVS, I was quoted $216 for 6 sprays of Zomig ----- I'm down to my last one, I may have to pay, I'm going to shop around
IP Logged
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 2nd, 2008, 8:19am »

I pay $20 for six imitrex injections and another $20 for six zomig nasal sprays.  I have to get my nuero to write and ask for more per month.  I prefer to use the zomig but the trex works quicker.  I usually decide based on my supply which to use first.
IP Logged
Crappy
New Board Junior
USA 

__

« Reply #10 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:46am »

Zomeg nasal is the first abortive my neuro gave, and it works for me well, without rebounds.  He said it has the lowest side effect profile of triptans.  Retail its $180 for 6, my insurance covers 1 box of 6 per month with a $50 copay, so I save it for special ocassions when I'm away from O2.
IP Logged

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence."
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss