Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 27th, 2024, 9:57am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « newbie to the beast, prednisone ?'s? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   newbie to the beast, prednisone ?'s?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: newbie to the beast, prednisone ?'s?  (Read 724 times)
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

..i think to myself, it's a wonderful world..

Email

newbie to the beast, prednisone ?'s?
« on: Mar 7th, 2008, 10:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

first cycle, 38 days, started prednisone 2 days ago, no attacks, finally today head not sore.............feeling kinda "teary'...........cried for 2 days, normal? also feel as if i am on some sort of speed, like those black beautys from yrs ago!!!!!!!!!! in my research, seems like ths is the "norm".....still afraid to go to sleep, as my biggies were at night, and seem to be waking "afraid"...............any thoughts would be great!!  
thanks
deb Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: newbie to the beast, prednisone ?'s?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 10:21am »

Prednisone at doses as low as 30 mg a day provides 100% relief for me. I get the "I'm on meth/speed" effect too. I don't get the emotional response, (a guy thing? Wink)

The problem with prednisone is it  shouldn't be used long term as it's very destructive to your body. We use it primarily as a transitional drug while we are waiting for our preventative medication to take effect. I go on a 2 week prednisone run while I start my lithium.

I hope you are also starting some sort of a preventative medication while you are on the prdnsone. My experience was if I took only prednisone, when I went off of it, I got creamed.  

For the bad night time hits try taking melatonin before going to sleep at night. It's an over the counter supplement available at whole food and vitamin stores, I think even Wal Mart carries it. 9-15 mg before going to sleep keeps the nite time hits away for many.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 10:32am »

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #3 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 10:49am »

Pred does those things to me, too. It also make me eat lots more.

Are you starting any other preventatives? The pred is supposed to tide you over until the other meds build up in your system. If you aren't... the attacks will return with a vengeance when you finish the taper.

Have you tried melatonin before bed?  

pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 10:49am »

thanks for the info all! since i am new to this, i didnt have my brain scan yet, hopefully next week, gotta wait for that ----insurance approval!!! doc gave me a 3 wk script, starting  40mg for 4 days, and tapering off..............this site is the best thing ! grin2 so disgusted with trying to explain this to friends/fam, actually emailed them the description from OUCH, and i believe they are on the road to understanding....tho, no one understands better than those going through the same.....like everything else in life!!! I thought 50 was the "magical age"!!!! LMAO.............first a separation after 27 yrs of marriage, then the BEAST!!! the separation is a piece of cake!!!! thanks again! Smiley
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #5 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 11:00am »

I turned 50 in August. Besides the ability of my body temperature to fluctuate to extremes in minutes...  I haven't seen any "magic".   Wink
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Stinger
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 11:03am »

I have learned to hate the Pred each cycle because it leaves me feeling very irritable and buzzy, but I continue because sometimes it helps.
IP Logged
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 11:49am »

ah nani! i also turned 50 in august! the 21st!! a leo i am....i ROAR with the best of them.................and  girlflash take those heat surges as power surges!!!! been going thru that for 11 yrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
IP Logged
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 1:26pm »

ugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg...........why cant i stop crying???????????????????????/ & pacing??/worried     pred??????????????/
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 2:38pm »

Deb I think it's likely to be the pred (((HUG))) hang in there, talk to us. We'll help all we can

lots of love
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

midwestbeth
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 4:13pm »

Ditto to what Helen said.

I went through much of the same.  Instead of pacing, I cleaned.  Washing the rug in the laundry room turned into removing everything from the room and cleaning it completely, including cabinets.  Never did get teary, instead my temper was more on a hairtrigger.  Hubby and kids kept their distance.......I think they were kinda afraid of me  Undecided

Once you taper off the pred you should be feeling more like yourself.  Hope the pred breaks your cycle and brings you some pf time.  Does the Dr. have you on any prevents to build up while you are taking the pred?  

Beth
IP Logged

Do more than exist - live
Do more than touch - feel
Do more than look - observe
Do more than read - absorb
Do more than hear - listen
Do more than listen - understand
~ John Rhodes
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 4:29pm »

Hey Deb I just noticed you share a birthday, 21st Aug, with my youngest son Jasper. He was six last birthday and he's a ch'er like us.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 7th, 2008, 6:34pm »

LeLimey...............a child with CH................makes me cry............ Cry.....but wonderful we share a b'day!!!! i am sure he is the bestest ever!!! give him a hug for me................no other meds yet, beth, as i need to do the scan first, so the doc says.....................oh, yeah i cleaned the clean stuff.....then i paced.........feeling calm now.................maybe time for that shower!!!!!....actually just watched a movie, mystic river.took my mind away for a bit.....head still sore to touch..................... tks for your words all........................
 Cry
IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 8th, 2008, 5:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Maybe turning 50 is the key to clusters , atleast for some of us. I also turned 50 in July.  Didn't bother me one bit or atleast I thought.  Now I feel like I have aged 10 years after this most recent bout.
As I mentioned in my pm I am very sensitive to all meds and the melatonin gave me hives.  This may be unusal but just in case you also have a problem and  are having trouble sleeping due to the prednisone get some other type of sleep meds.  Doctor should help you out with this.  Good luck!  Mary Ann

And to Guiseppi   ~~~    It's not fair!!!     "I don't get the emotional response, (a guy thing? )"     Cry    Just Kidding
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2008, 5:22am by beachmusic » IP Logged
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 10:39am »

5 days pred, 40mg per day, today i go down to 30mg, 5 days..................only shadows and small attacks the past 5 days,but speeding my butt off!!!!  but upon awakening today, got a pretty fierce one, downed strong black coffee amid tears, and kinda alleviated pain a bit, prob about an 9, for about 45 minutes..................ugggggggggg.....................also seems like i am sweating alot more on the pred.............. confused.........any thoughts?
deb
IP Logged
beachmusic

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 10:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

my thoughts are that the crying and the sweating are most certainly from the prednisone!!!!    
That medicine is just very very rough.
As for the ch continuing, I guess I don't know enough about prednisone tapers to answer that.  Someone else should pipe up though.  Best of luck and just try to hang in there.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #16 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 11:22am »

A prednisone taper has always put the brakes on regular hits for me by the 2nd day. As to the emotion, the best way I can describe my experience is that I don't suffer whiners gladly whilst on the stuff. In fact, I want to rip off their heads and shit down their necks. Temperature fluctuation? Yeah, I remember feeling more temperature extremes while taking prednisone. Best thing I can say is alter the temperature of your home, or wear more or less clothing.

Keep in mind that a prednisone taper is designed to stop the headaches quickly while you get onto a regimen of preventatives, like verapamil, lithium, methysergide, or whatever. As the amount of the taper decreases, the other stuff should be building up in your system. This can take 10-14 days.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 11:28am »

oh brewcrew!!!! thanks for my first LMAO of the day!!!!!!!! i guess it's a woman thing vs a guy thing!!!!!  laugh
IP Logged
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 11:44am »

since i havent had brain scan yet, on no other meds yet....guess they wanna rule out crap first............bloodwork fine, trying to get a scan appt 2day or 2moro, then maybe other meds........................starting to speed again!!! 2 bad i'm not a teenager lookin for a damn high!!!!! guess i'll throw out more of my feh's(future ex husbands) crap......................i think i may blame him for these BEASTS.................................sounds good to me!!!!  finger
IP Logged
debOUCH
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 12:13pm »

tks bob!!! printing article right now! grin2
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #20 on: Mar 10th, 2008, 9:23pm »

Hey Deb,

I'm @ exit 53....Commack.

If you need ANYTHING drop me a pm and I will give yo my #

Always good to meet another headcase  Wink

Seriously, there are a couple of us right around the corner so please do not hesitate.

What doctor ar eyou seeing?
What other treatments are you using?
Have you gotten Oxygen?
trex?

Let me know and I will be sure to help you with anything you need.

Coffee, a shoulder or an ear.

I'm always here for ya

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss