Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 5:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex Vial Use Questions »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex Vial Use Questions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex Vial Use Questions  (Read 647 times)
av8r3400
New Board Newbie
USA 

Still Alive and Kickin'

Imitrex Vial Use Questions
« on: Feb 29th, 2008, 10:54am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a couple of questions for all who are using Imitrex Vials instead of the Stat-Dose Kits:

1.  Once the first piercing of the vial has been made, is there a time limit on the remainder of the vial?  Or, does the drug contain a preservative to allow for extended storage?

2.  Are there requirements to the needle gage?

3.  Since the vials come in packages of 5, are there unique storage requirements for the 'unopened' vials (refrigeration, etc.)?

4.  Any other comments or problems with this method?

Because of my recent success with the split dosing, I am seriously looking into this method of Imitrex delivery.

Thanks again for all the great information everyone has given me here.  I hope that I can reciprocate in kind, too.

IP Logged

Av8r3400

Episodic for over 20 years
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: Imitrex Vial Use Questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 1:08am »

on Feb 29th, 2008, 10:54am, av8r3400 wrote:
I have a couple of questions for all who are using Imitrex Vials instead of the Stat-Dose Kits:

1.  Once the first piercing of the vial has been made, is there a time limit on the remainder of the vial?  Or, does the drug contain a preservative to allow for extended storage?

Since the needle is sterile, as is the vial [you have to break off a plastic cap], I use this as if there is no particular time limit.  This medication does not have a preservative as it is ment to be a single dose.

2.  Are there requirements to the needle gage?

No.  I use BD Ultra-Fine 1/2 cc, 1/2 inch, 30 guage needles.  The fine guage needles hurt less -- less is good!

3.  Since the vials come in packages of 5, are there unique storage requirements for the 'unopened' vials (refrigeration, etc.)?

Room temperature storage is recommended on the packaging, however for extended storage [beyond the recommended expiration date], the refridgerator is a good choice.  I believe that some freeze the vials, but I have not tried that yet.  Perhaps others can comment on that point.

4.  Any other comments or problems with this method?

This is the best method for me.  I've previously responded to you in another thread, but I bought a 6x4 inch zippered pouch that I keep 5 vials, 10 syringes, and about 50 alcohol prep pads.  I also cut the prescription label off of the box and put that into the pouch.  I always use a sterile syringe (well, try to), and always use an alcohol prep pad (BD makes good ones) on the area where I will inject.  I "pinch up" some flesh on my upper thigh, and push the syringe slowly.  Then I use the same prep pad to massage the area to prevent bruising and to help the medication be absorbed.

Because of my recent success with the split dosing, I am seriously looking into this method of Imitrex delivery.

Thanks again for all the great information everyone has given me here.  I hope that I can reciprocate in kind, too.

If any of that is unclear, I'd be glad to try to explain further.  I've been using this method for a long time!  

Wishing you well,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
av8r3400
New Board Newbie
USA 

Still Alive and Kickin'

« Reply #2 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 8:51am »

Thank you, Ray.  I appreciate your information very much.  Sounds like you have a well perfected system going there.

I think I may have beaten off this latest cluster, but I believe that I will be assembling something very closely based on your model for the next visit of the beast.  

Maybe, I can keep him guessing for a while.  You know, the whole best defence is a good offense theory...  Angry
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2008, 8:53am by av8r3400 » IP Logged

Av8r3400

Episodic for over 20 years
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 1:57pm »

You're very welcome.  I hope you get a LONG break.

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss