Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 10th, 2024, 1:24pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Image or not? Recurring issue. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Image or not? Recurring issue.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Image or not? Recurring issue.  (Read 371 times)
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Image or not? Recurring issue.
« on: Feb 28th, 2008, 8:30am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The value/wisdom of having a head scan is a recurring question we all face. The material I have suggests that the chances of finding some pathology in our brain is quite small, making the expense  more an issue of defensive medicine rather than clinical need.  

Knowing the exceptions is the skill of medicine! There are times when imaging is a first order response and makes it the more important to have a good headache doc "on staff". This abstract points to one of the exceptional times: a CH which does not respond to the usual treatments says: a second opinion is needful and more detailed diagnostic work (always keeping in mind--there is no 100% in medicine.)
----------
Headache. 2008 Mar;48(3):467-70. Epub 2008 Jan 11.  
Cluster headache and internal carotid artery dissection: two cases and review of the literature.

Rigamonti A, Iurlaro S, Reganati P, Zilioli A, Agostoni E.

Department of Neurology, Ospedale A. Manzoni, Lecco, Italy.

We describe 2 patients with cluster headache attacks associated with a dissection [tear] of the ipsilateral internal carotid artery at the extra-intracranial passage. These cases highlight the need for extensive neuroradiological investigation in cluster headache patients when atypical features are present. We also performed a PubMed search to review the current literature data about this association.

PMID: 18194296 [PubMed]
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2008, 7:18pm by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
danielpeterson
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Image or not? Recurring issue.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2008, 3:15pm »

The chances of finding some structural abnormality in our heads is quite small... THAT is why I have said that psychosomatic is not a dirty word. It simpy means that the psyche/mind is connected to the soma/body. Doctors OFTEN can't find a physical reason for a pain.  
THAT is why I AM trying to think outside the box. I still get my ole cluster headaches but they aren't as severe as when the doctors were trying to give me "stuff" for a condition they were not clear about.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2008, 3:24pm by danielpeterson » IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Image or not? Recurring issue.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29th, 2008, 12:19am »

Its maybe not a bad idea for those that are new at this (including the docs) to have an imaging done if some uncertainty exists.

For those docs who order these up every year they should have their skills, ethics and pocketbooks imaged.

There are exceptions as you show but they would seem a bit more obvious.
« Last Edit: Feb 29th, 2008, 12:22am by MJ » IP Logged

MJ
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss