Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 9:37am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « amlodipine (Norvasc) vs verapamil »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   amlodipine (Norvasc) vs verapamil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: amlodipine (Norvasc) vs verapamil  (Read 2420 times)
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

amlodipine (Norvasc) vs verapamil
« on: Jan 6th, 2008, 10:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Any thoughts on this one?
My neuro wants to try norvasc out before going to verapamil for the side effect profile benefits, says it's all about controlling the calcium channel, etc, kept me on the Tmax, tapering the steroid, switched my abortive from zomig nasal to imitrex injection (which he got me 30 shots for my co-pay of $20, holy cow!)(btw, tried the imitrex the other night, works way better than the zomig)
Sorry, off topic.
So - he basically said that by the time thaat verapamil was effective for cluster that you can't poop, so let's try the norvasc - has anybody else tried norvasc?
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: amlodipine (Norvasc) vs verapamil
« Reply #1 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 2:10pm »

Over the years, several drugs in this and other classes of BP meds, have been tried for CH without success. Verap has clearly been the winner and I cannot recall anyone having serious problems of constipation reporting it here. (Some mild cases but not to the degree where Verap has been discontinued.)  

In any case, it's not a difficult problem to handle in exchange for the benefits of Verap. This appears to be true even with the rather high doses of Verap needed to affect CH.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
EstieSA
New Board Junior
South_Africa 

« Reply #2 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 4:19pm »

on Jan 6th, 2008, 10:31am, lennycohen wrote:
Any thoughts on this one?
My neuro wants to try norvasc out before going to verapamil for the side effect profile benefits, says it's all about controlling the calcium channel...by the time that verapamil was effective for cluster that you can't poop, so let's try the norvasc

Nothing wrong with the theory - try it & report back! Smiley
IP Logged
tigerman
New Board Newbie
USA 

WDE Anybody but#48

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 6:24pm »

Tried 2 yrs. ago & did not have another cluster(Quit taking them after a week)This last round they did not work,but the pills were a year out of date?Sorry, the norvasc.It may be more for migraines?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss