Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 11:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Ch and yoga »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Ch and yoga
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ch and yoga  (Read 606 times)
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

Ch and yoga
« on: Feb 17th, 2008, 8:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I know that some of us in here do yoga. I found this article about yoga and chronic pain.  

Although it's not particularly about ch nor headaches, those who do yoga/consider starting it, check the article out; there are asanas/poses, which can be uselful what comes to dealing with pain.

http://www.beliefnet.com/gallery/yogachronicpain.html

Sanna

IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

Re: Ch and yoga
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 8:54am »

Do you also do the breathing exercises?  I was recently reading that the yoga exercises that involve breathing through one nostril can have a beneficial effect on the nervous system. It tends to increase brain activity in the hemisphere opposite to the nostril that is used.  Different varieties of the exercises can increase/decrease sympathetic/parasympathetic nerve activity,  to the point of lowering the pressure inside the eye!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2625214

IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:32am »

Monty,  
I practice yoga again after a break. I did my first yoga asanas sometime in 2001, but I've never been to a proper yoga class, so I'm probably not doing the yoga breathing exercises correctly. But sure will learn, if doing that can help with ch! Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

monty
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:42am »

I can't say for sure it will help with CH - zero research, and I have only recently become interested in that, so I can't say anything about the effect on me.  But anything that improves health and normalizes the nervous system is a good thing - especially when free!  
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:43am by monty » IP Logged

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:52am »

I agree; anything which can help with well-being is good. Absolutely! When I begun yoga, it helped me mentally a lot. Although I've been practicing it again just a week, I've noticed already how much good it has done.  

Sanna
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2008, 11:53am by sandie99 » IP Logged

DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 1:10pm »

I have been practicing yoga for a little over a year now.  It hasn't cured my CH by any stretch but has brought many other benefits including better flexibility, I seem to catch fewer colds, increased lung capacity, improved core strength and I sleep a lot better.  No more back and shoulder soreness waking me up Cool

While I have practiced some asana that use breath (pranayama) exclusively, it hasn't been the focus of my practice.  However in everything we do breath is linked with movement and you maintain your focus by focusing on the breath.  It keeps the mind from drifting off to that grocery list you've been mentally writing Wink

I do find that yoga has inproved my ability to focus during a lower level hit.  It does nothing for Kip8 or above.  At that point I just get swept along with the pain.  

It might be my imagination but during my last cycle I seemed to have less high kip level hits.  I have a theory that an increased ability to focus (on O2!) has kept the smaller hits from becoming bigger ones  Undecided

Then again it could just be the beast f'ing with my head  Wink

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17th, 2008, 4:05pm »

i'am sure doing yoga helpes with pain. i practice yoga every day, being that i stretch, with dumbells for increased stamina, breath deep and rest. i'am sure any yogi would laugh at my attempts, but it helps. andrew.
IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 12:46pm »

on Feb 17th, 2008, 8:54am, monty wrote:
Do you also do the breathing exercises?  I was recently reading that the yoga exercises that involve breathing through one nostril can have a beneficial effect on the nervous system. It tends to increase brain activity in the hemisphere opposite to the nostril that is used.  Different varieties of the exercises can increase/decrease sympathetic/parasympathetic nerve activity,  to the point of lowering the pressure inside the eye!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2625214

Here is a short piece on alternate nostril breathing:  

http://www.yogajournal.com/health/2108?utm_source=DailyInsight&utm_m edium=newsletter&utm_content=b&utm_campaign=DI_022008

-Dennis-
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2008, 12:48pm by DennisM1045 » IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22nd, 2008, 7:45am »

Thank you, Dennis! Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #9 on: Feb 22nd, 2008, 8:22am »

When I was doing yoga it did help me focus a little better when I felt something coming on. But when I went to full-on cycle the overheating would trigger me.  

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss