Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 20th, 2024, 5:36pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Am I Chronic? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Am I Chronic?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Am I Chronic?  (Read 439 times)
findjoshua
New Board Junior
USA 

findjoshua
Email

Am I Chronic?
« on: Jan 25th, 2008, 3:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It's been about three months now and I've been getting hits almost every day excpet for the days I've been on prednisone.  Am I chronic now?  The verapamil didn't work, and now am looking at maybe Neurontin or some other type... not happy about getting side effects but can't handle the pain anymore.  My Maxalt and  
Imitrex prescriptions are maxed out.

Pained and pissed.
Joshua
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: Am I Chronic?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 3:17pm »

The official definition is something like a year (with less than a month's break at a time).  But my episodes have been very regular in the past and relatively short - if I was up to 5 months straight, I would assume that I was chronic. In spite of the official definition.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 3:27pm »

You sure you were on a theraputic dose of verapamil? Also, there are other preventatives out there, a few with little to no side effect. Keep looking.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 3:41pm »

Hi Joshua

I am a supporter for my husband who has CH and he had to try a few combos and different dosage before he stumbled across those that worked.

He tried many different ones but in the end Verapamil and Neurontin worked best for him as preventives, and oxygen, triptans plus Zyprexa worked well as abortives.

Dont lose faith, keep searching and trying. Your magic bullet may just be the next thing you try. Hang on there.

Good luck and painfree wishes.  
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 4:11pm »

We've all been where you are now, tired of hurting and frustrated as hell. It sucks. Push forward with trying different meds and combos of meds, it's worth the effort when you finally find that silver bullet. For me:

I'm episodic, 48, male weigh about 190. When my cycle starts I go on a 2 week prednisone taper while I start taking lithium, eventually ramping up to 1200 mg of lithium a day. That's my preventative strategy.

When a headache breaks through that it's pure oxygen and an occasional imitrex jab. Imitrex is expensive and I hate the side effects so I reserve it for the real butt kickers.

Some have had success combining the lithium and the verapamil. What Brew meant about the verapamil is most docs start at way too low a dose. Some go as high as 980mg a day before they get relief. Hang in there.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 4:11pm »

I kinda doubt it (unless I am and don't realize it). My cycles can last 6-9 months long. I then get about a year painfree before the next one starts (so about a year and a half from beginning of one, to the beginning of the next). I think Monty is right... a year without a month long break is how they diagnose chronic. ( I may be wrong)

Hope it ends soon!!
Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
chewy

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25th, 2008, 8:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The answer to your chronic question is no.

One year with less than 30 days pain free.
IP Logged
Travis1980
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 11:15am »

Hey Josh,

I actually posted an identical thread a while back. I am currently in the exact same cycle as you. Almost three months and scared as hell that it isn't going to end. My Doc has been great about giving me some heads up on treatment options in the future. That gives me hope. You can always try something new. I actually upped my Verpamil this week to over 500mg. I think the best thing I can do for myself at this point is to expect remission. Something is going to work. Good luck, I'm right there with ya'.

Also, how is your imitrex script  "maxxed out"? Call it in, right?
IP Logged
findjoshua
New Board Junior
USA 

findjoshua
Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 7:04pm »

By "maxed" out I mean that I've used all the alloted meds way before the next refill is available to me.  I am trying to get them to adjust what is given to me with one co-pay.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 8:23pm »

Hi Joshua,

Sorry the beast is still kicking your ass.  Forgive me for not knowing but are you using O2 and energy drings or Taurine tablets?  Using O2 and energy drinks I have my triptan use down to an average of 1 per week.  These are effective for many of us and work without all the side effects of triptans.  Namely rebound headaches.  

Maxalt-MLT and Imitrex are good abortives but they aren't the only triptans out there.  There are actually seven in all.  Another fast acting triptan you might turn to is Zomig nasal spray.  There are several around here that swear by it though I haven't tried it myself.

The other triptan formulations like Amerge (Naratriptan) are slower acting (1 hour) but longer lasting.  However if your hits are regular you can take them before you are due to get hit as a kind of preventative.  

If not then use O2 and taurine to knock the hit down while you wait for the slower acting triptan to kick in.

Insurance companies limit the quantity of each triptan they cover in a month.  Working with your Doctor you can get perscriptions to cycle through various triptans over the course of the month.

My perscription plan covers the following triptan quantities:

4, 4mg Imitrex injections
6, Maxalt MLT tabs
6, Zomiz Nasal Spray doses
12, 2.5mg Amerge tablets

This covers one triptan for each of 28 days and you've only used four of the seven triptan formulations out there.

I'm not suggesting you live on triptans as I'm sure you'd feel like crap in no time.  But some folks have no alternative.  This is one strategy that might work to get you the relief you need.

Good luck.  I hope you catch a break soon.

-Dennis-

IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
findjoshua
New Board Junior
USA 

findjoshua
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 8:27pm »

Wow, thank you for the very detailed reply, and the concern.  I love these boards.  I am actually on O2 (home only) and I do take Imitrex (nasal spray & tablets) plus Maxalt-MLT tabs.  I have a neuro appt tomorrow and will try to get back on pred to break this cycle and ramp up on more verap or try something more heavy hitting.  

When I was at my wits end last cycle and had no refills on anything I did pound Red Bulls and that was both disgusting and just effective enough to keep it going.  I am going to try taking Magnesium supplements, as I've heard they can also be effective.

Will update tomorrow after my neuro appt.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 8:33pm »

Good luck finding your magic bullet Joshua.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss