Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 28th, 2024, 1:01pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Lithium »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Lithium
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lithium  (Read 516 times)
jpa
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Lithium
« on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 5:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I saw a new neurologist last week, she seems to actually know something about CH. She started me on 300 mg of lithium and said in one month I could get a blood test. If every thing looks ok we can increase the dose. She said we would keep increasing it until it started to help or I couldn't tolerate the side effects.

I was wondering what dose others were taking and what side effects they experienced.

thanks
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Lithium
« Reply #1 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 5:35pm »

For dose comparisons I'm male, weigh about 190 pounds, 48 years old. I use 1200 mg a day of lithium while on cycle. When we first tried it, many years ago, I weighed 165 pounds and was succesful at 900 mg a day. I started at 300 a day for a couple of days followed by a blood draw, then about 3-4 days on 600, with another blood draw, then to 900 mg, with another blood draw after about 2 weeks. (All time frames are approximate, it's been a long time!. )

Now when a cycle starts I go 300 for 2 days, 600 2 days, 900 2 days then finally 1200 a day. We don;t bother with blood tests anymore. My wife and I are well versed in the symptoms of lithium toxicity, although I have never had any problems with it.

300 mg a day is a very low dose, (If i can be so rude as to inquire about comparitive weight!!!  Wink) It might take a higher dose before you get relief. A Month seems like a long time to wait to see what your body absorbs.  

At 1200 mg a day, it blocks 80-90% of my attacks. Oxygen combined with oral cafergot handle the majority of the break thrus, with the ever occasional imitrex jab when I'm getting creamed. The only side effects, I pee a LOT for the first 2 weeks while my body gets used to it. I feel a degree of lethargy for the first few weeks but it passes. I am in law enforcement so limited as to my med options. I can fully function on 1200 mg a day without missing a beat.  

I hope it proves as useful for you. Please say they've equipped you with oxygen, that should be your first line abortive.

Wishing you peace and a short cycle.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
jpa
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 5:41pm »

Quote:
If i can be so rude as to inquire about comparitive weight!!!  

I weight about 215.

I have been using O2 for about 2 years now. I don't know how I ever got along without it before.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2008, 5:46pm by jpa » IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 6:46pm »

My husband was trialed for Lithium and he went up to 1200 mg a day as well but had to stop because it wasnt helping him that much and it gave him really bad shakes of the hands at high dose.  

Hope you have better luck with it.

Lithium is often combined with verapamil if there is no contraindication. The combination may help the person achieve a better result at a lower dose for both meds, which is better.  

IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 7:51pm »

It's my understanding that CH patients generally find theraputic levels at about half of what bi-polar patients do.

I'm currently taking 900 mg / day and have been taking it pretty much non-stop for over three years. I weigh 200 lbs. and have never experienced any indications of toxicity.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
kevmd
New Board Veteran
USA 

Who needs a hypothalamus anyway?

« Reply #5 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:14pm »

I agree with Giuseppe.  300 mg for a month is very low.  When I first started lithium, 600mg did the trick.  Currently combing 900 mg with 1200 mg of verapamil.  Do not think the lithium is helping much.  Just had my levels checked and may up the lithium to 1200 mg.  As afar as side effects, I have had some mild hand tremors but nothing bad.  Its a pretty effective drug for alot of people.  But again, i do not know if 300 mg will be enough
IP Logged
jpa
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 9:43pm »

Thanks for the info. I don't know why I was started at such a low dose. I have tried Verapamil and never got along with it very well. I really hope this is what works for me but I've learned not to get my hopes up too much. If it don't work I know I can continue fighting but it sure would be nice to kick the beasts ass for a while.

James
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 9:25am »

Lithium is a good med when used by skilled hands and by the rules. Ramping up slowly is done for two reasons: it does not go into effect quckly and so you need to give your body time to signal its response to any given dosage; and, the level at which it starts to become toxic varies from person to person and, agan, time is the only way to test your response. (Also the reason to be faithful in doing the blood work!)

It's been used for many years for mood disorders and borderline personality with some value. Before leaving N.C. a few years ago, my office just happened to be in eyesight of the surface mine where lithium is found.
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2008, 9:26am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 10:09am »

Bob makes an excellent point, I was probably vague about that in my post. Never increase or decrease any medication unless advised by your doc.

We use a lot of very high horse power meds for this condition, used correctly they're incredibly beneficial for us, but they're not the kind of stuff we should be self adjusting on! It's a point we like to repeat every so often just for emphasis! Wink

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #9 on: Mar 4th, 2008, 5:46pm »

James,  
I speak from experience .... a clusterbuddy of mine had lithium toxicity and it was very scary.

I would suggest that you ask your doc and google-up the symptoms of lithium toxicity. Familiarize yourself with them and tell your significant other or a friend or someone you see every day what the symptoms are.  
It is possible that you can get so confused if you have lithium toxicity that you can't recognize anything is happening. Those around you will notice.
I believe that there are also some dietary things you need to look out for while on lithium... so ask your doc.

Be informed and be safe and PF! Smiley

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2008, 5:47pm by lionsound » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss