Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 3:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « This may sound weird but... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   This may sound weird but...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: This may sound weird but...  (Read 3389 times)
Gadget_Ollie

Email

This may sound weird but...
« on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Okay, this may sound a little weird but here goes...

I'm chronic for the past 27 months. Usually 2 to 5 hits a day ranging from 3 to 8 on the KIP scale (multiple 10's over the 27 month period).

I've tried the medical route, doctors and nuerologists, enough different medications to sink a ship and little to no success in preventing or aborting CH. I quit the doctors and medications about 6 months ago (my body was over polluted with the stuff and their solution was to keep increasing the dosages) and tried the "natural" route. Feverfew, green tea, red tea, butter bur, water, etc. with, again, little to no relief.

I decided to experiment on myself since nothing was working anyway. I did the coffee guzzeling which seems to work about 50% of the time but one unfortunate downfall is downing several cups of coffee at 1:00 in the morning keeps me from going back to sleep and getting up at 5:00 for work really affects my day. (I'm sure Red Bull would have the same affect on me)

So I did a lot of research on a theory I have and I'm using myself as the test subject. After two weeks, it has never failed yet in aborting a CH hit.

The finding...take 3 to 5 teaspoons of yellow mustard anytime during a beast attack. For me, the pain diminishes almost immediately and is usually gone within 2 minutes (the longest was 7 minutes). I've been using Plochman's yellow mustard (the one in our fridge, so I was forced to try it). I haven't tried any other brand of mustard or brown mustards, etc. so I'm not sure if they would have the same impact or not.

The benefits for me are, quick abort, no caffeine effect, and no calories. The drawback...it's sometimes hard to down 3 to 5 teaspoons of yellow mustard. (downing the mustard...pain, downing the mustard...pain... I think I'll down the mustard  Grin )

I said this may sound weird  Wink.

If anyone else is willing to try, let me know if this really does help or maybe I'm so desperate that I'm willing to believe it helps.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: This may sound weird but...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm curious. What research led you to mustard? What properties does it have that led you to try it?
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #2 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:19pm »

I think we got a weiner here.

Potter

IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
K-MAN
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:25pm »

I'm having one hell of an attack right now.  The Red Bull made a serious dent, and the RC seeds are keeping the intensity and frequency down.  Trying not to use the triptans unless it's absolutely unbearable.

Hell, I'll try eating mustard.  It's cheap, and it's no crazier than anything else we've all tried.  

And yes, it does sound weird.

K-Man
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:35pm »

Mustard has some similarities to hot pepper and capsaicin, as well as some differences.  The yellow stuff is usually not so hot, and has turmeric to make it yellow.  

If you really have clusters, I don't think there is much of a placebo effect. It doesn't matter how desperate you are - the  attack is not shut off by a placebo. A placebo might convince you that a 6 was a 5.5, but would not shut off the pain or other symptoms.  

IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:42pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:35pm, monty wrote:
Mustard has some similarities to hot pepper and capsaicin, as well as some differences.  The yellow stuff is usually not so hot, and has turmeric to make it yellow.  

Not if it's english mustard. That's bright yellow and pretty fierce! It snot like that yellow wallpaper paste you lot call "french"  Wink

It's not a selling thing, we aren't being directed to a mustard sales site so I don't think this is complete rubbish and as far as I'm concerned if it works for you Ollie then bloody good luck to you!

Read up on some of the other stuff here though as you might find something more effective.

I wish you pain free days regardless
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:46pm »

Mustard contains isothiocyanates - along the lines of what wiped out a few thousand people in Bhopal, India a while back. This acts on the TRPV/Substance P receptors - causes a type of warming or burning that is somewhat like hot pepper.  

Mustard gas is not chemically related to mustard. But Bruce Ames (the guy who developed the first lab test for mutagens) doesn't like mustard as a spice, because it makes cells mutate.  

Curious that you report it doesn't take several doses to abort (as capsaicin does), or that it doesn't sometimes make things worse before they get better.  

Over here, the yellow stuff is weak, and the gourmet stuff like grey poupon or Plochman's natural is somewhat stronger ... dunno what it is like straight, but 2 spoonfuls round out the flavor of chili.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:50pm by monty » IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 1:05pm »

If mustard works for you and it takes 3-5 spoons of the stuff, you might consider a really good horseradish.  Same isothiocyantes, but it usually takes much less horseradish to cause the impression that molten lava has been poured in your sinuses.  

Wait. Maybe not so strong is better?
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2008, 1:10pm by monty » IP Logged

Gadget_Ollie

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 1:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jan 3rd, 2008, 1:05pm, monty wrote:
If mustard works for you and it takes 3-5 spoons of the stuff, you might consider a really good horseradish.  Same isothiocyantes, but it usually takes much less horseradish to cause the impression that lava has been poured in your sinuses.

It's not a sinus effect that I'm trying to achieve. I have read some studies that indicate that breathing cold air can relieve CH pain. Also, the indication from others on this board (including myself) demonstrates that coffee (caffeine) can sometimes rapidly reduce the pain. Still, some others I have talked to say that during an attack, smoking actually helps (NOT Recommended). Standing outside in the winter, drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes should be ultimate pain relief  Grin

This is not scientific by any stretch of the imagination, but the one common factor is each of these constrict blood vessels (cold, caffeine, and smoking). Mustard is a food item that also constricts blood vessels, so I decided to give it a whirl.

I'm sure drinking Red Bull sounded pretty weird at first until some tried it and actually found relief. Constricting blood vessels sounds 180 degrees away from the direction medical science was taking me with the medications. But medical science also admits that they don't know the cause or the solution for CH. Since nothing was working anyway, maybe 180 degrees is the right way for me to go.

I posted this in hope that if it is helping me (so far), maybe it could help one or two others.  

IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 1:39pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2008, 1:34pm, Gadget_Ollie wrote:

I posted this in hope that if it is helping me (so far), maybe it could help one or two others.  

And that is what the spirit of this place is all about - thank you Ollie!
IP Logged

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #10 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 3:29pm »

Lots of good luck with the mustard, Ollie! Smiley I'm glad that you've found something which helps you. Smiley

Lots of PF time,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

mummymac
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

Kissed Donny Osmond and proud of it

mummymac  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 3:32pm »

Quote:
Not if it's english mustard. That's bright yellow and pretty fierce! It snot like that yellow wallpaper paste you lot call "french"

I would give this a try , Being British I am confused which is what.

Is the yellow mustard being talked about french mustard or the hotdog mustard?
IP Logged

Tanya

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 4:08pm »

the hotdog crap Tanya - there is a brand there called French's which in no way resembles what we call French mustard here. That stuff is so mild it's not worth using.
IP Logged

thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #13 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 11:29am »

on Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:25pm, K-MAN wrote:

Hell, I'll try eating mustard.  It's cheap, and it's no crazier than anything else we've all tried.  

I'm with ya.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #14 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 9:49pm »

go one step better and use horseradish. Wink
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
LarryM
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 3:38am »

I've used horseradish for years. If you go the mustard route, try Colman's English mustard in the yellow tin. It's a powder so you can mix it to the strength you like. For you that have never tasted it , it's what Chinese Americans use to substitute for the hot mustard you get in Chinese resturants. I also use Kim Chee and Thai garlic chili sauces. All these can help with shadows and < than 6's. Past a 6 and I don't get much help. I can say I can down hot sauce with the best of em, can't even eat ketchup anymore without mixing it 50/50.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #16 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 7:27am »

In order to make it go down easier, would it be defeating the purpose if I mixed it with bratwurst (mustard) or medium rare roast beef (horseradish)?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 7th, 2008, 12:02pm »

what about Wasabi?????
could that work? strongest out of the lot of em innit?
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
GuitarBill
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 3:07am »

Wow! Thanks for this post! I am seriously going to try this before I bow to the old 02 tank just to see if it works...or use it along with o2.  
It's funny but come to think of it I have in the past eaten a dish with alot of jalapeno (spicy) peppers before and it did seem to ward off an attack..I didn't pay any mind to it though. I don't know if it's the exact same as mustard?...
thanks again and pain free wishes...keep us updated about this too...
IP Logged

Pffst! Yeah....define "headache"...
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #19 on: Jan 8th, 2008, 9:09am »

Looked inthe fridge...we have the pale imitation mustard, but do have some horseradish..ahha  found the Colemans in the cupboard, remember the first time I used it...being an American I had no idea that mustard is Suppossed to be spicy-recipe called for 2 tsp and that hardly seemed sufficient-also didn't change the color, so I bumped it up a few notches.  Dang! Shocked New respect for mustard.

Thanks for the input...any port in a storm..
PFDAN y'all
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #20 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 12:25pm »

Just wanted to follow-up, if possible - anybody else tried this yet?

Gary's still got the problem with the chronic vomiting, so is hesitant to give it a go in case it just makes him throw up.  A few people said they were going to try it, and I'm just wondering if we have any more success stories?

Thanks!

Laurie
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #21 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 12:54pm »

on Jan 19th, 2008, 12:25pm, Garys_Girl wrote:
Just wanted to follow-up, if possible - anybody else tried this yet?

Gary's still got the problem with the chronic vomiting, so is hesitant to give it a go in case it just makes him throw up.  A few people said they were going to try it, and I'm just wondering if we have any more success stories?

Thanks!

Laurie

Chronic vomiting and a couple of big spoons of mustard oughta work real good.
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

« Reply #22 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 1:41pm »

on Jan 19th, 2008, 12:54pm, vietvet2tours wrote:

Oh man, reminds me when I threw up ginger root capsules.  Burned like a mother and I refuse to swallow them ever again! Tongue
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #23 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 1:42pm »

on Jan 19th, 2008, 12:54pm, vietvet2tours wrote:

That's real helpful, thanks. WTF?
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #24 on: Jan 19th, 2008, 3:25pm »

on Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:42pm, LeLimey wrote:
It's not a selling thing, we aren't being directed to a mustard sales site so I don't think this is complete rubbish

The people who recommended rubbing cat shit on your head and neck weren't selling anything either.  

Now before someone gets their feathers ruffled, I'm not saying this guy is trying to get people to hurt themselves for his amusement.  Just explaining why we are initially skeptical when someone posts something that "may sound a little weird"

Quote:
and as far as I'm concerned if it works for you Ollie then bloody good luck to you!

I agree.  Whatever works!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss