Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 2:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anybody ever try ginger? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anybody ever try ginger?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anybody ever try ginger?  (Read 1210 times)
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

Anybody ever try ginger?
« on: Jan 10th, 2008, 8:58am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was checking out the clusterbuster website and found some comments about using powdered ginger.  I am trying to detox from heavy imitrex use and looking for alternatives abortives.  Anybody have any experience with ginger?
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: Anybody ever try ginger?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10th, 2008, 9:52am »

I've used ginger on occasion.  It helps me with attacks up to about a level 3-4 if I hit it early.  I just use a chunk of ginger root right from the produce section of the market.  A simple tea for headaches can be steeped in a saucepan by thinly chopping one-half cup of scrubbed, unpeeled ginger root and adding it to 3-4 cups of water.  Bring it to a boil and then simmer for at least 15 minutes.  If it needs more flavor, steep it longer.  Add honey or sugar to sweeten it if you don't like it as is.  Sometimes, I'll make a large pot of it and just let it steep for a long time to get it as strong as possible.  Larger quantities can be stored in the refrigerator for many days.  It's inexpensive to do this way, and I hope you can use it in your arsenal.  
Good luck with it.
Patti

IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 12:12pm »

Got some adivce from a clusterbuster and tried the ginger.  I think it helped with the nightime attacks.  Quickly added a teaspoon of powdered ginger to water and gulped.  Tasted like crap but the hits where mild and the o2 kicked it within 10 minutes.  Not sure if coincidence or if the gigner really works.  I will keep posting as I try it.
Tim
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 1:37pm »

shadows
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 4:19pm »

I would put ginger in the same camp as the other hot stuff - hot pepper and mustard/horseradish. These things seem to help neurovascular headaches up to a point, but are not a silver bullet.  

Ginger seems to have more beneficial activity on the serotonin-3 receptors than the other hot stuff (it blocks them).  Too much firing of the serotonin-3 receptors can cause anxiety, siezures, vomiting and other not so nice things. Ginger can block anxiety to a degree, and is used to prevent motion sickness.  Ginger increases the loss of coordination caused by benzos and presumably increases other activities from that class of drugs.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 4:45pm »

Thanks for the additional info monty.  I truly appreciate it.  
Tim
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 3:52pm »

on Jan 10th, 2008, 9:52am, pattik wrote:
I've used ginger on occasion.  It helps me with attacks up to about a level 3-4 if I hit it early.  I just use a chunk of ginger root right from the produce section of the market.  A simple tea for headaches can be steeped in a saucepan by thinly chopping one-half cup of scrubbed, unpeeled ginger root and adding it to 3-4 cups of water.  Bring it to a boil and then simmer for at least 15 minutes.  If it needs more flavor, steep it longer.  Add honey or sugar to sweeten it if you don't like it as is.  Sometimes, I'll make a large pot of it and just let it steep for a long time to get it as strong as possible.  Larger quantities can be stored in the refrigerator for many days.  It's inexpensive to do this way, and I hope you can use it in your arsenal.  
Good luck with it.
Patti

So I felt my friend move back in over the last week.  You know, that feeling that something is up there in that void again.  No hits yet, just hints of things to come.  Been shadowing off and on for a few days now.

Damn Patti!  I just made a cup carefully following your directions.  Only I miss-read 3-4 cups of water to be 3/4 cup of water.  Let me tell you, simmering 1/2 cup of thinly sliced, fresh ginger root for 15 minutes in only 3/4 cup of water and then drinking the resultant concoction will take your breath away  pokeeye.  

I had to add a bit more water before I could choak it down.  It's about the spiciest tea I've ever had  eek

Seems to have chased away my shadows though  thumb  Hell, I'll drink cat piss if it'll take shadows away.

Thanks Girl!

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #7 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 6:00pm »

LOL, Dennis!  Sorry, I'm not laughing at your pain, just your spicy tea.  I guess you could use any leftovers in your favorite sCHezuan recipe.  

Actually, I make a big pot of the stuff when I'm in a cycle and keep it handy in the fridge.  Like most things natural, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Here's an older link from an OUCH newsletter with a littlle more info.  http://www.ouch-us.org/newsletters/06-2006/06-2006-07.htm

I'm sorry to hear your "friend" moved back in last week.  Here's hoping for a very short visit.  

-Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #8 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 6:09pm »

I'm more of a Mary Ann guy.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 6:09pm »

I've also found Ginger Tea to be excellent for nausea, or just a plain ol upset stomach.

smokin
IP Logged

tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #10 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 11:06pm »

Yep, ginger is good for chasing the shadows.  

Hot ginger tea is great in the winter.  

In summer I like cold hot ginger beers like Reed's Extra Ginger Brew. Cold, spicy and carbonated with some citrus taste added. Tasty.
http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/reeds/

The health food store down the street has it, and also has Outrageous Ginger Ale, which is hotter and sweeter. but not as tasty. (can't find a website)

The hottest is Blenheim 1903 Hot Ginger Ale, so I hear. I haven't got my hands on any yet.
http://blenheimshrine.com/index.html
http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/blenheim/

IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #11 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 8:29am »

I've tried the very same ginger tea mentioned above and I've used simply ginger ale with shadows - it works for me nicely when I drink it with some ice. Smiley

Based on those good experiences I have been thinking about adding ginger powder (which I have) to my diet or somekind of tablets with ginger when the beast returns.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss