Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 9:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Killer Neck Pain »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Killer Neck Pain
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Killer Neck Pain  (Read 611 times)
Scrooge
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

Killer Neck Pain
« on: Feb 11th, 2008, 7:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was curious if anyone has a suggestion about very bad neck aches that occur during cluster periods. The pain isn't as bad as a cluster attack but it still is very uncomfortable. My trex does eliminate the pain but I need to save my shots for the clusters themselves. Is there anything I should be doing or taking?

By the way, are neck aches of this type common?

Thanks a bunch!!
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2008, 8:21pm by Scrooge » IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

Re: Killer Neck P
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 8:07pm »

Dear Scrooge:

I would guess that the stress invoked by the CH is causing you to "tense up" and causing the neck pain.  Maybe an Ibuprophen would help.  Muscle relaxers tend to be habit forming, and carry their own risks.

With best wishes,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

Re: Killer Neck Pain
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11th, 2008, 9:26pm »

Very common.  And yes, they are miserable.

Haven't found anything that helps a great deal, although ice helps some.  I will say one thing about it, though--resist the temptation to get a deep tissue massage.  Speaking only from my own experience, it doesn't help at all, and it HURTS.  Something else is going on there besides tense muscles.  Have you checked to see whether you get a "cluster lump" during a hit?  Sounds like you might.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 11:34am »

Could very well be tension headaches from the stress of CH.  I get them every cycle and also during stressful periods.  Many ways to handle tension headaches - anti-inflammatroy meds, massage, exercise, relaxation techniques, etc.
IP Logged
monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 12:11pm »

May be referred pain from the headache. Many reports of a 'cluster lump' - a ganglion or nerve cluster that swells up during a hit or cycle.
IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
Ob1kanobee
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 12:18am »

I have used ice packs, Ben Gay, o2, strong cup of coffee, pull at you hair on top of you head and Goodies powders to name a few.  
I just got rid of constant head pain for the last 5 hours with stiff neck after a CH hit right before and a strong cup of coffee took it away.
IP Logged
Scrooge
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2008, 9:55am »

I appreciate all of the feedback. I am fairly certain that my pain is not of the tension type but who knows. At least now I am some ideas.

Thanks!
IP Logged
Ob1kanobee
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 2:35am »

Try a strong cup of coffee, works for me lately on those neck pains.
IP Logged
Robaird
New Board Newbie
China 

Lasciate ogni sperenza, voi ch'entrate

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 3:41am »

Hi Scrooge,

I'm fairly certain most sufferers experience this at one time or another for various reasons. In my experience, if I so much as massage my neck during a cycle, this will almost certainly trigger a hit. Nearly all my shadows are accompanied by severe neck pain/constriction. That dread and tension invoked during a cycle or immediately prior to one may also exacerbate the condition.  

I never allow any manipulation of my neck by anyone, and I'm always very conscious of my head elevation and posture.

From my very limited research, I've begun to suspect that the carotid arterial system is involved in some way, shape or form. It may well be the constriction of this artery which is, at least partially, the cause.

Once, not so long ago, when I was shadowing hard, one Chinese doctor literally insisted that I had tension headaches (all my protestations fell on deaf ears) and proceeded to give me muscle relaxant injections in my neck. I knew he was barking up the wrong tree, and I managed to weasel some of my "cocktail meds" outta him as a trade-off, so I suffered him gladly as a kind of indulgence: I mean, I had nothing to lose! Not only did this delay the onset of my cycle, it also alleviated the manifestations of neck pain during all subsequent hits. So, I kept going back for the injections weekly like clockwork.

It kinda freed me up a bit, and like you said, even though the discomfort is nothing compared to a kip7+, it's really comforting not having to deal with that added b/s.

In any case, I know how you feel. And I don't recommend drastic medical experimentation: just saying how something worked for me, mate!

All the best to you and PF vibes!
IP Logged

Writhing on floors is "wasteful" during a nightime hit, according to my wife; she'd rather see all that expended energy put to better use, bless her! If she only knew...
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2008, 6:52am »

As you may have noticed from some of the other threads, suboccipital nerve blocks can help quite a bit for cluster in some people - the trigeminal nerve (which is directly involved with the cluster) also ennervates the occipital nerve (which runs down the back of your neck) to some degree, this may explain the neck pain, especially if it is one sided, on your cluster side
IP Logged
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 22nd, 2008, 1:46pm »

Oddly enough, when my CH started in 1989, they started with a very bad neck pain before I actually got into the headaches.  I think I had the neck pains for 2 or 3 weeks then they turned to headaches.  Of course I didn't know what they were until about 1998 or so.  I haven't had any neck pain since 1989.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss