Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 10:38am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Abdominal cramps »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Abdominal cramps
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Abdominal cramps  (Read 720 times)
Penobscott
New Board Newbie
USA 

No choice but hope.

Abdominal cramps
« on: Jan 12th, 2008, 9:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone else out there experience abdominal cramps from their meds?  I'll take them over the headaches any day, but I'm wondering if they are caused by the Imitrex or the Verapamil?  Having a pain free day today, except for the cramps.  It feels like I have to use the bathroom bad, but when I go, there's nothing.  My guess is it's the Ver., because I haven't had any Imi. since yesterday and just upped the Ver. dose from 200mg to 300 yesterday.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: Abdominal cramps
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12th, 2008, 9:30pm »

Go to the store right now. Buy a quart of prune juice and two boxes of Raisin Bran. Drink half of the juice and eat a bowl of the bran. Then every day thereafter drink a glass of prune juice and eat a bowl of the bran. Do not run out.

One of the nasty side effects of verapamil is constipation. It has a tendency to moderate over time, but it can suck in the meantime.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 6:45am »

Whatever you do DO NOT DRINK GRAPEFRUIT JUICE OR EAT GRAPEFRUIT!!!!

OJ is fine and any other citrus or other fruit juices but grapefruit intensifies the effect of verap which could be nasty.  

As Brew says - try the good old prune juice or stuff of that ilk.  Grin
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 10:04am »

Did you get lost on your way to the store? Maybe you're spending some wonderful, relief-filled hours in the john. Grin
IP Logged

Penobscott
New Board Newbie
USA 

No choice but hope.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 12:45pm »

Thanks everyone.
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 4:32pm »

A magnesium supplement will also help loosen things up a bit.  Grin
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 4:53pm »

I just thought of another decent solution. The generic form of Senekot that you can get at just about any chain drug store. It's a natural vegetable laxative (not the chemical form), and the generic is much cheaper.
IP Logged

monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 5:08pm »

on Jan 14th, 2008, 4:53pm, brewcrew wrote:
I just thought of another decent solution. The generic form of Senekot that you can get at just about any chain drug store. It's a natural vegetable laxative (not the chemical form), and the generic is much cheaper.

Senekot might not be the best thing for people taking verapamil:  

Quote:
Senna or other anthraquinone-containing herbs should not be used by people diverticular disease, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, severe hemorrhoids, blood vessel disease, congestive heart failure, heart disease, severe anemia, abdominal hernia, gastrointestinal cancer, recent colon surgery, or liver and kidney disease.

Senna may interact with drugs called calcium channel blockers, such as procardia, and the drug indocin.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/completeazindex/a/senna.htm
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 5:18pm »

Ach, talk about over-cautioning ... on further searching, there is an interaction, but calcium channel inhibitors seem to work against or block the slip-and-slide effects of senna.  And it doesn't seem to be an issue for verapamil:

##################################
The involvement of Ca2+ in the mechanism of the purgative action of rhein anthrone was studied. Among individual or combination pretreatments with calcium channel blockers, calmodulin antagonists and prostaglandin biosynthesis inhibitors, the combination of indomethacin and nifedipine completely blocked the diarrhoea induced by rhein anthrone and also inhibited its effects on colonic fluid and electrolyte transport, and large intestinal motility. Calmodulin antagonists were less active regarding suppression of the effects of rhein anthrone. We concluded that, in addition to prostaglandins, diarrhoea induced by rhein anthrone must also involve the calcium channel which can be blocked by nifedipine, but not verapamil.

IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 5:19pm »

on Jan 14th, 2008, 5:08pm, monty wrote:

Senekot might not be the best thing for people taking verapamil:  

Maybe you'd like to call my neuro and tell him that. He's the one that suggested it. Think I should sue him?
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss