Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 7th, 2024, 6:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Blocked Nasal passage & Oxygen-Help »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Blocked Nasal passage & Oxygen-Help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Blocked Nasal passage & Oxygen-Help  (Read 4135 times)
Joyce
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Blocked Nasal passage & Oxygen-Help
« on: Feb 10th, 2008, 1:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Always my cluster side nasal passage gets blocked but other side remains open. Lately both nasal passages are blocked during an attack and I find it almost impossible to breathe in the oxygen. Does anyone have a solution for this? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Re: Blocked Nasal passage & Oxygen-Help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 1:53pm »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 1:51pm, Joyce wrote:
Always my cluster side nasal passage gets blocked but other side remains open. Lately both nasal passages are blocked during an attack and I find it almost impossible to breathe in the oxygen. Does anyone have a solution for this? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Try blowing yer nose.

potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 2:02pm »

Hi Joyce,

You are using a non-rebreather mask right?

My nose stuffs up on my non-cluster side as soon as I start O2 therapy.  I simply breath through my mouth.  It's a little drying on the throat but it does the trick.  In fact I've switched to a mouth tube instead of a mask.

I hope this helps...

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 2:03pm »

steam or netipots will clear you up.

Or like potter said.. give a good blow Roll Eyes

You should still be able to abort breathign through your mouth.

go get those nose goblins Wink
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 2:10pm »

The oxygen will still abort an attack if you breathe it through your mouth.  Actually, some people here prefer using a mouth tube over the mask.  You can continue to use your mask or you can find mouth tubes for your oxygen rig online.  Some links have been posted recently on some of the O2 threads here.

Mike

IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 2:43pm »

IP Logged

DragonSlayer
New Board Veteran
USA 

That pain is only 1/2 as bad as you think it is!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 3:23pm »

Moist heat can help to get your nose flowing.  "Once upon a time"  I was being treated for sinus headache and Dr. told me to use a facial sauna.  Get a vaporizer and place a towel over u'r head and drape the towel over the vaporizer.  Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't but at least I felt like I had an option instead of doing nothing.
I also got some of that Hot Mustard from a chinese restaurant, put it on a cracker and that would get things flowing sometimes, I've tried hot horseradish too but it is hard to find a really hot horseradish.
Hot shower with lotsa steam and blowing nose works too.
Eucalyptus cough drops worked too.
Just be careful, if you are really stuffed up and try to blow too hard you can pop a blood vessle in your eye or force the snot deeper into your sinus.
I've tried alot of different things to clear sinus.  You just need to find what works for you.
Hope you find something that works for you!!!
IP Logged

Mr. Spock tried Vulcan mind meld during one of my K10 hits. You saw how he reacted on TV... then the movie "he's dead Jim"... But he came back....
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 3:32pm »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 2:10pm, Gator wrote:
 Actually, some people here prefer using a mouth tube over the mask.  

wave
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Joyce
New Board Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 3:39pm »

I should have clarified my problem better, it's more like the passage is swollen, not full. And also I didn't mention that the passages are fully clear once the attack is gone. Blowing my nose accomplishes nothing. Did not appreciate the comment to try blowing my nose. That's one of the reasons why I seldom post here but I did need some expert advice.  So I thank those who responded respectfully. I will definitely breathe through my mouth if it happens again and hope it works as well.
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 5:40pm »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 3:39pm, Joyce wrote:
I should have clarified my problem better, it's more like the passage is swollen, not full. And also I didn't mention that the passages are fully clear once the attack is gone. Blowing my nose accomplishes nothing. Did not appreciate the comment to try blowing my nose. That's one of the reasons why I seldom post here but I did need some expert advice.  So I thank those who responded respectfully. I will definitely breathe through my mouth if it happens again and hope it works as well.

Well ain't we a little pissy today.

Potter
IP Logged

DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10th, 2008, 9:58pm »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 5:40pm, vietvet2tours wrote:

Well ain't we a little pissy today.

Potter

Do you listen to yourself sometimes?  Joyce here came asking for help.  You ripped off one of your patented terse, less than helpful responses and then you act surprised that she took offense?   Roll Eyes

What am I missing here?

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 3:30am »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 9:58pm, DennisM1045 wrote:

Do you listen to yourself sometimes?  Joyce here came asking for help.  You ripped off one of your patented terse, less than helpful responses and then you act surprised that she took offense?   Roll Eyes

What am I missing here?

-Dennis-

I was serious.  My mom taught me to blow my nose.

Potter
IP Logged

Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 4:40am »

Try a nasal spray before getting onto the oxygen. There are various types of antihistamine nasal spray that you can buy as OTC ( over the counter ) at the local pharmacy. That will get rid of the swelling inside the nose, which was caused by vasodilatation and histamine release pre CH hit, allowing you to breath oxygen through more easily.

Some people have even reported being able to abort a whole hit using these sprays. I think it was Thomas who posted a thread on it.  

Usually before the pain starts, you would feel some niggling pain in the temple or behind the eye, as well as the nose starting to block or run. Use the spray straight away then get onto the oxygen. I believe this can help knock the beast off quite quickly.

With these antihistamine nasal sprays, the one problem is rebound nasal congestion if using too frequently and thinning of the nasal lining tissues if using for too long. However, if this helps aborting CH hits successfully, maybe its worth this side effects.

All the best and painfree wishes to you.  
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 6:45am »

Annette is completely correct in everything she said, except for the fact that the sprays aren't anti-histamines. They're simple vasoconstrictors. If you feel like you have long term swelling or inflamation of your sinuses, you should talk to your doctor about your options.
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

« Reply #14 on: Feb 15th, 2008, 8:43am »

on Feb 10th, 2008, 3:39pm, Joyce wrote:
I should have clarified my problem better, it's more like the passage is swollen, not full. And also I didn't mention that the passages are fully clear once the attack is gone. Blowing my nose accomplishes nothing.

Hi Joyce,
What you have described is what often happens to me, both in and out of a CH cycle.  My sinuses have a low tolerance for dry air, and the CH accentuates the problem for me on the affected side.  And like you, after the attack,  things improve.  You might want to try using a bubbler on your O2 apparatus.  Check out the oxygen link (on the left), and you'll see a picture of a setup which includes a bubbler.
Some people will add ice to the water to add coolness.

-Patti    
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss