Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 2:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « A cure in two words? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   A cure in two words?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: A cure in two words?  (Read 2292 times)
RogerG
New Board Newbie
England 

Good to be among friends

A cure in two words?
« on: Jan 30th, 2008, 5:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

CHANGE HEMISPHERES

I am now 54 and been suffering since late teens. I seem to go 18 months to 2 years without clusters. Ice sometimes helps and various other tricks but when a bad one is coming, there is nothing to do but suffer. However, my work takes me from UK to Africa and within two days of arriving, the headaches stop and my head feels clear again. If I return to UK too soon, back they come.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Roger
IP Logged

RogerG
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: A cure in two words?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 5:53pm »

Cure?
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 6:02pm »

on Jan 30th, 2008, 5:40pm, RogerG wrote:
CHANGE HEMISPHERES

I am now 54 and been suffering since late teens. I seem to go 18 months to 2 years without clusters. Ice sometimes helps and various other tricks but when a bad one is coming, there is nothing to do but suffer. However, my work takes me from UK to Africa and within two days of arriving, the headaches stop and my head feels clear again. If I return to UK too soon, back they come.

Anyone had any similar experiences?

Roger

Nope
IP Logged

Hope! http://artonio7.com
CH Pain Calendar Free Download
For artwork
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #3 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 6:53pm »

That's one I'll have to remember for the annual "best cure awards".

Wink

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 6:57pm »

Helen, Brace yourself.  

We'll all be there in a few days.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #5 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 7:08pm »

Sheeeeeit.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 8:01pm »

on Jan 30th, 2008, 6:57pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Helen, Brace yourself.  

We'll all be there in a few days.

Uh ... Linda ... I don't know quite how to break this to ya but moving in with Helen wouldn't change your hemisphere.  You'd have to move south of the equator.

Now, let's all plan to move in with Aussie Brian and Annette!

Of course by this advice they should be cured. Right?

tongue2

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 8:30pm »

Or.......

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

with warm regards,
Tony
IP Logged

For artwork
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 12:04am »

on Jan 30th, 2008, 8:01pm, DennisM1045 wrote:

Uh ... Linda ... I don't know quite how to break this to ya but moving in with Helen wouldn't change your hemisphere.  You'd have to move south of the equator.

Now, let's all plan to move in with Aussie Brian and Annette!

Of course by this advice they should be cured. Right?

tongue2

-Dennis-

Hey Dennis you are all welcome to move Down Under with us  Smiley but then you will all be cured and we will still be suffering !  Tongue

Tell you what, how about we swap houses, you move down here and we move up there .. . Instant cure with a bit of sight seeing thrown in as well  Wink

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #9 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 12:16am »

There may be something helpful when one makes a move closer to the Equator.
There was a speaker at the Clusterbuster Conference who has a theory and some anecdotal evidence about it.

Watch the General Boards for an announcement about the Conference Report.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 12:31am »

on Jan 30th, 2008, 5:53pm, Jonny wrote:
Cure?

He did end the statement with a question mark, meaning he was asking IF it might be a cure. He wasn't stating it was a cure.

Roger,
Some people have noticed a marked improvement in their cycles when they move or vacation to a location closer to the equator, from a more northern location. There has long been speculation that moving closer to the equator would help people. No one to my knowledge has any real evidence of this other than people with similar stories to yours. Also, no one has come up with a plausible explanation as to why this might be, although anecdotal evidence such as this is often how new breakthroughs begin to be considered.

All that said, you aren't alone in your experience.

It seems to me, after hearing of these stories and following up on them, that it has more to do with that sort of "change" bringing about the improvement, than just the location.  
I'm under the impression that if you moved there (Africa), your body would then eventually become accustomed to the new location and your clusters would come back, while in Africa.  

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 12:34am »

Maybe I'm naive, but if we just change this:

to this:

None of us should have to move, right?

Undecided  

Best,

George
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2008, 12:35am by George_J » IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #12 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 5:20am »

Interesting Roger.  As others have said, this comes up periodically. However, perhaps importantly you don't say precisely where in Africa you travel and for how long you stay before returning for it to remain efficacious?

There is some evidence that the prevalence and incidence of CH increases the further away from the equator people are, but this evidence is scant and may be highly influenced by logistical limitations of epidemiological studies in some regions/countries.  But in theory, if you travel to say Kenya, your CH could improve whereas if you travelled to say RSA, then your CH shouldn't change significantly.

If this theory does hold true then it may be because of the limited variation in day length i.e. a pretty consistent 12 hour light period throughout the year around the equator.  Over time, this may in some way help re-set the master body clock, specifically the suprachiasmatic nucleus housed within the hypothalamus (either the left or right one, depending on your preference).  Indeed this may be the latent mechanism of action for some CH treatments, particularly indole-ring based medication and perhaps even neurostimulation.

Anyway, if it is Kenya that you visit then all the best with it (but keep your head down).

-Lee
IP Logged
artonio7
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Home since 11/18/06

artonio9  

« Reply #13 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 7:31am »

on Jan 31st, 2008, 5:20am, LeeS wrote:
Interesting Roger.  As others have said, this comes up periodically. However, perhaps importantly you don't say precisely where in Africa you travel and for how long you stay before returning for it to remain efficacious?

There is some evidence that the prevalence and incidence of CH increases the further away from the equator people are, but this evidence is scant and may be highly influenced by logistical limitations of epidemiological studies in some regions/countries.  But in theory, if you travel to say Kenya, your CH could improve whereas if you travelled to say RSA, then your CH shouldn't change significantly.

If this theory does hold true then it may be because of the limited variation in day length i.e. a pretty consistent 12 hour light period throughout the year around the equator.  Over time, this may in some way help re-set the master body clock, specifically the suprachiasmatic nucleus housed within the hypothalamus (either the left or right one, depending on your preference).  Indeed this may be the latent mechanism of action for some CH treatments, particularly indole-ring based medication and perhaps even neurostimulation.

Anyway, if it is Kenya that you visit then all the best with it (but keep your head down).

-Lee

... just a thought... if the logic is that the amount of light effects the cycle... then a strong reasoning would follow that full spectrum light therapy would lead to a significant change in our ch cycles. In other words... why move closer to the equator if you can just sit in front of a bank of lights for 12 hours or more a day?

Modified to add: Are there any ch suffers who have been blind since birth?

with warm regards,
Tony
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2008, 7:36am by artonio7 » IP Logged

For artwork
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #14 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 7:53am »

Santa Claus must be chronic then. As well as all eskimos and a number of Exxon employees.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #15 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 7:53am »

on Jan 31st, 2008, 7:31am, artonio7 wrote:
... just a thought... if the logic is that the amount of light effects the cycle... then a strong reasoning would follow that full spectrum light therapy would lead to a significant change in our ch cycles. In other words... why move closer to the equator if you can just sit in front of a bank of lights for 12 hours or more a day?

It is all to do with lux I think Tony; that is, how bright light is.  For example, a brightly lit office will give you about 400 lux, whereas day light can give you up to 100,000 (on a sunny day).

You'd need quite a few light bulbs to match the equator!

-Lee
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #16 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 8:40am »

It is at this point when I feel the collective insecurity of the CH world. Every time some one has ever told you, "take a few tylenols and lie down", or, "it seems like they come back when you start to think about them." I see threads like this and it pisses me off.

These things aren't a sore back or a sour mood. Someone can always come up with another anectdotal piece of BS that tells us something else. I had a steak at Morton's one time and it averted a headache, I watched the Pittsburg Penguins win one time, and my headache went away, if I stare real hard into the TV when Kaite Couric is doing the news I can avoid getting hit. For Christ's sake.

Sorry, grumpy today.    

Scott Angry
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #17 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 8:44am »

Roger,
We just don't have enough anecdotal evidence yet about permanent moves towards the equator helping CH.  Your experience can add to what we suspect.  But if you're taking prolonged trips away from the UK, I suspect that your positive changes are more about messing with your circadian rhythm.  When you return to your normal routine, so can the CH.

-Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #18 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 9:34am »

on Jan 31st, 2008, 12:16am, nani wrote:
There may be something helpful when one makes a move closer to the Equator.
There was a speaker at the Clusterbuster Conference who has a theory and some anecdotal evidence about it.

I see this was discussed also back in 2003 for the convention at Alexandria Bay, NY.

Quote:
The prevalence of CH is 0.4% overall. That is, CH may be 1% in New England, and only 0.1% in Brazil. The reason for this, is, they are now exploring the theory that CH is affected by environmental conditions, to include latitude. CH appears to be much more common in cold climate countries than it is in warm climates. They believe this may be due to hot climate countries being closer to the equator and don't experience the shorter and longer days of the year. This all ties in to the circadian rhythms. This also is only prevalent in CH sufferers, not in migraine, not in tension, not in sinus, etc. They believe that the circadian rhythms and the hypothalamus are triggered into derangement because of the winter and summer solstice.

Quote:
Watch the General Boards for an announcement about the Conference Report.

Incidentally, I want to mention that sharing the knowledge of discussions from the conventions is very welcome and that reading Cat's so-far unparalleled coverage of guest speakers at the NY convention in a timely manner was a benchmark in excellence.  

Check this out!

http://www.ouch-us.org/gatherings/03.htm

Thank you Cat.  Smiley

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2008, 9:47am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 9:40am »

on Jan 31st, 2008, 8:40am, seasonalboomer wrote:
It is at this point when I feel the collective insecurity of the CH world. Every time some one has ever told you, "take a few tylenols and lie down", or, "it seems like they come back when you start to think about them." I see threads like this and it pisses me off.

These things aren't a sore back or a sour mood. Someone can always come up with another anectdotal piece of BS that tells us something else. I had a steak at Morton's one time and it averted a headache, I watched the Pittsburg Penguins win one time, and my headache went away, if I stare real hard into the TV when Kaite Couric is doing the news I can avoid getting hit. For Christ's sake.

Sorry, grumpy today.    

Scott Angry

My clusters are strongly tied to the calendar and the clock. Travel can change the pattern.  It isn't a cure, it is not as simple as changing hemispheres. Yet I am convinced time-shifting can affect things (for better or worse).  
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
hotprestwich
New Board Junior
England 

Fuck the devil

Email

« Reply #20 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 11:12am »

if we all went to live in space on the space station,do you think we wouldnt get clusters?????
IP Logged

In heaven there is no beer so why not drink it while we´re here
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #21 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 11:22am »

on Jan 31st, 2008, 11:12am, hotprestwich wrote:
if we all went to live in space on the space station,do you think we wouldnt get clusters?????

Skylab?  No.  Pretty sure it fell out of orbit and burned up many years ago.  Slight miscalculation with something to do with the Sun.   Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2008, 11:24am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 1:29pm »

I think gravity has a profound effect on CH
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #23 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 1:40pm »

I've spent my entire life about 1,080 miles north of the equator.
Still get em every 2 -..5 years. I honestly don't know anyone else with CH that has grown up this far south.
IP Logged
Pfunk
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #24 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 2:00pm »

Interestingly enough, I went to high school in New Jersey and college in West Virginia. I experienced not one HA the entire time I was I was in either place. Maybe it was just coincidence or maybe I came home right on time for my cycles to star each year. Whatever it is/was. As long as I'm in SC, the HA's are horrible. There's my 2 cents( can I write that off?)LOL! Every little bit counts right?

Pfunk Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss