Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 7:59pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Ambien »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Ambien
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ambien  (Read 2693 times)
neetnut
New Board Newbie

neetnut
Email

Ambien
« on: Feb 26th, 2008, 11:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Has anyone tried ambien to help them sleep at night when having attacks?
My nuro prescribed it for me and so far it has stopped the night time hits.
It was great to finally get a good night of sleep.

Still was getting maybe 1 or so in the daytime, but it seem to lesson the pain. Not sure if the ambien helped because of the better sleep I got or what, but it has helped me.

Smiley
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

Re: Ambien
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 6:20am »

Tell me more,  because I've never heard of such a thing as ambien.  Great news that your neuro even knew to prescribe it.

Can I buy it without a prescription?
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
av8r3400
New Board Newbie
USA 

Still Alive and Kickin'

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 6:27am »

I tried Ambien CR.

It made me horribly depressed and suicidal.  Very, very scary.  I was remissed from CH at the time, but suffering a back injury.

I've stuck to diphenhydramine (Benedryl) to aid my sleeping.
IP Logged

Av8r3400

Episodic for over 20 years
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 6:38am »

I've used ambien cr with up to 12 mgs of melatonin to try to get thru nightime hits - a solid kip 7-8 will wake me up thru all of that, and then using an imitrex injector in that fog is something to get used to - you will also feel that it was all a dream the next morning.

Different people will respond to the sleep drugs (lunesta, ambien) in different ways, as far as how well they keep you asleep, and how you feel in the morning, and how you feel the next day.

Personally, I found that I felt better after a night on abien than a night on benadryl, so I switched to the ambien. I'm not getting hit at night right now, so I'm trying not to take anything at all ---

Lenny
IP Logged
lennycohen
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 6:40am »

Also - ambien is a prescription drug in the US
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 8:36am »

I'm taking the generic for Ambien, Zolpidem Tartrate 10mg for insomnia.  I've only been taking it for about a week.  So far, it doesn't even help me sleep, and no difference in number of CH.

Oh well!

Wishing you well,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
neetnut
New Board Newbie

neetnut
Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 8:58am »

I have been using Ambien for about a week and half  now, beginning to taper off. I spoke to the nuro about having trouble falling asleep when going through cluster phase. That is when he prescribed the sleep aid and I have not had any side effects to it. I have heard that Benadryl  will pretty much do the same thing and doesn't have all the side effects that prescription sleep aids do. I'm just glad it helped me through the night time hits. Like I said I was still getting daytime hits, but they were not as strong as the night time ones I was getting.

Tylenol Sleepy Time ( I believe is the name) is one that the doc mentioned also. It is over the counter and contains benadryl. He said if I was to take it, start out with one at night when I go to bed to see how it effects me, if I need to I can take two. Haven't tried it yet but did purchase some.
IP Logged
neetnut
New Board Newbie

neetnut
Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 9:07am »

Forgot to mention he also prescribed a drug called Amerge which acts like imitrex but stays in your system longer.  He explained that imitrex is an in and out type of drug. When I was getting several hits a day and using way to many shots, he gave me samples of Amerge and told me to take it when I take my second shot and no more then one in a 48 hour period (due to side effects). It is to suppose to stop the onset of headaches for up to 24 to 48 hours. I found it worked for me for about the length of time. I am so happy that my nuro is really trying to help me with these monsters and he deeply cares about my treatment.  

Hope some of this info helps you!
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 11:10am »

am so happy that my nuro is really trying to help me with these monsters and he deeply cares about my treatment.  

Hang on to that one with both hands. Finding a neuro who really cares is a major feat indeed! Couldn't be happier for you. Wink

Guiseppi

IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27th, 2008, 12:01pm »

My neuro has given me Ambien because of some of the meds he also prescribed, but it has never staved off the headaches and I still sleep the same with or without it.  I sleep great for the first three hours, unless I get a headache, but wake up every 20-30 minutes after that.
IP Logged
Ace
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 4:41pm »

I was on ambien for 3 years. Took it rain or shine, drunk or sober, every night. Stopped it a few time to make sure I wasn't addiccted. From on addictive type person to everyone, i never got addiccted to ambien!

However, i took Prednisone. And after a short stint with that drug...ambien stopped working and hasn't worked since. It actuslly will make sleep more difficult for me now.

Thanks Prednisone!
IP Logged

My Head Hurts Too
Kirk
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

161860987 161860987   kirk_jones511   krkevrtt
Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 1st, 2008, 5:17pm »

I tried Ambien. But it didn't seem to have much effect.
IP Logged

neetnut
New Board Newbie

neetnut
Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 7:45pm »

Guiseppi,  
 I plan on keeping this nuro for as long as possible. The first one I had kept me so druged up I started  having panic attacks. I litterally had to detox myself for two weeks, then was sent to the Michigan Head and Pain clinic for more evaluations. They explained to me that he had me on to high of a dose of Topamax. I can no longer take that now. Plus he had me on a few other drugs that I can't even remember now.  After getting all my reports back from the clinic my family doctor and I dicussed other nuros in the area and Dr. Zimmerman was best to handle cluster headaches. He has been my doc now for three years and counting. He is great, he doesn't talk to you like a doctor would, he speaks in simple terms. I have never been rushed through, like some offices do. He spends about 30 to 60 minutes with each patient and schedules appropriately. One thing his office does is takes a snap shot of you and has that photo on record with your information. They said it is better when they have a face to go with the name while talking to you on the phone about treatments or anything else.  
Anyway, I am holding on to this doctor. Smiley

Ambien has worked great for me and will continue to use it for as long as I can.
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 10:00pm »

Sounds like the Dr is a winner!  Hang on to him.

Wishing you well,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss