Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 10:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « still breathing »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   still breathing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: still breathing  (Read 530 times)
runningman
New Board Newbie
China 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

still breathing
« on: Feb 26th, 2008, 8:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi all, i have posted recently about breathing and inducing it via exercise. Just wanted to update. This particular cycle I am in has the markings of a nasty one, I am being whammed 9 or 10 times a day/night. But none of the attacks have gone full blown, I have had success in aborting them by doing anything to get my breathing heavy and hard. Running and climbing stairs are the most effective and quickest. The key for me has been to keep going even when it seems like it is not going to stop the pain, BUT if I get a sharp shot to the brain, I slow down and walk a bit and let the heart catch up, so it seems like oxygen flow is relevant. Also since I need to breathe really hard to abort within minutes. It helps a lot if I start right away as soon as I feel it coming on. The longer I wait, the more exercise it takes. But if it is right at the first signs, then a brisk climb up 8 flights of stairs will take the pain away, albeit for just an hour sometimes, and for a day sometimes.

PS: When I saw Judi signing her name as Gonnabeatem, it made me get emotional and just about cry, you are the only ones who understand this, everyone in my life thinks I am absolutely nuts but you guys know the drill !  I have tried many many times to make deals like "I will do anything, give anything, whatever it takes, just never let the pain come back". So far no bargain. I am almost out of this cycle, I hope.

PPS Water has helped too, gotta force it down but it definitely helps.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU, I HAVE LEARNED MUCH AND BENEFITED GREATLY FROM ALL THE TIPS HERE.... Smiley
IP Logged
darknight
New Board Veteran
Great_Britain 

Ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?

Re: still breathing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26th, 2008, 9:20am »

Hi Runningman!!!

Have you tried or have you access to OXYGEN??  

it would be better than running up and down the stairs and even when you do that the air you breathe is not pure oxygen!!
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2008, 9:20am by darknight » IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 26th, 2008, 11:59am »

I used to go for a run when an attack started. It would keep it down to a manageable level. Thank goodness I have oxygen now. I can be pain free in less then 10 minutes, often as quick as 6-8 minutes. On or off cycle I keep a stock of e-tanks, 4-8, in my car, garage and bedroom. they are my little green security blankets.

Hang in there, hope the beast is done with you this time around.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 11:59am »

you will beat this like you have in the past.  Time will pass and it will end.  Get yourself some O2 asap
IP Logged
Batch
New Board Old Timer
USA 

FOX 2 - Check 6

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 8:47pm »

Runningman,

Breathing is a great alternative to assuming room temperature... I too subscribed to your methodology of running (really jogging) many years ago as a homeopathic abortive for my episodic cluster headaches.  The results of all the jogging exercise although beneficial for my overall health, was marginal at best in reducing the duration of my cluster headache attacks.  Aside from being called to the curb by the local Police a few times between midnight and 5 am, the only thing the jogging really did was keep me from dancing around the living room and banging my head off the wall.

Being a bit older now (it happens), and hopefully a bit wiser (without being self-indulgent), I've found oxygen therapy as the others have pointed out, is clearly far more effective in aborting the pain of your cluster headache attacks in much less time without needing to go running around and scaring the neighbors at all hours of the night.

If you've not already done so, get a prescription for medical oxygen at 15 liters/minute with a good non-rebreather oxygen mask, then find a constant flow regulator good for a flow rate of 25 liters/minute or higher.

All the running around you did increased your respiration rate, and although helpful in pumping more atmospheric oxygen into your lungs, your body was burning that oxygen just as fast due to all the running around, so the net effect of increasing the oxygen content of your arterial blood flow above normal (hyperoxia), was minimal.  

Hyperoxia from breathing 100% oxygen is a vasoconstrictor as is respiratory alkalosis or hypocapnia (two fancy words for the condition you get from hyperventialting).  These two factors result in vasoconstriction and that's what aborts cluster headache attacks faster and with fewer invasive side effects than any other abortive medication available to us today.  In short, hyperventilating on 100% oxygen gets us the best of both conditions safely and without any of the troubling side effects associated with other prescribed abortives.  It works for me...  

V/R, Batch
IP Logged

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, not any before nor after, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. Man has one virginity to lose in fighters, and if it is a lovely airplane he loses it to, there is where his heart will forever be.
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 9:25pm »

on Feb 27th, 2008, 8:47pm, Batch wrote:
Runningman,

Breathing is a great alternative to assuming room temperature... I too subscribed to your methodology of running (really jogging) many years ago as a homeopathic abortive for my episodic cluster headaches.  The results of all the jogging exercise although beneficial for my overall health, was marginal at best in reducing the duration of my cluster headache attacks.  Aside from being called to the curb by the local Police a few times between midnight and 5 am, the only thing the jogging really did was keep me from dancing around the living room and banging my head off the wall.

Being a bit older now (it happens), and hopefully a bit wiser (without being self-indulgent), I've found oxygen therapy as the others have pointed out, is clearly far more effective in aborting the pain of your cluster headache attacks in much less time without needing to go running around and scaring the neighbors at all hours of the night.

If you've not already done so, get a prescription for medical oxygen at 15 liters/minute with a good non-rebreather oxygen mask, then find a constant flow regulator good for a flow rate of 25 liters/minute or higher.

All the running around you did increased your respiration rate, and although helpful in pumping more atmospheric oxygen into your lungs, your body was burning that oxygen just as fast due to all the running around, so the net effect of increasing the oxygen content of your arterial blood flow above normal (hyperoxia), was minimal.  

Hyperoxia from breathing 100% oxygen is a vasoconstrictor as is respiratory alkalosis or hypocapnia (two fancy words for the condition you get from hyperventialting).  These two factors result in vasoconstriction and that's what aborts cluster headache attacks faster and with fewer invasive side effects than any other abortive medication available to us today.  In short, hyperventilating on 100% oxygen gets us the best of both conditions safely and without any of the troubling side effects associated with other prescribed abortives.  It works for me...  

V/R, Batch

Well said.

Potter
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 10:15am »

That Batch dude acts like such a know it all...........but exactly what he said! Grin

Guiseppi

(Who LOVES his little green E-Tanks!)
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss